Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

650Nm 240kw 3.0l Patrol

52K views 81 replies 46 participants last post by  ACMPatrol 
#1 ·
See less See more
#4 ·
Top motor! If or when my TD42 gives up the ghost I would definately be looking at throwing the BMW engine in at that price! Also considering painting my truck that colour too! Good luck with your research! Definately interested in what you find!

The vid is also been previously posted in the YouTube thread!

#8 ·
New wiring harness for the engine $8000
New power steering pump and rack $12000
New rocker cover and gasket $4000

Pull up in any town around australia, and the mechanic will say.... Yeah go to bmw... The nearest one is 12,000km in that direction. But I know a tow truck that can do it for you at only $10 per km.

Those are the thoughts that go through my head when i see European engines....
Ive worked on bmw/merc/opel stuff and the longevity of the product seems to be.... Short.

#12 ·
New wiring harness for the engine $8000
New power steering pump and rack $12000
New rocker cover and gasket $4000

Pull up in any town around australia, and the mechanic will say.... Yeah go to bmw... The nearest one is 12,000km in that direction. But I know a tow truck that can do it for you at only $10 per km.

Those are the thoughts that go through my head when i see European engines....
Ive worked on bmw/merc/opel stuff and the longevity of the product seems to be.... Short.
But this is the case with most engine conversions. Id feel less comfortable taking a duramax for a lap around australia then a Zd30.

#16 ·
Interesting the number of jap companies that have folded or have been bailed out... aiwa, sanyo, national, Nissan, mazda, etc. whilst Japanese products may been seen as reliable they are often ugly and boring too. Thank god for Euro trash hey. US trash too.

I have a late model BMW and have has zero issues which is two issues less than my Japanese patrol. Patrol with 200kw Euro diesel... Yes please.

#17 ·
I think m57 engine is a good conversion for european Patrols.

Remember we don´t have TD42 engines in Europe (well there are a few NA TD42 in UK, Italy and I think Malta but sure not enough for conversion market).

Also it's very rare to find a Cummins or Duramax engines/parts inside EU and importing an engine from the States would cost a lot in customs taxes. In Portugal it would be impossible to mod plate an engine like this and even if you could make it legal we would have to pay the tax difference based in the old and new engine cm3 and CO2 grams. I know in Spain the law is easier and you can do engine conversions but don't know how they get away with EU emission standards.

So what we have in good quantities is bmw, merc and other european brands, we use what we have in stock.

Just to give you a figure, a Patrol conversion to m57 engine can be done for ~5000€, this is drive in drive out with all electrics and re-tune of ecu (no error codes), I would save a few € because I can do all electrics and some of the grind/weld by myself.
If you need a replacement part for the engine there's tons available from wreckers.

Here I've heard of 6 or 7 conversions with bmw engines and only con was a few water problems in electrics (only on competition Y60 Patrols) but it's easy to avoid that, just install ecu inside at higher level and good sealing where needed.

Of course in your country I would think of a Duramax with Allison trans... :evillaug:

#19 ·
It would be a good conversion. Not a cheap one but a good one.

I drive a patrol that has a engine conversion but i kept it nissan. I have the RB25 motor. Im still sorting out all the little bugs that i can find but im pretty sure its going to be a reliable engine. If it does stuff up there cheap to replace lol. Just sorted out my oil issue the hard way by spinning my bottom end. 1200 buks later new engine :/

#23 ·
Thread Dig.
This conversion seems to be the go over in europe now. Plenty of patrols with this done now. And from the vids looks like they go alright. I've always loved BMW engines (petrol ones) as they are tuff as nails and make really good figures. I believe these are out of X5's, whats their reliability been in the x5's?
Extrem4x4 Nissan Patrol swap BMW 3.0d 287HP, 3.5d biturbo 403HP - YouTube

#24 ·
No matter what you say about reliability or price of parts those engine bays look as neat and tidy as any factory unit I've ever seen.
I think this thread should be deleted and similar threads banned though as this only makes us depressed by showing what Nissan should of done and how far they actually dropped the ball.

