Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

Fuel gauge

12K views 28 replies 16 participants last post by  briany 
#1 ·
Just checking as to how everyone else fuel gauge reads. Have only had the car a couple weeks. Filled the car up with the gauge reading bang in half and it took 55 Litres. The tanks 140 right? I'm guessing the last half on the gauge has a bit more in it. Everyone else's do the same?

#2 ·
I think most are the same kofoed. Mine reads dead empty and I only put about 105litres in it.

Have complained every time I've been at Nissan but falls on deaf ears.

Just had its 20k service and complained about it and the service manager tries to tell me it only has a 100L tank. I said that's funny I regularly put over a 100L in it. He then prints out a bit of paper that said it has a 100L tank or *140L with two tank's??.
So I haven't looked yet but I was certain my y62 only has one tank, will have to have another look. I think some of the infiniti's had 100L tanks, someone might know??

But it's got me thinking, what if we have the same sender/calibration as the 100L tank, my gauge is spot on for a 100L tank.

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

#29 ·
I think most are the same kofoed. Mine reads dead empty and I only put about 105litres in it.

Have complained every time I've been at Nissan but falls on deaf ears.

Just had its 20k service and complained about it and the service manager tries to tell me it only has a 100L tank. I said that's funny I regularly put over a 100L in it. He then prints out a bit of paper that said it has a 100L tank or *140L with two tank's??.
So I haven't looked yet but I was certain my y62 only has one tank, will have to have another look. I think some of the infiniti's had 100L tanks, someone might know??

But it's got me thinking, what if we have the same sender/calibration as the 100L tank, my gauge is spot on for a 100L tank.

Most ive got in 2021 y62 is 106 litres after fuel guage went from low to blank guage . I was testing guage and should hold 140 litres. This incorrect reading has caused me to backtrack for fuel.

#3 ·
I see the same behaviour and i think there are a few things at play here. One the fuel system is 140L its not necesarily 140L useable. There will be some excess to keep the intank fuel pump cool maybe 10L and there will be the reserve. I think what we see is usage of the main tank or volume when we hit red but not measurement of the next 20 or so litres?

#6 ·
There are 2 tanks, hosed together so there is only one filler.

Mine has 15l left when the gauge points at the bottom of the 0, ie it has gone completely off scale and is nearly at the position it's in when the car is off!. When the fuel light comes on I have 38l left or 250km. You learn to ignore the low fuel light.

#8 ·
Well I've learnt something, thanks for that.

Yea I ignore it as well but my wife drives it most of the time. And it still irks me that it can be that far out, I mean with the advances electronics in cars how hard can it be to have the fuel gauge, fuel usage and speed right. Pffffff. I hope the guy that calibrated these systems didn't calibrate the radar cruise control [emoji15]

Rant over.

#10 ·
Mine will be on the bottom of the red and only take 110litres or so.

Been on holidays and have just done about 680km that includes a good mix of low range high country driving, general driving about with long periods of idling while letting kids sleep in back and highway running while fully loaded. Light came on 30km from home. Will be interesting to see what it takes to fill it.

I am thinking of capitulating and buying a scanguage simply to log fuel used between fills so I have an ACCURATE measure of how much is remaining. It is annoying having to drive around with the needle deep in the red to utilise the tanks capacity.

#11 ·
I tested mine in the early days of ownership and it has been discussed on the forum before. I ignore the gauge and fuel light, when the "distance to empty" blanks with 50km to go; I have driven that 50km then refuelled - there was still 20L in the tank.
I like that. Having owned a Range Rover that did the opposite....Don't get me started!

#14 ·
And as usual it had plenty left. Exactly 109.65 litres even though the needle was towards the bottom of the red.
I even rocked the car from to side while trying to fill it as much as possible. Was able to get an extra 3 litres in from the first click.

So that was 109.65 litres for 646km which rounds up to 17L/100km neat.

I am pretty happy with that considering I did Blue Rag, Hotham, Goldie spur, Mount beauty and then transit to Wagga all while being the mobile aircon for the kids :)

Average speed fit the tank was 40kph, computer was reading an average of 19.6L/100.

Average was reading 33L/100km by the time I had climbed Blue Rag:) I think lots of idling and low range work really throws the computer out. If highway driving only is done it is usually almost bang on.

#20 ·
I have had the low fuel come on and the screen tells me I have 120km to go, so I keep driving around town and head back home, then back into town the next day and it will tell me I have 70km to go, yep no worries, go to Bunnings, come back out and start the patrol and it says I have zero km's to go, great :roll: go to another shop and come back out and the screen now tells me I have about 80km's to go :headwall::headwall:, talk to local dealer about this and they checked it out and said they will send off an email to Nissan Aust to see what they will do...that was about 4 weeks ago now and still no word. Oh and after I talked to the dealer about the fuel sender issues I went and filled it up, about 110L went in and that was as full as I could get it, even with rocking the vehicle side to side to get all the air pockets out.

#21 ·
when i fitted the new sender in my Kingswood recently i need to bend it to make it read correctly. i wonder if the senders on the Patrol could be adjusted

#23 ·
Probably not with the tanks in situ. Would be easier to do it electronically by adjusting the corrections in the computer.

The fuel gauges on my boat have this user programmable mode so that you can compensate for oddly shaped tanks. You just start with the tanks empty, tell the computer the full capacity then add 1/4 of a tank, tell it how may litres you added then repeat till its full. The computer does the maths to convert what the sender is telling it to litres. Surely the Nissan can do that too?

#28 ·
The tank gauge is calibrated for the standard 100l tank. The extra 40l tank that sits on top isn’t factored into the gauge reading. You just get used to it. Better than reading high. Most I ever put in was 132l and it was coughing and farting on all but the most gentle push of the throttle. Interesting coming out of the tunnel on the Eastern Freeway!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.