Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

4.2 gu vs. 100 series vs. pajero

17K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  PaulnLou 
#1 ·
Hi,
I am looking for a tourer, thinking of selling the small car (VW Golf) and getting myself a tourer. Also thinking of selling my GU 3ltr and buying a toy (maybe a chopped down GQ or similar).

Anywho, I was hoping for some views as I am comparing the following for a tourer.

1. 4.2 GU. Still a bit expensive however I haven't heard anything bad about the motor. I could transfer most of the things from my GU onto the new one.

2. NS Pajero. Haven't heard anything bad about this motor either. I know a few people with these and they rave about them. We have a few at work and they go really well.

3. 100 series 4.2. I drove one for the first time yesterday. 130,000km's, 2000 model, in perfect condition. $36,990. It was tempting. impressed by the pick up of the motor when I floored it, no turbo lag.

So, you can see my dilemma. I have no idea which would serve me better for touring so your input would be appreciated. I am only looking for a tourer, maybe a 2 or 4 inch lift and has to be comfortable and reliable. Fuel consumption is a great concern, I think all are about the same anyway. About 10's on the highway.

Thanks

Mick

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Well Mick
The transfer of parts from your old GU to the new one no problems. The only thing you may encounter is the 4.2 is a heavier engine than the 3lt, so you may need up grade the front springs to a higher rating. Also everyone knows a well looked after 4.2 keeps on going and easy to repair if something does happen.
We own a NS Pajero also its the hand brakes car. So far very happy with it, more like a car to drive. But in regards to lifts you can't go to extreme 40mm - 50mm is pretty much the max due to the angle on the cv's. There have been problems with the DPF ( this is only on the auto's ) of blocking up Mitsubishi have been doing software upgrade's to cure this problem. The blocking is more prone to city or stop start driving when highway cruising the egt's are higher enough to help prevent blocking. But if this does happen the computer in the paj sensors this and increase's the fuel to raise the egt's to do a burn off sometimes if this doesn't fix it Mitsubishi will do a forced burn. Our Pajero has done nearly 10000 k's and has been a great 4wd so far. Oh and another thing this only applies to the auto diesel with the dpf you can't put any old normal diesel oil in it this will also block up the dpf the oil has to be a low SAP oil ( sulphur, ash and phosphorus ).
I have yet to drive a toyota 4.2TD, also from what I have heard the drive line is not as strong as the Nissan's.

Depends on how hard of terrian you are looking to drive the GU and Landcruiser would be a better choice for more serious off road driving. But in saying that the Pajero will pretty much get you where you want to go 90% of the time also have great fuel consumption highway cruising ours gets around 8.8 to about 9.2 lt's per 100ks but thats by our trip computer, and in time with more k's it should get better.

Rossco

#3 ·
GUMick said:
1. 4.2 GU. Still a bit expensive however I haven't heard anything bad about the motor. I could transfer most of the things from my GU onto the new one.
GUMick said:
3. 100 series 4.2. I drove one for the first time yesterday. 130,000km's, 2000 model, in perfect condition. $36,990. It was tempting. impressed by the pick up of the motor when I floored it, no turbo lag.
This was the choice I had a 2 years ago when I got my Patrol, I ended up with the Patrol for a few of reasons.
-Price, The Patrol was cheaper.
-Performance, The Cruiser we drove was auto & made the Patrol feel every bit as powerful, since ive found the Patrol severely wanting in power when towing the van. The Patrol is also thirstier ive since found.
-Solid Front end, this was the BIGGEST reason for choosing the Patrol & off road the Patrol does win in ease of 4wding. Over distance & most touring places this would be less of an issue.

If given the Choice again I think id choose the Cruser.
Reasons are
-Fuel economy
-Performance Towing
-SPACE the Patrol is VERY cramped for me in the ****pit. Makes long distance touring uncomfortable.

#4 ·
ddr said:
-Solid Front end, this was the BIGGEST reason for choosing the Patrol & off road the Patrol does win in ease of 4wding. Over distance & most touring places this would be less of an issue.
The LC100 also came out in a 4.2 non turbo diesel (incl GXL) that had a live front axle. I looked at both this option and GU TD42T back in 2002.

The issue for me was the LC was selling for the same price as the GU and you didn't get the turbo.