#26 ·
The most practical conversion may end up being the 4l Ford petrol with the ZF 6 speed auto. Killa Kustom Kables is doing them for $12.5k if I read his FB page correctly. That's for the NA version, I don't know how much more for the turbo version but the ford turbo has 50% more torque than the TD42 and ZD30 at 2000rpm and with the lower first gear of the ZF it's probably double at the wheels in first.

The preliminary fuel economy is 12.5 per hundred which is equivalent to 11.0 per hundred in a diesel when you factor in petrol being cheaper than diesel. I'm guessing the turbo would use about thee same as the NA version when cruising more when having fun.

No storage of ford 4l and spares are cheap and available in the bush.

#28 ·
Just thinking back to one of DT's comments earlier about the whole European scene, in some aspects he's right, I don't foresee any late model BMW (or Mercedes) diesel engine hitting the 300,000km mark. That being said, the later "N" series BMW engines (N57, N62, N46, petrol & diesel) seem even worse suited to Australian conditions. Gaskets always leaking for a start and numerous electrical failures.

I digress though, in reference to the M57 diesel engines, I haven't come across anything in epidemic proportions. Some of the most common things I sell on that model are suspension related.

Like it or lump it, the European vehicles are here to stay, don't fight it :)

I would consider throwing one of these in my patrol IF I could run it without DPF and half the other electrical crap

#30 ·
This if from www.extrem4x4.pl website and I just translated it through google translate.
Very interesting to read if anyone is interested.

The car underwent restoration and tuning in our company Extrem 4x4 In 2013., Is completely renovated - here "completely", applies to even the smallest details.
To modifications was elected a copy of the richest equipment which served Nissan, specially imported from Switzerland with low mileage 118 tkm.
In 2013 was completely stripped to the symbolic screws.
Body - the body has been subjected to thorough cleaning and modification of the body shop, and have been removed unnecessary sheet metal brackets, which only increased the weight of the car.
Subsequently body has been protected and preserved lacquers groundwater. Fenders got a new, extensive broadening, because Patrol has significantly increased track width (extended) to improve stability, especially at higher speeds.
The frame was sandblasted and painted sequentially special lacquer layers - the outside and inside.
In connection with the BMW engine assembly is specifically converted beam entire vehicle.
It is practically built from new, heavily curtailed and simplified.
Electrician removed all the unnecessary wiring left over from the previous engine, and is not used receivers entering the beam tuningową new BMW engine.

The modern, all-aluminum engine derived from the BMW factory 3.5do power 286HP has been tuned, which now holds the power of 403HP and 813Nm of torque !!! ,
- As illustrated in the graph presented with a dynamometer.

Could be more when used gear, but this would increase the consumption firmly and durability of the unit.
Of course, before the engine BMW 3.5d-biturbo has been expertly prepared for installation in a foreign body, Nissan, ie, we have removed unnecessary pseudo-ecological equipment - such as, for example.: EGR flow meter, lambda sensor, catalytic converter and a few unnecessary sensors and tangled tubes.
In addition, we have given head tuning and polishing channels. In a turbo also wygładziliśmy surfaces exhaust parts.
Mounting lugs are made of pillows and conn gearbox.

For the fuel supply is a dual responsibility, working in parallel electric pump system, the air drawn in by the turbine is supplied by a large cone filter new generation of fine mesh stainless steel built-in special aluminum frame.
Exhaust brings light through the exhaust from the kwasówki of a just 80mm with bezoporowym silencer.
Exhale while driving "politely" is pretty quiet, but when pressed against the gas to the floor reminds dwuturbinowym engine.
The cooling system works very efficient cooler is made to order and the air compressed by a biturbo system at a pressure of approx. 3 bar !!!, compacts powerful intercooler.

For the transfer of such a large torque to the manual transmission is responsible of our design reinforced clutch, capable of withstanding loads up to approx. 1200Nm, with low self-weight and diameter of the flywheel - that it is our own creation.
Thanks to the clever design of the clutch pedal does not need to push the two legs, it gently and precisely.
Transmission remainder of the Nissan Patrol and is a proven and robust construction, has 5 gears.
The only improvement is hot plugged mechanism for shortening the work -quickshift jack, allowing you to quickly change gears.

