Dash light comes on when I I put foot on brake(sometime) - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > General Technical Discussions > Auto Electrical

Patrol4x4.com is the premier Nissan Patrol Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18-03-2017, 07:48 PM
Part Of The Furniture Round Here

Default Dash light comes on when I I put foot on brake(sometime)

Hey Guys,

The above happens occasionally and I'm wondering what on earth's going on with the electric's of my troll(RB30 stock setup)!!!

I would stop the car by pressing on brakes. The engine's still running. My foot is still on brake.
I pull the hand brake lever. Then I turn off the head lights, parking lights, dash lights etc by turning the switch anti-clockwise. Everything turn off, except the dash lights. I take the foot off the brake pedal, dash lights go off.
I press the brake pedal again, dash light don't seem to be coming back on. It doesn't seem to be making any difference whether the engine's still running or not.
Somehow, the brake pedal seem to have effect on dash lights, effectively over riding the parking lights turn switch(which obviously turn on the dash lights as well).
What on earth is going on?
Any ideas, explanations, thoughts?!
It doesn't seem to be happening all the time though. I tried it reproducing it again, and it didn't happen.
But, it's still doing it regularly.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-03-2017, 11:03 PM

More then likely a problem with your trailer plug wiring. Possibly the problem could be the wires in the back of the plug are accidentally touching one another so you might have to pull the plug apart to check. Or you could try turning the park lights on and wiggle the wiring to the trailer plug while watching you stop lights and see if they come on.

Another possibility is you have the wrong bulb type fitted in one of your tail lights. Although if it was this you would expect it to be playing up all the time.
The Following User Says Thank You to Yendor For This Useful Post:
dom14 (19-03-2017)
Old 19-03-2017, 09:18 AM
..Hollywood..

Thanked 5,624 Times in 3,107 Posts
Garage

I agree, trailer plug or tail lights was my first thought too. It's the only place the brake and park lights wiring are in such close proximity.

built not bought
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to Leethal For This Useful Post:
dom14 (19-03-2017)

Old 19-03-2017, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
More then likely a problem with your trailer plug wiring. Possibly the problem could be the wires in the back of the plug are accidentally touching one another so you might have to pull the plug apart to check. Or you could try turning the park lights on and wiggle the wiring to the trailer plug while watching you stop lights and see if they come on.

Another possibility is you have the wrong bulb type fitted in one of your tail lights. Although if it was this you would expect it to be playing up all the time.
Both front parking lights are cooked. I'm guessing whether that's the reason for the strange behaviour of the dash lights.
Old 19-03-2017, 09:05 PM
..Hollywood..

Garage

I think you could safely say no that's not the problem...

built not bought
dom14 (19-03-2017)
Old 19-03-2017, 09:37 PM
Educated Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom14 View Post
Both front parking lights are cooked. I'm guessing whether that's the reason for the strange behaviour of the dash lights.
When you say cooked, do you just mean blown, or is it more serious?
A short could've traveled back, but would've caused consistent behavour I would have thought.
It has to be as said where brake and dash light circuit are close. Trailer plug has been mentioned, but how does that explain the fact tail lights turn off but not dash?

Franky.
The Following User Says Thank You to Franky73 For This Useful Post:
dom14 (19-03-2017)
Old 19-03-2017, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franky73 View Post
When you say cooked, do you just mean blown, or is it more serious?

Franky.
I meant it's blown.
My apologies for overusing the colourful damn english language.

Both front parking lights were blown, and I'm imagining(guessing) that might be the reason for quirky behaviour of the dash lights(stays on with brake depressed, but only occasionally)
Old 19-03-2017, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leethal View Post
I think you could safely say no that's not the problem...
I forgot to mention, I wasn't able to find any immediately visible problems with trailer plug.
It is fairly "new". I don't use it much, and I installed a new plug(socket?) just around two years ago, and I was careful to do a "proper" job with it. Dunno whether the wires that goes out of the trailer plug has issues between the plug and the connectors in between/battery etc.

Just being a little bit superstitious, I reckon dash light quirks may stop after replacing the globes tomorrow.
Old 19-03-2017, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Trailer plug has been mentioned, but how does that explain the fact tail lights turn off but not dash?

Franky.
To be honest, I wasn't energetic enough to get off my slack fat arse to check the exterior parking lights when the quirky behaviour occurred. No excuse, I know.

All I did was walking straight on to the computer on my skinny arse legs to post the OP with the hope the electrickery blokes here will be able to pin point the culprit with the help of their crystal ball.
Old 19-03-2017, 09:51 PM
Educated Fool

Quote:
I meant it's blown.
My apologies for overusing the colourful damn english language.

Both front parking lights were blown, and I'm imagining(guessing) that might be the reason for quirky behaviour of the dash lights(stays on with brake depressed, but only occasionally)
I'd have to agree with Lee on this. That can't be the problem. If the globes are just blown and that was the issue, it would happen all the time. An open circuit is an open circuit.
Something is loose.

Franky.
dom14 (19-03-2017)
Old 19-03-2017, 10:00 PM

Quote:
I'd have to agree with Lee on this. That can't be the problem. If the globes are just blown and that was the issue, it would happen all the time. An open circuit is an open circuit.
Something is loose.

Franky.
I agree. And the same time, I like to believe it has nothing to do with my "fiddling" with electrics lately.
Brake and parking lights are indirectly connected, aren't they?!!
I'll see how it goes with new globes on front parking lights, which needs replacing one way or the other.
Old 19-03-2017, 10:12 PM
..Hollywood..