#5 ·
I don't know anyting about the Paj, other than good warranty period and from what i hear quite un nissan like dealer support.

I have worked on the 100 series 4.2 and the GU 4.2 in predelivery and accessory fitting, The 100 has better fit and finish and seems to go harder on the road. The GU's ok but feels cheap in comparison.

The 100 would probably be a bit easiser on juice, it's engine is more advanced and from what I remember of them reliable, they had ifs so will handle road stuff but can't be lifted all that far. The 4.2 and the V8 come with factory dual battery set ups. Heaps of interior space and lots of aftermarket goodies available for them to set up as tourers. Parts will never be an issue Toyota seem to have a dealership in just about every flea speck town in the country, whereas nissan don't. The price on the 100's seems to be coming down. The only thing i really don't like about them is the spare under the rear idea. But a nice dual wheel carrier rear bar will solve that problem.

The GU4.2 well it's the toughest 4x4 in the country, the oldest engine design and strongest driveline. From new they are quite a few dollars cheaper than the 100, they are smaller, have heaps of accessories available. Nissans dealer network is not as extensive as Yota's and from all reports in the north you will find more yotas and yota owners.

ok some quick facts. direct from the respective dealer websites:

Nissan dealers nationally = 186 by state ACT 2, NSW 55, NT 3, QLD 40, SA 19, TAS 4, VIC 39, WA 27.

Toyota dealers nationally = 305 by state ACT 3, NSW 101, NT 6, QLD 68, SA 29, TAS 4, VIC 57, WA 37.

Mitsubushi have 200 dealers nationally but their website was a pain to navigate so no ideas on the idividual states.

now before anyone gets cranky about this, i sourced the info from the nissan and toyota websites direct and only looked at dealers where service was available so not just sales only outlets.

oh and i have a Mav and am looking to upgrade from it as i tire of a worn out near 20 year old agricultural impliment...

#7 ·
The amount of pajeros I see driving around down here towing vans... The IRS sags under load and the camber of the tyres points inwards so much it must scrub the crap out of the tyres...

Personally I think the 100 series is nice, but I couldn't go that big wishbone IFS.... Hence why when I bought the next tourer it came down to the 105 series GXL cruiser with the solid front end or the patrol. I wasn't going to get a ZD30 and both the 4.2 patrol and cruisers were a little low on power... That's why I ended up with the 4.8 patrol.

I think a 4.2 would be ok, but they do tend to get warm towing... Something to be mindful of.

I spose if you are going to have a toy 4wd maybe the IFS in the cruiser would not be too bad, but they are pricey...

#9 ·
If it's a non turbo it's a 105 series with the 1HZ motor and solid axle on the 80 series chassis. If it's a 100 series its the factory turbo engine (can't remember the model but totally different to the 1hz) with different chassis.

You can generally tell the difference by looking at them by the rims. The 105's have factory minus offset rims because of the 80 series chassis and the 100's have 0 offset rims.

#10 ·
There are a lot of reports of the independent suspension in the front of the 100 series failing. there are now aftermaket kits to rectify/strengthen the problem. also reports of front diff problems also.

#12 ·
Righto, so if I was leaning, quiet heavily, towards a Pootrol 4.2, whats mods need to be done to it? I only ask cos I have done everything to my 3ltr that has been suggested. Hoping there's not so much to do to a 4.2 other than a nice truck like exhaust and the usual bar work.

Thanks

Mick

#13 ·
GUMick said:
Righto, so if I was leaning, quiet heavily, towards a Pootrol 4.2, whats mods need to be done to it? I only ask cos I have done everything to my 3ltr that has been suggested. Hoping there's not so much to do to a 4.2 other than a nice truck like exhaust and the usual bar work.

Thanks

Mick
Budget for a Turbo upgrade with exhaust & pump tune. Best money that I spent on mine & it will drive like a different car!

#14 ·
I looked at the cost of servicing, insuring and running Patrols and Landcruisers when I was shopping. I discounted the Pajeros on costs but also complexity. I thought there was too much that could go wrong with them ( even with the base spec models ). Eventually I chose the Patrol ( 3.0 tdi ) on costs to keep, run and insure. The RACWA and NRMA also reckon the Patrol was the cheapest to run as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.