Axle received a revised gear ratios. Quicken the main gears approx. 10% and installed larger wheels 285/75 R16 General Grabber AT2, so you can use more engine parameters in traffic conditions and road performance is power is more than enough.
Thus, the Patrol is able to accelerate to speeds of over 230 km / h and pleasant and slightly moving at 160 km / h, contenting himself with far smaller amounts of fuel than in the original - nissanowskim engine.
The front and rear axle drive used a modified lock friction plate LSD. Front nastawiliśmy approx. 25% and back approx. 70% blocking, allowing the rapid startup and dynamically maintain long be overcome cornering traction proper, which shall be submitted on performance, not just on the "burning rubber".

Patrol weighing approx. 2200 kg accelerates from 0-100 km / h in under 6 seconds. , But only when the drive 4x4.
When the rear drive attached leaves behind a black ribbon of rubber on asphalt, painting them sometimes and 3rd gear.
For deceleration care 4 ventilated disc brakes, Abs system has been removed, because its operation and so has not kept the engine and became unnecessary weight.

Suspension is mostly shock Competition - Rshox 2.7 "with adjustable hardness and gas reservoirs.
The chassis is podliftowane approx. 50mm harder springs, rear control arms are listed on the stronger - stainless steel, applied everywhere polibusze and polymer bumpers, front suspension duplicate sets of eccentric changing to a more "rally" advance angle switches.
The Patrol slightly increased wheelbase (40mm), with special przedłużkom wishbone front, which significantly contributed to greater stability and weight distribution.

The cabin we took care of style combining luxury style with a sporty spirit.
The front seats instead of factory fitted the adjustable sports seats, which are trimmed with leather in the color and style of the rest of the upholstery - which also leather seats has the described heating system was installed.
Steering wheel and pedals Sparco this product, also came additional clocks that control the engine, extended Pioneer sound system, CB-radio and a few other gadgets.
Of course remained nissanowskie original equipment such as: climatronic, electric windows and mirrors, electric sunroof, central locking, power steering, etc..

Outside lighting exchanged for newer type bixenonowe and LEDs combined with new sets of headlamps and rear lamps.
On the back we installed a hook on 3.5 tons, as if you had to pull the gun-carriage of the rally car or boat.

In summary rebuilt Nissan Patrol became a combination of off-road vehicle with a sporty, utilitarian and a little business.
Oh, this car every day for the demanding and hungry adrenaline.

Specifications:
- BMW 3.5d biturbo engine, aluminum block / head 3000 cc - the power of 403HP at 4750 rev / min, torque 813Nm 2450 rev / min
- 3 inch exhaust passage of kwasówki
-chłodnica + 300% + 200% intercooler performance over the series of BMW 3.5D
- Dual fuel system (two parallel buses BMW pumps working together)
- Manual transmission Nissan Patrol 4x4 5b + reducer, quick shift jack,
- Jednomasowe lightweight flywheel, clutch reinforced Sports 1200Nn
- + 50mm suspension, shock absorbers R-shox 2.7 "with adjustable and gas tanks, polibusze, amp. Stabilizers
- 285/75 R16 wheels (33 ") General Grabber At-2, alloy steel 4-mad ET (-65)
- Curb weight 2220 kg
- 95L fuel tank
- Performance: real acceleration 0-100 km / h = 6 sec, V-max = 230km / h, fuel consumption 10-15L ON / 100km
- Reinforced Front axle
- Accelerated steering
- Vented disc brakes, 4-wheel ABS removed
- Lock plate LSD in both bridges, front - 25% rear 75%
- Equipment: air conditioning, electric windows and mirrors, leather upholstery, heated seats, powered windows. sunroof, enhanced audio, CB-radio,
- Accelerated ratio 4.11 bridges (due to the large oversize power)
- Lighting - bi-xenon, add. LED daytime running lights, rear combination lamps

See video:

Extrem4x4 Nissan Patrol swap BMW 3.0d 287HP, 3.5d biturbo 403HP - YouTube

Reactions: timo_ed
#35 ·
i owned two bmw v8 before. i would say, do NOT do it....... in Europe may be it it OK, but in australia's hot climate.....BMW is not that good at all. you are talking about a 2.5 tons 4wd! especially leaking oil and electronic issues. if you take a look at bmw x5 site, you will see lots of problems......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.