Zd30 normal operating temperature - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > Nissan Patrol and Safari Models > Nissan Patrol GU/GR > 3 Litre ZD30 DI Engine

Patrol4x4.com is the premier Nissan Patrol Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2017, 05:02 PM

Garage
Default Zd30 normal operating temperature

G'day Guys,

I'm just about to go for a 1200km drive and I thought I might go for a drive just to see how everything went.
When I'm doing over 100km/h my engine temp is sitting on 98c and even hit 100c. I'm reading the temp through nissan datascan
I don't know the operating temp range for a ZD30 but my gut feeling is thats too high.

Its just had a coolant change out and radiator flushed with tap water. It was clean with no debris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2017, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4tho View Post
G'day Guys,

I'm just about to go for a 1200km drive and I thought I might go for a drive just to see how everything went.
When I'm doing over 100km/h my engine temp is sitting on 98c and even hit 100c. I'm reading the temp through nissan datascan
I don't know the operating temp range for a ZD30 but my gut feeling is thats too high.

Its just had a coolant change out and radiator flushed with tap water. It was clean with no debris
Hi M4tho,

Will start firstly with the coolant change. Was the same coolant used again? I.e no mixing of brands and colours?. If different coolant types and or colours. (Even the same colours but different brands). was a changed in. and the system was not flushed enough to remove all residue of coolant.

It can cause a chemical reaction and cause the coolant fluid to "gel". Which ends up blocking the coolant flow internally in the radiator.

Hoping you had used either a premix or if concentrate has been used that it was diluted with distilled water or similar. Not tap water.

The other issue which may be more likely during Highway speeds is the viscous fan. If the fan is working incorrectly it will not "engage" and force more air through the radiator when required to reduce temperatures.

Hopefully this will help. My water temperature zd30 di will sit at 90 all day towing or not towing when driving either highway or in town. But I have never seen over 95. When the system was working correctly.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk
Old 11-01-2017, 06:49 PM

Zd30 di auto
All day 88 - 89 except a 35 degree plus day with Aircon on and towing camper would see 92-93 degrees.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-01-2017, 09:07 PM

Garage

I rang four different mechanical places and they all said that temperature rang was fine.

One was a big name radiator/coolant system repairer, a highly reputable 4wd repairer in Perth, an automotive repairer who explained how coolant works in a thermodynamic calculation and a Nissan Dealer.

All of them asked about the gauge and where the needle was. Just below the half mark. Nissan said it runs between 1/4 to 3/4 mark.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:47 PM
--- The Rodfather ---

Thanked 4,496 Times in 3,185 Posts
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4tho View Post
G'day Guys,

You could be just seeing a range of std deviation, it sounds a little high to me but still within the range a cooling system can handle. The sensor that the ECU reads eng temp from is different to the one the gauge reads from, the gauge is not a truly reliable method of reading as they have some bad habits. Mine normally stays within the range of 84-87c but when towing will get into low 90's. If the pressure cap is sealing and functioning correctly the system can handle temps of 105c quite easily but those temps would make you start looking for a reason. Just a question you don't have tap water in the coolant mix do you.

My Album
My Build
My Channel
ZD30DI Tech Archives
My Dawes valve works fine! Where did I go wrong? .

Domestic Violence Has No Excuse, Rugby League Players Are Not Above The Law.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-01-2017, 03:48 PM

Garage

Quote:
Just a question you don't have tap water in the coolant mix do you.
Thanks GU2 No definitely not, that a good way to start corrosion in the system. I'll drive it so the temp doesn't go over 100c
Old 12-01-2017, 10:30 PM
--- The Rodfather ---

Garage

Just remembered a coolant temp survey I did years ago and put in the DI archives, here it is.

Coolant Temperature Survey

My Album
My Build
My Channel
ZD30DI Tech Archives

Old 13-01-2017, 11:43 AM

Garage

87 C all day every day during all weather conditions

Have seen 88 C while towing though
Old 14-01-2017, 10:10 AM

Garage

On a recent trip up to the ViC high country towing my 2T+ van during those last lot of stinking hot days I got up to 101 deg at one stage (on the ECUTALK). My EGTs were very high at that time too. But most of the time whilst towing it sat around the 88 to 90deg mark. Not towing she sits on 86.
Old 14-01-2017, 10:30 AM
--- The Rodfather ---

Garage

Guy's, feel free to update the coolant temp guide thread I linked here from the archives.

My Album
My Build
My Channel
ZD30DI Tech Archives

The Following User Says Thank You to geeyoutoo For This Useful Post:
skegbudley (16-01-2017)
Old 14-01-2017, 12:37 PM

m4tho

check your air filter.... if air filter is blocked or very dirty it causes high temps in the engine
Old 16-01-2017, 09:20 PM

Garage

The vehicle made it alright and the gauge never moved but at one stage reached 99c. I did have one eye on the temperature all the way down. Average speed was between 100 to 115km/h and used 12Ltr/100

Quote:
check your air filter.... if air filter is blocked or very dirty it causes high temps in the engine
Yes it had a new air filter in... would have had only done 400km
Old 17-01-2017, 05:57 PM

I can hit 97C carrying 1300kgs and towing 1900kg camper if i really push up greenmount hill (perth people will know, its a big hill) in 5th.

Normally any other time it gets to 93c max and 88C min.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk