Turbo Oil Leak - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > Nissan Patrol and Safari Models > Nissan Patrol GU/GR > 3 Litre ZD30 CRD Engine

Patrol4x4.com is the premier Nissan Patrol Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2017, 01:56 PM

Default Turbo Oil Leak

I know that it is natural for the turbo to leak oil but is there a point where the turbo is leaking too much? I would like to know so if I need to replace the turbo, I can start budgeting it for UFI one.

The reason I say this is that on the weekend, all my intercooler pipes popped off in the dunes due to the oil. Boost was at 20psi and outside temp was 38C. Sure heat and boost was high but it isn't anywhere close to its limits.

I have a Provent 300 catch can installed and I know Delo 400 oil produces a fair amount of oily mist.

Edit: I tried a google search but didn't get anywhere.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2017, 02:19 PM
--- The Rodfather ---

Thanked 4,497 Times in 3,185 Posts
Garage

Difficult question to answer, popping off hoses is not uncommon, especially if you have had the hoses or IC off and not cleaned the pipe and hose thoroughly, I'm not a believer in removing every bit of oil from the breathing system, so I don't, I like to have a little bit go through, so for that reason there will always be a bit of oil around the pipes, this means that after I have cleaned and assembled the pipes that I must re tighten the clamps once the vehicle has done a few K and warmed up, and check them again in a few more K, that way it doesn't matter how much oil goes through the intercooler the hoses won't come off, I run 21psi all day and all night (it's actually 22-23psi at the moment for some reason) and I know I have some oil in my system, haven't had a hose come off since I religiously followed the rule I said above.

My Turbo has 319,000k on it now, and it's got more left even though I know I have a bit of comp wheel tip damage, they are pretty tough unless you treat them really bad.

If you want to check how much oil is coming through, pull the hose off the turbo inlet and see what is getting past the catch can, then pull the turbo outlet hose off and see what is in there, clean them both and re check in a week or so.

My Album
My Build
My Channel
ZD30DI Tech Archives
My Dawes valve works fine! Where did I go wrong? .

Domestic Violence Has No Excuse, Rugby League Players Are Not Above The Law.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-01-2017, 08:11 AM
Part of the furniture around here

Thanked 2,603 Times in 2,166 Posts
Garage

@Togenshi

At the time of Provent install did you also clean IC and it's pipes out?
Old 06-01-2017, 11:21 AM

Yeah cleaned the IC with petrol and wiped down the pipes. There was a good amount of oil around the throttle body too. I have the CCIC as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to Togenshi For This Useful Post:
troytheboy (06-01-2017)