Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical Archives for ZD30DI, contains general info and Electronic Manuals for all GU's

169K views 18 replies 1 participant last post by  geeyoutoo 
#1 · (Edited)
Links within contain valuable information for ZD30 DI owners (and CRD owners) both new and old. Info will be added as it becomes available. Some threads have their roots in the main GU/GR section. This thread is to be read in conjunction with the archives in the General Patrol Discussion section. Please PM me if a link does not work or PM me if you think of a good inclusion

Geeyoutoo

NEWBIES NOTE

1. Please Search for information before posting a question, this helps reduce repeat questions, a common problem. Search can be narrowed by doing a Custom Search, some patience is required.

2. Help us help you by adding info about your vehicle, this can be done in your signature line, model, engine, etc. Your location can be put in the upper right hand corner where your post count is, this info helps us understand your situation a little better from a point of view of access to spares etc, without extra posts asking where you're from. To do all this go into User CP (upper left corner of any page in the menu bar) to access the above info input menu.

Read on, hope the system helps you.

Here's a place to start which explains NADS and the often read misinformation about the ZD30DI, here is what to look for and what to avoid.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
#3 · (Edited)
Post 3 NADS

Post 3. NADS
NADS
NADS stands for "Nissan Anti Detonation System" This was developed by many learned guy's on the forum to combat the issues with the early ZD30 DI's. The first post is a brief description of NADS, the logic behind doing them in a series of steps and the reasons for the modifications, also a notation on heads. Not a "how to" as that info is available on the forum in volumes with a search, a good deal of it on this page. Once you have finished NADS you should be able to qualify for this ZD30 Heat Shield Removal Laceration Club :)

NADS Step by Step guide to doing NADS mods by Dronus.

Dawes Valve Dismantle and Adjustment - YouTube

Intermitent Limp Mode At the start of each winter we get questions about intermittent limp, it's called cold limp.

Dawes-Devices 3 Bar Racing, The original Dawes, needle valves and multi stage boost controllers etc.

Dawes Spring + Optional HD spring install Steps Info about and Instructions for fitting and setting up the optional HD spring to a Dawes valve.

DV-06: HYDAC Optional needle valve for Dawes installation.

Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR), NOx and particulate measurement | Cambustion A brief look at the EGR system for new members, EGR articles always espouse that the EGR valve contributes to cooler combustion temperatures, my experience was the opposite, my EGT dropped by more than 25c after my EGR blocked itself, go figure.

Nissan Patrol ZD30 Engine Problems

What Makes a Grenade a Grenade

Manual Boost Control Set Up Options Post 27 has a brilliant description by whitie of VNT/Needle setup reasons.

#4 · (Edited)
Post 4. MANUALS & PAPERS BOSCH VP44

Post 4. Manuals and Papers Bosch VP44

VP44 Injection Pump Manual There are 6cyl and 4 cyl versions, this covers both including the ZD30DI. There is not a lot of info on the web about our 4 cyl version but there is a lot of info re the US 6 cyl version. Lift pumps were a common addition to some US trucks around 2000, due to extra load, which didn't have them as standard, a lift pump does wonders for ours as well, giving a good boost to low end torque. Look in "Modifications"

BOSCH VP44 INJECTION PUMP AND LIFT PUMP FAILURES EXPLAINED - Diesel Bombers VP44 thread from a US Diesel Bombers Forum with some interesting points.

VP44 Diagnostic Another US VP44 article with a number of tests, codes are obviously different to ours.

Injector Pump (Bosch VP44) Calibration Local comment on VP44 calibration, what can and can't be done.

EDC Removal Instructions - Bosch VP44 - YouTube For the more adventurous.......

Lift Pump Help Mainly about effects of lift pump on VP44 cooling, the pressures spoken of are higher than I would like but they seem to have no adverse effect. US 6cyl VP44, basically the same pump with 2 extra rotor points and outlets, same electronics.

Fuel Pressure Specs for Bosch VP44 IP (6cyl 24v Cummins) Interesting article on lift pumps and pressures. Not our DI pump but they work on the same principles so I see no reason for this to not be helpful. I have had this article for many years.

