High EGT post Remap - Page 3 - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > Nissan Patrol and Safari Models > Nissan Patrol GU/GR Y61 > 3 Litre ZD30 CRD Engine

Patrol4x4.com is the premier Nissan Patrol Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2017, 01:38 PM

It was said that they couldn't not that they wouldn't with the EGR.

I will speak to them tomorrow. I don't want to speak badly without speaking to them first, but at this stage it feels like a generic tune was added, like a roo system etc, rather than the car being individually tuned, which is what I wanted and what I expected to have done.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2017, 02:05 PM

Why disconnect the Dawes etc during the tune process?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-01-2017, 02:58 PM
--- The Rodfather ---

Thanked 5,267 Times in 3,726 Posts
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie-Rich View Post
Why disconnect the Dawes etc during the tune process?
There is no need to disconnect it only make sure it's setup correctly and if any doubt about the Dawes clean it out (mainly if no catch can or poorly setup catch can letting to much oil through the system, BTW I don't like removing all oil there is a place for a light mist), adjust to get the best out of it.

My Album
My Build
My Channel
ZD30DI Tech Archives
NADS, So You Bought a ZD30DI
http://powercurve.com.au/
My Dawes valve works fine! Where did I go wrong? .

Domestic Violence Has No Excuse, Rugby League Players Are Not Above The Law.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:02 PM

So I either have a faulty EGT gauge all of a sudden or something seriously odd is going on.

According to the gauge I managed a whopping 830 whilst putzing in traffic, 5th at about 70km/h. I normally drive like this, EGT's never been an issue. I saw the gauge dropping quickly so I recalled the peak. I was shocked.

I might add the gauge has worked faultlessly thus far.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:17 PM
--- The Rodfather ---

Garage

Quote:
So I either have a faulty EGT gauge all of a sudden or something seriously odd is going on.

According to the gauge I managed a whopping 830 whilst putzing in traffic, 5th at about 70km/h. I normally drive like this, EGT's never been an issue. I saw the gauge dropping quickly so I recalled the peak. I was shocked.

OK this is getting complicated, were you on full boost with needle valve closed or was it open? Basically I would select 1 operating scenario and drive it for a week or two without adjustment to see how the vehicle reacts, that scenario would be full boost/needle closed.

Let us know how your conversation with the tuner goes tomorrow.

My Album
My Build
My Channel
ZD30DI Tech Archives

Old 10-01-2017, 10:09 PM

Quote:

What kind of gauge have you got.
If it needs a power feed and gets it from under the dash some wires may have been damaged during ECM removal.

I would be more suss on a faulty gauge and or a connection somewhere. Even check your probe on the dump.
If they removed yours to fit one of their gauges during tuning it could have been set incorrectly there on also damaged.

I only say this as my experience with your tuner is that they are super spot on with tuning.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 11-01-2017, 08:45 AM

Needle valve was about 3 turns open. At the time I would have been about 1500-1700 rpm and very light accelerator. Guessing about 15psi boost. As I said I just saw the egt gauge dropping rapidly. Was more concerned with the traffic!

Max Chickens, this is why I picked them and I was hoping for far more out of this tune.

Will report back after conversation.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:12 AM
--- The Rodfather ---

Garage

Quote:
Needle valve was about 3 turns open. At the time I would have been about 1500-1700 rpm and very light accelerator. Guessing about 15psi boost. As I said I just saw the egt gauge dropping rapidly. Was more concerned with the traffic!

Max Chickens, this is why I picked them and I was hoping for far more out of this tune.

When you say the gauge was dropping rapidly, was it unexpectedly rapid? You could have some sort of intermittent earthing issue, I've seen this make gauges swing unexpectedly.

My Album
My Build
My Channel
ZD30DI Tech Archives

Old 11-01-2017, 10:00 AM

Was unexpected enough for me to notice something amiss in my peripheral vision.

Thought an odd earth would make the gauge read zero not high.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:12 AM

Car is back to tuners Friday.

Happy they didn't wipe their hands of the problem!
Old 11-01-2017, 11:36 AM
--- The Rodfather ---

Garage

Quote:
Was unexpected enough for me to notice something amiss in my peripheral vision.

Thought an odd earth would make the gauge read zero not high.
I had one a few years ago and dash did very strange things, not only but including my temp gauge intermittently going up to around 3/4 where it had never been, but then it would drop back to normal......

My Album
My Build
My Channel
ZD30DI Tech Archives

Old 11-01-2017, 05:15 PM

Also the guys I bought the gauge off, Road Runner Offroad, are going to send me a new probe to see if that is the issue.

I'll report back soon.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Car is back to tuners Friday.

Happy they didn't wipe their hands of the problem!
This is an unfortunate set of circumstances but it is good to know they are following up lickdy split.

Im confused as to what more you had hoped to get out of the tune? Not enough go?
Try not to get caught up in the numbers game but the percentage of gain.