Garage

'Indirectly connected' you say...

Well... They are seperate filaments in the same globe and share a common earth. Apart from that they are about as connected as the wipers and the heater fan.

It's a shame it is an intermittent problem, if it happened all the time it would be much easier to find.

If it would happen more often I'd suggest disconnecting the plug under the passenger front seat, which disconnects all the lighting from the rear half of the car. That way you could narrow the problem down to one half of the vehicle straight away.

Given they are so cheap I'd even suggest changing the brake/park globes at the rear in case there is a fault there, and check for corrosion in the globe holder. I wouldn't be surprised if that solved the problem. Stranger things have happened.

built not bought
dom14 (19-03-2017)
Old 19-03-2017, 10:19 PM
..Hollywood..

Garage

To go a step further, have a good look at the filaments in the brake/park globes and I wouldn't be surprised if there was a broken filament on the brake side.

Have you ever had a dickie headlight, you whack it with your hand like Fonzie and it comes on and stays on until you turn lights off, but you have to do same thing next time until it conks out and stays konked out? Well when that happens, the filament has broken off at one end. You whack it, the filament vibrates around, and hits the spot where it broke from, and temporarily 'welds' itself on there while it has the heat from the current flow to hold it. When you turn the lights off it disconnects again.

So check both brake lights are working, if not, check the side not working and see if filament has broken from one side. Replace that and I'd be surprised if that didn't sort it.

built not bought
dom14 (19-03-2017)
Old 19-03-2017, 10:19 PM

Quote:
I can't see the front park lights causing your problem. The short is somewhere both park lights and brake light circuits are. If your confident the wires in the trailer plug are fine you will need to start checking the the wiring from the rear tail lights up to the front of the vehicle.

Hows your headlight switch? It not just a faulty switch is it? that just happened to stop playing up when you let your foot of the brake petal.
dom14 (19-03-2017)
Old 19-03-2017, 10:24 PM

Quote:
'Indirectly connected' you say...

Well... They are seperate filaments in the same globe and share a common earth. Apart from that they are about as connected as the wipers and the heater fan.

It's a shame it is an intermittent problem, if it happened all the time it would be much easier to find.

If it would happen more often I'd suggest disconnecting the plug under the passenger front seat, which disconnects all the lighting from the rear half of the car. That way you could narrow the problem down to one half of the vehicle straight away.

Given they are so cheap I'd even suggest changing the brake/park globes at the rear in case there is a fault there, and check for corrosion in the globe holder. I wouldn't be surprised if that solved the problem. Stranger things have happened.
Ok, cool mate.
I'll check the tail light globes and connections.
But, I still have more faith in your first suggestion about the trailer plug.
Just 'cos I didn't see anything, probably doesn't mean there ain't a problem with that.
Initial wiring for the trailer plug wasn't mine. It was done by the previous bloke.
Considering the sub-standard backyard work on the electrics related to LPG, it won't surprise me to find an issue in trailer plug wiring.
Old 19-03-2017, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
I can't see the front park lights causing your problem. The short is somewhere both park lights and brake light circuits are. If your confident the wires in the trailer plug are fine you will need to start checking the the wiring from the rear tail lights up to the front of the vehicle.

Hows your headlight switch? It not just a faulty switch is it? that just happened to stop playing up when you let your foot of the brake petal.
Headlight switch is ok afaict(no dramas so far).
Auto electrician many moons ago told me the GQ factory headlight switch is crap.
But, it's' been going fine since he installed new relays for the drive lights and properly wired it.
I put a new 100W headlight globe(on left side) that I "imported" from China via ebay.
But, I can tell you they are no 100W lights in terms of brightness. Old 60W headlight globe(on right side) has equal or more brightness than the damn new 100W globe from chinese fleabay.
Old 19-03-2017, 10:49 PM

Quote:
To go a step further, have a good look at the filaments in the brake/park globes and I wouldn't be surprised if there was a broken filament on the brake side.

Have you ever had a dickie headlight, you whack it with your hand like Fonzie and it comes on and stays on until you turn lights off, but you have to do same thing next time until it conks out and stays konked out? Well when that happens, the filament has broken off at one end. You whack it, the filament vibrates around, and hits the spot where it broke from, and temporarily 'welds' itself on there while it has the heat from the current flow to hold it. When you turn the lights off it disconnects again.

So check both brake lights are working, if not, check the side not working and see if filament has broken from one side. Replace that and I'd be surprised if that didn't sort it.
Absolutely! I've experienced that with the interior lights just above the head with my previous car(Jackaroo), where I used to bang on the roof interior to get the interior light to come on.
First thing tomorrow, I'll check the brake lights.
Old 19-03-2017, 11:08 PM
Educated Fool

Quote:

Still can't see how a broken swinging filament could cause this. Especially if it can't be replicated straight afterwards. If the front parkers are like that though, it might be time for a bulb replacement all round just because.

Franky.
dom14 (21-03-2017)
Old 19-03-2017, 11:13 PM
..Hollywood..

Garage

The very fact that it can't be replicated straight afterwards is what led me to this conclusion, grasshopper.

I know it sounds like a wild theory but that's the dark horse I'm backing

We shall see tomorrow

built not bought
dom14 (20-03-2017)
Old 19-03-2017, 11:20 PM

Leethal calling it ..... hurry up Dom and find the problem, we all want to know what it is.
dom14 (20-03-2017)