#5 · (Edited)
Post 5. MANUALS & PAPERS Garret VNT (GT2052V)

Post 5. Manuals and Papers Garret VNT (GT2052V)

Garrett | FAQ Garret page with some good base info.

VNT15-Turbo Not the same turbo we use but similar, an interesting read of the strip down and how it works for the uninitiated and new members. There is an interesting animation of the NGV/VNT operation at the end.

Garret Statement

Garret Non Repair Bulletin Garret VNT bulletins, read and make of this what you will.

Turbocharger, VNT, and diesel turbo FAQ | VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze diesel forum Interesting general VNT turbo info.

ZD30DI VNT Aircooled Turbo Teardown I got hold of a damaged turbo and stripped it.

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
Post 6. MANUALS & PAPERS - TRANSMISSION

Post 6. Manuals and Papers - Transmission

A bit of info on LSD's for the uninitiated, there are many types, Eaton just seem to have the most information out there and for my money (if I had that much) the E Locker would be my choice of weapon, excellent diff but expensive.

Detroit Locker - YouTube

Lock Right Locker - Part 1: How it works [HD] - YouTube

Exploded View - Inside the Eaton TrueTrac Differential - YouTube

Exploded View - Inside the Eaton Suretrac Differential - YouTube

How Eaton's E-Locker Technology Works - YouTube

Airlocker operation - YouTube

Ashcroft Air Locker - YouTube

Also found this helpful item on fitting an LSD to the front of your GU yourself:

How to fit a diff locker in a GU Patrol - YouTube

#7 · (Edited)
Post 7. MANUALS & PAPERS - ENGINE

Post 7. Manuals and Papers Engine

Low Water Alarm Sensor Save your engine when sudden coolant loss occurs.

#8 · (Edited)
#9 · (Edited)
Post 9. WORKSHOP MANUAL DOWNLOADS & PAPERS - GENERAL

Y61 Workshop Manual to Supp 23 no password necessary as this is now on a storage site I use to send docs out, try it, no preview is shown for PDF.
Y61 Workshop Manual to Supp 15 Some may prefer this version as it is easier to negotiate, again no preview.
D22 Workshop Manual Navara Manual, no preview, download only.

Y60 Workshop Manual

GQ Manual With More Engine Types

Nissan Datsun 160-61 Workshop Manual

PLEASE IMMEDIATELY INFORM ME IF LINKS FAIL.

PartSouq This is a very handy site, put in your VIN and vehicle details will be shown as well as various parts descriptions in the area below.

WorkShop Manual in Italian Supplied by Slowman65, download from post, thanks mate.

The Bible Colour

Cooling System Bible

Snorkel Fitting Instructions Y61 ZD/4.2/4.8

Body Tech, Early GU

Patrol Parts Manual LHD/RHD 1987/2007

Autotech Common Rail WorkShop Guide Not specifically for our CRD's.

Eaton/Harrop ELocker Installation Manual

How a MAF works

ECU Fault Codes and Pinouts

ECUTalk Userguide.pdf

Coolant Fundamentals

How a Cooling System Works

Diesel Smoke Explained

Diesel Smoke Explained 2

Discussion Papers on Diesels. Thermoguard

Diesel Lambda sensors for common rail systems Base general info on injection for diesels.

Off-Road Driving Basics | The Art of Manliness Even though it is written by a Toyota Guy and I don't necessarily agree with everything, it is still an interesting basic read for people new to the game.

Barbed Hose Fitting Chart For those special projects.

Decibel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Understanding the decibel range for those straight through exhausts ;).

Vehicle Standard (Australian Design Rule 13/00 – Installation of Lighting and Light Signalling Devices on other than L-Group Vehicles) 2005 Amendment 4

#10 · (Edited)
Post 10. MODIFICATION THREADS

Installation of the CRD engine

Small Barn Door Won't Stay Open, Here's a Trick.

GU Small Barn Door Strut Mod

Swirl Valve and Throttlebody Mod

Jaycar Digital MAF Voltage Modifier + TurboSmart Fuel Cut Defender (FCD2) Different methods of controlling multiple and singular MAF limp modes

JayCar MAFv Modifier adjustment tips video.

