High Pitch Noise - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > Nissan Patrol and Safari Models > Nissan Patrol GU/GR > 3 Litre ZD30 CRD Engine

Patrol4x4.com is the premier Nissan Patrol Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2016, 07:54 PM

Default High Pitch Noise

I have this high pitch noise that just started the other week when I towed my burnout car. I'm thinking boost leak but it doesn't really sound like that. My mate thinks it is the egr block gasket. I also read something about manifolds warping or something but surely that would just be an exhaust leak. As frustrating as it is towing with this stock, I don't want to be wasting cash on it as I have a duramax on it's way to me now.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2016, 08:16 PM
The Member Formerly Known As Idiot 1 :)

Thanked 1,134 Times in 828 Posts
Garage

I had hi pitch sound. only when engine real warm and at 80 to 100 kmh, was warped manifold. depends what speed you are doing it could also be idler pulley bearing. don't do anything just chuck the dura in.
Old 06-11-2016, 08:27 PM

It's not the idler pulley. It is more when you have your foot buried or pretty often when towing.

The Duramax is due on the dock mid Dec. Was still hoping to use the patrol to tow to Summernats in Jan. I don't think my bank balance will be healthy enough to really put it in until march/April also. Will start collecting parts in the meantime though.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 07-11-2016, 08:32 PM
Part Of The Furniture Round Here

The reason they make that high pitched screeching sound is because the exhaust manfiold area is under considerable pressure unlike an aspirated engine.
What ever amount of boost you are running, the exhaust manifold is under that at least, and then some.

When the high pressure air blows past the steel gasket, it can make it vibrate causing that horrible noise.
Its like having 2 pieces of paper and blowing through them, same principal and similar sound.

Mechanical & Electronic Engine Tuning Guide
Old 12-12-2016, 03:06 PM

Check for boost leak on intercooler hoses . I had same issue last year