Dual battery question - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > General Technical Discussions > Auto Electrical

Patrol4x4.com is the premier Nissan Patrol Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-04-2017, 12:42 PM

Default Dual battery question

Hey guys ,

Got a 2003 gu patrol , currently has a dual battery setup in it, long story short I have never taken it out on a camping trip , but my brother in law has just taken it out and one and something drained the battery (also the alternator gave in ) it got me wondering is it possible / a good idea to move all wiring over to the secondary battery and keep the first battery for starting (just the essentials ) is it a feasible option ?

2nd question when the battery died he bought another one - not a deep cycle just a normal battery - can i set that up and use it to run extra things e.g. fridge , inverter. So having a tripple battery setup ? - for charging i have an automatic switch so it isolates the secondary and first and charges the first battery , to use the thrid would i need to add another isolator between the 2nd and 3rd battery or can i just join the 2nd and 3rd battery or will that interfere with charging ? (3rd battery would end up in the back of the patrol as i dont think i can get a third battery in the engine bay)

Cheers for the help guys!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-04-2017, 09:56 PM
Part Of The Furniture Round Here

Third battery can be joined parallel to the auxiliary(second) battery. I don't see any need for a second isolater.

Starter battery is factory connected to all the factory items in the car(head lights, all the factory lights, radio, cig lighter, etc etc).
You can wire up some of them directly to the auxiliary batteries, but you're looking at doing it one by one by separating the connection of those accessories from the fuse board or so, and then wire them up to the auxiliary battery from there. It has benefits, when you use radio, cigarette lighter socket, interior lights, etc for lengthy periods during camping, in which can drain the starter battery.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 21-04-2017, 10:09 PM

Now that you have two simple lead acid batteries, just wire them in parallel. Get a third AGM deep cycle and fit in the rear for fridge. Charge it via a DC-Dc charger.

Standard lead acid will run a fridge, but do some reading and you will discover why this is not a good way to go. Having said that, two lead acids will give a decent fridge run time before reducing the charge state below 50%.

Old 22-04-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3lkies View Post
.. is it possible / a good idea to move all wiring over to the secondary battery and keep the first battery for starting (just the essentials ) is it a feasible option ?
I'd say you should leave everything controlled by the ignition key on the starting battery. There is very little wiring in a stock Patrol that is fed straight from the battery and on all the time. I'd say there is little to be gained by this unless you can see circumstances where you will run headlights for long periods with the engine off.

Quote:
2nd question when the battery died he bought another one - not a deep cycle just a normal battery - can i set that up and use it to run extra things e.g. fridge , inverter. So having a triple battery setup ?
Don't use anything but a deep cycle battery to feed a fridge, you will kill it in no time. Joining two batteries in parallel to make one big one works just fine as long as they are both the same general type of battery. The most difficult part of this in most cars is finding somewhere to put the third battery.

The first thing you need to sort out is what drained the battery.
Old 22-04-2017, 10:54 AM
--- The Rodfather ---

Thanked 5,136 Times in 3,631 Posts
Garage

X2 on what overboard says, everything that is normally connected through ign switch is still run from main battery and I have never had an issue. Everything I have added UHF radios etc, (except for items that work while engine is running) runs of the second deep cycle battery, they are designed to be run very low and still recover with a charge whereas normal cycle batteries are not designed to do this. I run my air comp off the main battery simply because the engine is running while I'm using it.

I run a fridge from my second battery very often for a couple of days before it gets a chance to get a full recharge so my second battery does cop a hammering and I can still get a number of years out of it.

And yes, you need to find out what drained that battery and killed it, did the alt die first?????

BTW, I've got a big trip coming up later this year which will see my second battery tested to the limit and it's getting on in years, so I'm on the hunt for the best deep cycle battery I can get that will fit in the designated area, I have absolutely no room for a third and with all the traveling I've done over the years have never actually needed a third.

My Album
My Build
My Channel
ZD30DI Tech Archives
NADS, So You Bought a ZD30DI
http://powercurve.com.au/
My Dawes valve works fine! Where did I go wrong? .

Domestic Violence Has No Excuse, Rugby League Players Are Not Above The Law.

Old 22-04-2017, 06:36 PM

I run two batteries under right side rear passanger seat. May help some of you. Could use big steel plate below for off road. Photos on link below

batteries under wagon
Old 22-04-2017, 07:50 PM
Educated Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by outer here View Post
I run two batteries under right side rear passanger seat. May help some of you. Could use big steel plate below for off road. Photos on link below

batteries under wagon
Photos aren't there mate.