Water Injection for Diesels + Water Meth Injection on a ZD30, what results?

Fuel Temperature Including fitting of coolers and technical data.

ECUTalk + ECUTalk Instal (click on each pic) Best money you will spend (see post #9 for ECUTalk User Manual).

ECUTalk Consult Software Now Supports Diesels.

Cross Country Intercooler Install ZD30

Provent Drain Automated

Dawes Valve Setup Options

Dawes Valve Dismantle and Adjustment Video

Dual Dawes with Needle Valve Setup Video

Adjusting VNT Grubscrew (click on each pic)

Carter 4600HP Lift Pump Install[/COLOR] Includes spill line mod and complete parts list.

Auto Trans TC Lockup Switch + Line Pressure Solenoid Dropping Resistor

Engine Temperature Sender, Aftermarket

High flow MAF sensor housing and Airbox upgrade

Elocker Install, GU Front

Converting Auto Hubs to Manual, Pictorial

Ideas for location for relays and fuse blocks

Exhaust Heat Shield Removal Problem (tongue in cheek)

GU Flares removal, repairs, tips & tricks Interesting tips on Flares and cleaning mud from behind them.

Aftermarket Cruise Control with OEM SW switches panel Good write up on Cruise Install.

Increasing standard main/sub tank capacities

Boost Control VNT Vacsol VNT + 3 Needle Valves

Central Locking Install (GU 2007 DX) - Supercheap Auto Kit

#11 · (Edited)
Post 11. MAINTENANCE THREADS

Post 11. Maintenance Threads

Why All The Talk Of MAF Cleaning ?

3.0l fuel filter change Don't forget the small "O" ring under the fuel filter housing.

ZD30 oils and coolant guide A survey of our members on oils and coolants.

Cleaning Coolant Expansion Tank couple of good tips here

Saving your ZD30 Tensioner from Failure A common failure when a lot of mud is played in. (Just ask Deccers).

Belt tensioner ZD30 - strip and lube NOTE* Considerable care needed when disassembling, contents under load from a heavy spring, injury may result from careless handling.

ZD30 Y61 Belt Tensioner Bush - Drawing

MAF Cleaning Important part of maintenance on a ZD30, many of us clean the MAF at each 10,000 service interval.

Coolant change. Coolant change has lead to significant problems for some of our members, this gives some ideas and outlines danger areas.

ZD30 Coolant Drain Plug Location bloody hard to at leta lone get out.

How much oil required for ZD30 "with or without fillter Change Straw poll General discussion on oil changes, how much is used, circumstances when draining, brand and weights, change intervals for different modifications, good enlightening read in addition to the "Oils ain't Oils" thread.

ZD30 exhaust manifold gasket removal Good advice re manifold gasket replacement.

Body Mount Change DIY

Body Mount, Change or Not

Handbrake drum adjustment

GU Changing Thermostat (ZD30)

removing heater core

Small Barn Door Won't Stay Open. See post #12 for a fix without fitting a strut.

Small Barn Door Stay Open Fix Without Fitting a Strut.

Bloodless headlight bulb change

#12 · (Edited)
Post 12. GEN INF THREADS - POLLS AND SURVEYS

Post 12. Gen Inf Threads - Polls and Surveys

EGT Survey ZD30DI (Part 2) See first 3 posts. Summary of the old Survey, Auto's (post #1), Manual's (post #2), Data Template (post #3). From the summaries you will not only find what EGT to expect from your DI with different modifications and transmissions, but you can also find the most popular gauges, exhaust systems (brand and size), egt probe mounting position etc, etc.

ICV% Survey (ECUTalk) Data on VP44 possible relationship to pump life and efficiency.

How many K's has your ZD30 DI done? if rebuilt when did it blow? add 2nd round of K's A WIP survey of K's on DI engines.

What life did you get from your Alternator An ongoing poll on alternator failures.

Bosch VP44 IP, how long do they last on average? Ongoing poll re the lifespan of the ZD30 DI Bosch VP44 Injector pump

ZD30 Grenade, Definitive Blowup Poll An ongoing poll on ZD30 engine failures.

