Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

Mechanical Diesel Engine Tuning - No Chips!

2M views 67 replies 35 participants last post by  drgtr 
#1 · (Edited)
#9 ·
Depending on the brand of compensator as to what eccentric cam they may have , Adjusting
this can cause problems some times as its all dependant on position of tension / gov lever ,
length of through pin ( pin that contacts boost pin /cam and boost toggle internal of pump) causing some of the effective range of the compensator not to work and one pump may vary to the next , also the max fuel/ full boost shim needs to be adjusted keeping in mind that boost pin/cam cant bottom out on through pin as this can reduce fueling aswell also depending on brand (Bosch Zexel Denso ) and even depending on different pump numbers , there are a whole lot of different boost cam/pin profiles .

The electronic Hartridge test bench makes quick work of this!

Regards
Swaffie

#14 ·
Im trying to keep it to the bare essentials to give people an understanding of how it all works.
There is many factors that effect other things when tuning the compensator as you have said Matt and Swaff.

If you guys want to try and do a write up on these things, that explains indepth how things effect each other please do, and I can quote your write up in my original post and maybe put it under an advanced section or something of the likes?

#15 ·
Thanks fellers for helping me understand diesel tuning a bit better, I've only just got a td42t GU and I'm trying to get to grips on the way the engine runs, it does have boost/pyro gauges fitted and things are starting to make sense. Anyway thanks again for your explanations and I hope to see lots more.

#19 ·
Hi DieselTuner I have a list of mods done to my TD42 one being a 12mm pump. I have been experimenting with some modified fuel delivery pins.

I am currently running the fuel pin on the far right in the pic. In the boost compensator their is a 10mm shim. I am wanting to try without shim to see if their is a difference. What do you think ? Also will this be okay to run no shim.

#27 ·
Hey mate, what settings typically 'max' out a standard pump. So far i have the compensator on max, off boost screw on top of diaphragm is all the way, spring base down a little and fuel screw about a 3rd of turn around. This is giving me a tiny bit of soot off boost, and anymore on the screw just makes off boost too dirty.
Anything i am missing to clean it up down low so that i can get more fuel into it in the top end?

#28 · (Edited)
Hope I'm in the right place to ask this. Being a "Newbie' I'm still learning my way around.
I recently fitted a Cross Country top mount ultimate intercooler and want to know should I get it re-tuned to make the most of it. I have factory turbo with 3" exhaust and currently running 12.5psi of boost. Don't think the pump has ever been played with.

Also, can anyone recommend someone in SE Qld. They can call if they don't want to put it in a post. my No is 0427039859
Thanks

#31 ·
Troy thanks for the info.
Yes there was an improvement, but not as much as I expected. Thats why I want to get it tuned. Word of caution on the fitting of the bonnet scoop. If you got the single large scoop, make sure you line it up very carefully in regards to where the mounting bolts end up. It actually goes further back on the bonnet than you would first think. Measure 5 times cut once!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.