Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recall on Nissan for airbag problems

24K views 100 replies 56 participants last post by  geeyoutoo 
#1 ·
#76 ·
changed the airbag today: start at 9:30, got a call from Nissan at 10:20: job done! the car is ready for pickup! less than an hour work.

Sent from my Tapatalk Win10 edition

#78 ·
I had mine done this morning and it went very well.

When i organised it they suggested a minimum of 2 weeks for the parts to arrive, was called the next day saying parts are here when do you want to book it in?
I dropped it off this morning at 7:30am and drove out at 9:10am having entertained myself in the dealership looking at new Y62's and 370Z's. Would have been faster if the service tech's actually started at 7:30 as well.

Now to convince the wife that a Y62 is required...

#81 ·
Had ours replaced this morning. In at 10:05am, out at 11:30am

I had initially removed the glove box and surround, simply to make it one less thing for the guys at the dealership to remove and refit. However, I decided to refit it all before taking it to them just I case they wanted to say we can't safely 'sign off' on the recall with that section not fitted - my paranoid thoughts!

Anyway, my cursory look on pickup in the dealership driveway didn't notice anything. Once I got home a more detailed look at the glove box and surrounds showed that one screw was missing altogether and another screw had been replaced with a slightly smaller sized one and of a different colour. Useless mechanics have lost 2 screws and replaced only one.

It's a petty complaint I know, but that will teach me none the less!! :ranting:

#82 ·
Had it done today and had a primetime view on how it is done as the tech didn't even bother to put the truck inside workshop. The service advisor told me it is gonna take 1.5 hour...

The actual job took around 35 mins, he had the entire assembly out in less than 12 mins, then on the bench to remove flawed inflator tube to fit replacement and back in.

After the fitment the poor guy got confused when he powered the system and checked, he probably noticed that glow light is staying on instead going out after a few seconds (because I wired it that way so I can see when the glow system is on)
so he left the job for a foreman to figure out I guess to check what is going on.

Whatever they were doing afterwards took longer then actual recall job, truck sat there unattended for 40+ mins then obviously didn't make sense to them they opted out of it, just to tell me at handover.....all while I was looking at them.

I haven't noticed any stuff up yet after had a glance, all screws were there so the fingers crossed this is the last time I ever have to go there.

Regards

#90 ·
A word of warning maybe....

I thought I had mine fixed, Feb 2016. After asking a number of times the dealer advised they had the parts and had booked an appointment. I dropped it off on the day, got told it was done, went back and picked it up. The dash had obviously been out as they hadn't done a great job putting it back together. No paperwork was provided it was basically all good drive away thanks for coming.

Fast forward to this week and I got an SMS for an urgent safety recall. I was going to ignore it but thought I'd call anyway. I was told my airbag needed replacing to which I responded it had already been done. The dealer claimed they had no record of this happening. I asked what happened when they had it for a day then? They then claimed they could see that they had received it in Feb 2016 but couldn't complete the job as they didn't have parts and I was told to re-book. I can tell you that wasn't what happened.

Now I can't prove one way or the other, I think it's actually been done but can't afford to take the risk that it hasn't.

This means another day of inconvenience. I asked for them to pick up and return the vehicle given the circumstances, they declined. I then asked can you do it when I arrive while I wait? You know the response. Next they said there is also a wiring harness replacement that needs doing that wasn't part of earlier recalls therefore it's a job that takes longer and if I'm waiting it could take at least 2 hours. I think this is just an excuse and bull@#$%.

So in the end I haven't got a choice I'll need to drop it off again, probably to do what they've already done because they didn't keep any records.

So if you go to Northern Motors in Bundoora do as I'm going to do. Ask to see the parts that are going in and the parts that have been replaced and insist on having a record of their work.

#91 ·
Received a notice in the mail yesterday. . .

better book it in for a look

#92 ·
Mine all done now, clean and tidy, no marks scratches or missing screws
;)

#94 ·
Man, that would be a shock to the system coming at you from the side like that just randomly, were they from Takata as well? To my knowledge no airbags have 'randomly' fired here in Oz but the resulting shrapnel from a bag that has gone off in a shunt could cause serious injury or death. There has only been one suspected case of a death caused by the faulty airbags in AU, I know this is much higher in the US due to population percentage.

Here's an article on our situation from a little earlier this year, I put a quote from it under the link.

Takata airbag recall: only a fraction of affected Australia cars have been fixed

"The faulty airbags do not deploy randomly, but there is a chance they can spray shrapnel if activated in a crash."

#101 ·
Please use new sticky in General Patrol Discussion as latest recall may effect more vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.