Solid Flywheels and ZD30 engines An ongoing poll on DMF v Solid Flywheels.

ZD30 Original Clutch Life As the title suggests.

preferred diesel Fuels. BP Ultimate Diesel/ULP a bit more info on BP ultimate.

Coolant Temperature Survey Survey of coolant temps across the board.

#13 · (Edited)
Post 13. GEN INF - ENGINE / TRANSMISSION / HARDWARE

Post 13. Gen Information - Engine, Transmission, Hardware

What is This Knock The thread this answer came from is about a knock in an SD33T, but the explanation of what does what given by @edb covers just about all engines, great explanation if your looking to learn.

ReMapping the DI ECU A long thread with twists and turns that was started before it could be done, At post #104 we start to see some action. Mine has been done for a long time now and it is great. Have put this in both mechanical and electrical sections as it suits both.

Diagnosing and Rebuilding 2003 ZD30DI Jakes rebuild.

How to fit a Cobra Head to the Airbox.

Replacing the Airbox lid seal cheaply and effectively.

Towing in 5th Gear Discussion on 5th gear failure with pre 2002 GU's (Nissan modified the box in 2002) which is quite common, particularly when used for towing, post #41 has some good pics that visually explain the reason.

Increasing the size of the IC inlet tubing.

ZD30di rebuild [worklog] Rebuilding a ZD30DI from scratch, heaps of pics.

GU 5th Gear Failure

How synchro rings work First post has an interesting vid on how synchros work if you don't know.

GU Small Diff/LSD Syndrome. Diff info, how to read what you have.

Converting Auto Hubs to Manual, Pictorial

Sump plug thread? A little confusing at first, but the sizes of both sump and diff/gearbox plugs are contained within.

ZD30 Air Filter - which way up? Eternal debate about which way the air filter is fitted, in short... Lip Seal Down, reasons contained within.

Oils ain’t Oils An in depth look at engine oils, very good info, if you take the time to read the thread, like a lot of threads good info can be buried in the banter.

ZD30 oils and coolant guide Bit of an oil and coolant guide based on peer info.

Inside the ZD30 If you have never seen inside a ZD30 you can here, some good info.

My zd30 rebuild... A new members rebuild with lots of good informative pics, well worth the read.

Bosch VP44 ICV%, what does it actually realy mean?

Issue with VP44 Injection Pump General info on a Bosch VP44 fuel pump problem.

Help - another overboosting problem A lengthy read on how a small limp issue developed into a humungous exercise, the data collected along the way is well worth catching up with. Page 9 is where it starts to come together. Info includes common issues with VNT vacuum & adjustment, MAF voltages, boost readings and stock vs modified characteristics.

head gasket One members experience with what turned out to be a cracked head and gasket failure.

Result of EGR mix with breather oil in ports Discussion on gunk that forms in the throttle body etc and moves onto things like sump levels, dipstick part numbers and lengths, good info with international input.

2 stroke oil in your diesel fuel A long and winding thread.

Engine Warm Up Discussion on practices.

Intercoolers, the Pros and Cons of various brands. As the title suggests.

ECUTalk ICV % ??? One member chasing an issue with VP44 low Idle Control Valve %. Followed up by a survey of members experience, see Surveys and Polls.

Water cooled V non watercooled Turbo? Air/Water cooled turbo, Nizzbits contributes on changes.

Changing out a Water Cooled ZD30 Turbo? A Simple Guide And Some Tips

Protecting against Poor Fuel Quality in remote areas. Interesting thread relating to recent topical bad fuel and ways to beat it, I have a Mr Funnel and it is great, if you buy the big one and add an extra section of hose or chop up an old concertina funnel you can fill straight from the pump.

The CORRECT way to Calibrate your speedo

K&N Air Filters

Gearbox oil synthetic GL4 or GL5 answered.

Video on tailshaft angles and vibration.

Serpentine Belt Removal zd30

Oil dipstick problem, crimped end fell off.

ZD30 Additional Fuel Filter Options Detailed info on optional extra fuel filtration.

