Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

rb30 gq patrol power upgrade

14K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  GQ TANK 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

Just bought myself an rb30 gq patrol and was wondering what would be the most cost effective and practical setup to make more power?

I am certain a turbo is the best way to achieve more power but what I'm struggling with is fuel delivery. I have narrowed my options down to either straight lpg or an efi conversion from a vl. Both have good and bad points

LPG PRO's
- retain factory inlet manifold
- No ECU
- Government rebate at the moment? not sure how much or what it applies to
- Cheap fuel
- Detonation resistant fuel suitable in na turbo conversion
LPG CON's
- Expensive initial costs
- LPG not available in remote area's
- limited fuel range
- Can not DIY
- LPG tank to worry about when 4wding over rocks etc.

EFI CONVERSION PRO's
- All parts easily available and cheap from wrecked vl's
- potential for more power
- easier conversion for a DIY backyard mechanic
- large fuel range and readily available
EFI CONS's
- High compression NA motor not suited to turbo with high boost
- expensive tunable ecu maybe required
- lots of electrics to first wire and then water proof
- lots of sensors needed airflow meter, knock sensors, o2 sensor, crank angle sensor

Any advice would be much appreciated, especially from people who have done either of these conversions. I am looking to learn so please feel welcome to correct me on any of my points.

See less See more
G
#2 ·
just convert it to a twin cam EFI using an RB25DET top end and then use and aftermarket ECU run it straight off LPG through the injectors, should be good for about 450HP, might wanna rebuild your tranny though

#3 ·
Hey bamr33,

I also think you would be better off going down the EFI turbo route with a N/A RB25 head conversion. HEAPS more potential.

Also you're right in saying the N/A motor with standard compression isn't well suited to running high boost, the paradox though is less boost has to be used to achieve the same power as would be needed in a lower compression engine with higher boost.

Running less boost on high compression means full boost and subsequently your power/torque quicker and lower in the rev range as a result of less turbo lag...a practice I've seen be very successful in SR20 and RB25 powered cars.

That aside, if you go with the 25 head, it lowers the compression in the 30 anyway. Its what I'm on doing to my Shorty...

#4 ·
powerups

Im all for turboing the slow RB30 GQ. I did a big HP one back in 97 with all the goodies, Nizpro plenum, big cam, Motec bla bla bla. Everyone thought I was crazy but it was what the customer (a mate actually) wanted.
It was fast but kind of got away from what the car was inteded for. Good power with revs but when getting off road in low range, kind of useless, but tough enuf to smoke a clubsport.
The gearboxes are well out of their league with any more than 180rwkw and never really found a suitable clutch for the heavy GQ, well one that was nice to use.
All im getting at is, sure turbo up the RB with a low boost setup, they respond well give awsome fuel economy and best of all save your dosh for cool stuff like beadlocks and other nicknacks.
Like I said in one of the ongoing posts if you shop smart and can do basic fab/mech yourself you should be able to turbo it up for 1k then LPG later if you want.

I will get GQ/RB30ET wiring harness "how to" up on this forum as soon as I figure out how

cheers Brunsy

#7 ·
hey mate i have done the efi conversion but ripped the whole carby engin oun in place of new fuel injected RB30 engine (second hand of course). I suppose it depends on how much power your looking for but i did the conversion myself paid someone to wire it also to fit 2.5 inch system and extractors, everything totalling $1800 (good value i think on a 20yr old car). My power difference is nothing short of dramatic and it does not stall on hills anymore. My personal opinion is to do the efi conversion so you keep the thing more reliable and don't have to rebuild the box. But as i said all depends on how much power your after. my 2 cents.. good luck

#8 ·
the engine in the GQ is identical to the injected one so a engine transplant is not necessary unless of course yours needed a change out anyway. That what makes this conversion so much simpler, its just manifolds and wiring. Its just inlet manifold and sump, well thats all I have ever done to convert them. I am always inclined to get an RB30 from a skyline over a VL because they tend to not suffer from the heating problems and stuff. Then again i have picked up many a bargain VL engine for peanuts.

#9 ·
i have picked up many a bargain VL engine for peanuts.
Ditto. Got two series two VL RB30's in good knick (non turbo ones) for the cost of a case of p!ss. Even got a standard VL turbo manifold thrown in as well. Dunno if it will work with RB30 in the GQ though (Brunsy???), either way, it might come in handy at some point down the track...

#11 ·
:p Gday I have just completed an EFI conversion using VL head loom and ECU
it has made a heap of difference to the output.
the main issue is the loom,borrow a VL manual from library to see the wiring diagram.
the other issue is fuel, due to the 3ltr having a carby designed fuel tank there is no resevoir for the inline fuel pump to draw from, u can pick a swirl pot online for about $90.
good luck !
Michael

#13 ·
mine has dual fuel, best of both worlds, running nistune with an impco (brc) injection system, from a ve commodore. the lpg system auto tunes and does a great job. we dyno'd it and the afr's were spot on.
best of all it auto switches to petrol if you run out of go in the gas injectors. mine is an rb30det, 195rwkw @5200 and 480 nm @2700rpm.

if you do go turbo, be very careful to size it correctly otherwise you will end up with a car that is useless offroad, not saying mine is perfect but it make torque nice and low

#14 ·
The quickest - cheapest option to get a little bit more is to do the carby heater mod -below the carby inside the manifold there a ceramic heater. It restricts air flow - remove it also reshape the directional cup.

The pro's for LPG is

No stalling on steep hills - the rb30s motors are notrious for this.

Cheaper to run - but you will need to run a lot of K's before you recoup your $$$

Also consider

Straight gas running a gas research carby - will give you a lot more stick.

Consider you technical / mechanical ability and the costs to convert to another mot, or go EFI

I put a RB30S in my old MK - it made a big difference - but now have a tb42 Gq and it goes a lot harder - standard

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.