Hope all works out for you.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 11-01-2017, 08:58 PM
--- The Rodfather ---

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxChickens View Post
Ed Zackery. I haven't posted dyno numbers for years they really don't mean that much to anyone else but the person getting it done and even then really only in comparison to what your last one was on the 'same' dyno.

My Album
My Build
My Channel
ZD30DI Tech Archives

Old 12-01-2017, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxChickens View Post

Im confused as to what more you had hoped to get out of the tune? Not enough go?
My truck has always been pretty good for me, slightly gutless, but got the job done. Cruise at 110 or 100 whilst returning 12l/100. EGT's have never been an issue. Foot to the floor going up Kalamunda Rd in 4th would not go above 550.

I was hoping to safely increase the boost, make sure it is usable power available low in the rev range, cause I rarely go past 3000rpm, and reduce my reliance on the needle valve. If through all of this I ended up with more power then awesome, but I was chasing drivability.

I also told them that towing, whilst occasional, does happen.

Last Thursday driving into a headwind on the freeway I wasn't able to achieve a EGT below 500 with 1/2 decent economy, this has never been an issue. Then towing 500kg saw the egts go crazy, this is not what I would call drivability or tuned.

Maybe I do expect too much and maybe I have listened to too many people on this forum, but most highly praise the retune on the CRD as it works very well.
Old 12-01-2017, 02:20 PM

Garage

I too had my 2012 auto remapped. Noticeable drive ability difference. Seemed to be good until o drove up redhill towing a little 6x4 trailer with abit of rubbish. And near the top went into limp mode, never had limp mode before ever.
Rang the company that did the tune and they were more than happy for me to bring it in and them to look at it. From my understanding they just wound the boost down from 19 to 17.
Than these holidays went to Pemberton with the family going up a couple of hills with the camper and yep limp mode again and egts quite high to. Not happy!
So will be giving them another call for them to sort it out. Seems to run rich or something.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:16 PM

I don't know the exact circumstances surrounding what happened here, I was stuck in the office answering calls and doing some other things.
There is never a issue if a customer is not happy with the outcome, always happy to revist and address concerns.
Only flicked through some comments, but it is not always possible to turn the egr off easily. Software has anomalies, we need to source new drivers constantly to be able to do this. Unsure what happened in this situation. Pretty sure it wasn't this car, but had a crd the other day that we tried 3 different Dawes/tillex setups on to get control of things how we wanted. Non of which really wanted to play the game.
I am no 3lt guru, no aspirations to be one either, but I can certainly address any concerns you have, and sort out a favourable outcome if approached.
Old 13-01-2017, 09:12 PM
Part Of The Furniture Round Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowlan90 View Post
I too had my 2012 auto remapped. Noticeable drive ability difference. Seemed to be good until o drove up redhill towing a little 6x4 trailer with abit of rubbish. And near the top went into limp mode, never had limp mode before ever.
Rang the company that did the tune and they were more than happy for me to bring it in and them to look at it. From my understanding they just wound the boost down from 19 to 17.
Than these holidays went to Pemberton with the family going up a couple of hills with the camper and yep limp mode again and egts quite high to. Not happy!
So will be giving them another call for them to sort it out. Seems to run rich or something.
They do have a type of limp mode like the old Di had which activated when the boost was held over 17psi for a predetermined time, around 15 seconds or so. Only in the automatic from what I have encountered ( Might explain if/why they didnt know about it when mapping)

It is a table in the tune that probably should have been addressed rather than turn the boost down.
16-17psi is stock boost basically, its kind of hard to get any meaningful gain in power without an increase in egt without lifting it.
The stock turbo is more than capable of running 24psi efficiently and reliably. I personally set most of them around 22psi for an extra safety buffer, but ill tell you now the difference between 17psi and 22psi in regards to egt is massive.

The turbos will generally fail in a relatively short time frame if they are producing 27psi.
that much i have learned from personal testing.

The other thing that really needs addressing with any crd patrol is the fuel system. The stock relief valves leaks like a sieve even at stock rail pressures if you have 60K+ km on there. Get it tested before doing any mods.

Lack of rail pressure is like lack of blood pressure. Not good.
The pressure sensor itself is also prone to a sliding scale loss which pushes the actual vs demanded ratio out of balance (this is normally why the stock relief valve starts failing even on standard setups)

Mechanical & Electronic Engine Tuning Guide
The Following User Says Thank You to DieselTuner For This Useful Post:
jack180 (13-01-2017)
Old 13-01-2017, 11:20 PM

Hopefully all, sorted.
And egt gauge recall doing some weird ****.
Richard has a replacement organised.
Old 14-01-2017, 06:18 AM

Are they racetech gauges?
The Following User Says Thank You to hz_350 For This Useful Post:
killercat (23-01-2017)