ZD Rebuild can we make it better, stronger, faster

ZD30 Engine lifting points and attachment

How to repair a leaking (or oil spitting) Air Locker step by step

Mystery Screw in my Engine Sump? Interesting read, more common on the CRD than the DI though

ZD30DI Manual >-< Auto Conversion

H260 Rear Limited Slip Diff, MK vs GU problems

#14 · (Edited)
Post 14. GEN INF THREADS - ELECTRICAL / ELECTRICAL COMPONENTS

Post 14. Gen Inf Threads - Electrical & Electrical Components

How to Code Keys to a New ECU

Removing and cleaning the TPS

ReMapping the DI ECU A long thread with twists and turns that was started before it could be done, At post #104 we start to see some action. Mine has been done for a long time now and it is great.

Fault Codes, ECU

Glow Plug Timer Mod ZD30DI. Later model Kemo 113A wiring

Strange Dash Warning Light Behaviour Dash Light problems.

GU boost gauge power Wiring into dimmer

Fuse problem HELP!!! Engine control fuse, what it actually controls and the final result.

Zd30 ecu pinouts list of pinout numbers and locations.

ZD30 starts difficult One of our European members had a cold start issue, some good information on glow plug relay fuse near the end.

Possible MAF mod A different approach to a limp problem, well worth the read.

How do I Install a Crank Angle Sensor

Glow plugs - why the missing tips ????? Strategies for enhancing glow plug and possibly engine life.

Earth Strap - Hallelujah Praise the Forum...1 This is well covered in the bible, which should be compulsory reading for any zd30 owner.

ECUTalk - Consult LCD Display

ECU Talk Conversion Mod to In Dash

Labelling Wiring Harness Ideas

Relay and Fuse Block location Ideas

Airbag Light Reset Procedure Door switch referred to in the fix is the switch in the door jam that operates the interior light.

ZD30 Alternators, same between all models?

Eng shutting down and high idle

How to test all MAF's at home

problem with my Drivers windows when cold

Alternator Wire Broken at Plug Info on fixing broken plug wire.

A/C switch light removal

Auxiliary battery - lowest acceptable volts b4 recharge?

Autron Cruise Control Installation Instructions

Problems with indicators

Wiper Motor, How to Remove Wires From Plug

Aircon Fan Switch Issue

Solving Key Reader Issue

Electrical Wiring 102 Reverse Worklights

#15 · (Edited)
#16 · (Edited)
Post 16. GEN INF THREADS - ENTERTAINMENT / NAVIGATION

Post 16. Gen Inf Threads - Entertainment / Navigation

Off-Road Navigation A good read on most aspects.

#17 · (Edited)
#18 · (Edited)
ANNOUNCEMENT ON MANUALS AND DOCS IN POST #9

GE.TT, to which I have numerous electronic manuals for patrols and components like VP44 etc, seems to be down, also I cannot contact them for some reason so am going to wait a few days to see what happens, if I need to find a new storage site it will take me time to get all those manuals back on line and entered back on the forum.

#19 · (Edited)
ANNOUNCEMENT ON MANUALS AND DOCS IN POST #9 Part II
Site still down so I will assume it has gone bye bye' for good. After trying many sites and having issues I have gone for Google Drive, gives me 15gig of storage over the 5 I had before, another issue with that site was large manuals like the ZD30 to supp VX would disappear after around 500 downloads, never got a satisfactory answer on that, I'm hoping large manuals will stay up forever now. Based on this assumption I have loaded the larger supp XXIII manual (it is available through my signature link as the last one was), it covers '
all' models of the GU series. You may need to experiment a bit when opening sections to feel your way through, loading these manuals from this end can be tricky as I've found a few times over the years.
I've had a Y62 manual on my laptop for a couple of years, it is massive at 680mb or so, getting that to load and be readable has and still is a nightmare, I'm not sure anyone here would use it anyway as Fakebook seems to be the preferred method of communicating for Y62 owners, if someone would like it to be loaded PM me and I'll persevere, otherwise it is not worth the effort.
Am working my way through the various sections to update manuals and docs that have failed. I currently have 15 on Google Drive to share.
Ross

EDIT: Should anyone wish to have the Y62 Manual, PM me and I will forward a link, it is not easy to negotiate hence I haven't posted a direct link here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.