Franky.
Old 22-04-2017, 08:22 PM
--- The Rodfather ---

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franky73 View Post
Photos aren't there mate.

Franky.
He linked the whole thread, pics are in this post http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/5943170-post25.html

My Album
My Build
My Channel
ZD30DI Tech Archives

The Following User Says Thank You to geeyoutoo For This Useful Post:
outer here (22-04-2017)
Old 22-04-2017, 11:10 PM
Educated Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeyoutoo View Post
He linked the whole thread, pics are in this post http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/5943170-post25.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by outer here View Post
Battery box images.

Use four 50mm2 copper welding cable, 2 earths and 2 positives with shut offs mounted behind chassis.
Any wear point used big rubber tube and zip tied all cables so no movement.
This is all I see with your link Ross. Same as the other. No images. Must be an issue at my end I suppose? Never happened before, but I'll keep trying.

Franky.
Old 23-04-2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Must be an issue at my end I suppose? Never happened before, but I'll keep trying.
I don't see any pics either Frankie. I'm wondering if it is due to his low post count that only mods can see the pics.
Old 24-04-2017, 01:02 AM
Educated Fool

Quote:
He linked the whole thread, pics are in this post batteries under wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overboard View Post
I don't see any pics either Frankie. I'm wondering if it is due to his low post count that only mods can see the pics.
Well that's not the reason.

Quote:
Maybe your post count is too low at the moment to post up pics. I don't know if this is the case, but I read somebody else suggesting this as the cause of a similar issue.

Franky.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squalo View Post
Nah, we don't have rules about stuff like that, it was just the wrong url for the pic - fixed.
Franky.
Old 27-04-2017, 06:32 PM

Hi Franky,

Can you see them now or do I need to try put them up again?
Old 27-04-2017, 09:06 PM

Doesn't work for me either. Before or now.
Old 27-04-2017, 10:13 PM
--- The Rodfather ---

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by festerGU View Post
Doesn't work for me either. Before or now.
Not sure what is going on, I can see them all 4, clear as crystal in my single post link and where you copied my link, beats me???????????????????? Are you guy's on that crap Tapa by any chance?????

My Album
My Build
My Channel
ZD30DI Tech Archives

Old 27-04-2017, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Not sure what is going on, I can see them all 4, clear as crystal in my single post link and where you copied my link, beats me???????????????????? Are you guy's on that crap Tapa by any chance?????
Yep I'm using your link gu2. Not even seeing the little boxes with "x" in them you sometimes get with pics, there is just nothing there to even suggest there is a pic embedded anywhere. I don't use tapatalk, agree it's rubbish. This is on a good old fashioned laptop though.
Old 27-04-2017, 10:37 PM
Educated Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by festerGU View Post
Yep I'm using your link gu2. Not even seeing the little boxes with "x" in them you sometimes get with pics, there is just nothing there to even suggest there is a pic embedded anywhere. I don't use tapatalk, agree it's rubbish. This is on a good old fashioned laptop though.
Same as me. On the shed laptop. Which looks old but she can keep up with the new ones. I put a a few more rams in the paddock a couple of years ago which made the difference.
This is what I still see though with that link.

Franky.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (31.2 KB, 66 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Franky73 For This Useful Post:
festerGU (27-04-2017)
Old 27-04-2017, 11:07 PM
--- The Rodfather ---

Garage

Hmmm! do a google custom search on Batteries Under Wagon then go to post #25 and let me know what you see.

My Album
My Build
My Channel
ZD30DI Tech Archives

Old 27-04-2017, 11:56 PM
Educated Fool

Quote:
Hmmm! do a google custom search on Batteries Under Wagon then go to post #25 and let me know what you see.
I'm about to give it a shot mate, but if youurrr taking the piss LOL.
Report back in a minute.

Franky.
Old 28-04-2017, 12:02 AM
Educated Fool

Quote:
Nup
See this this time.
I can see other posts this time though.
Anyway all good.

Franky.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled 2.jpg (34.2 KB, 60 views)
Old 28-04-2017, 12:32 AM
--- The Rodfather ---

Garage

Well I have no idea what is going on.... This is a screenshot of the top of post 25 when I click on my link:

Screenshot (2).jpg

My Album
My Build
My Channel
ZD30DI Tech Archives