Rad support removal- Any panel beaters or blokes with the know how?? - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > General Technical Discussions > Body & Paint

Patrol4x4.com is the premier Nissan Patrol Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19-05-2017, 07:01 PM

Default Rad support removal- Any panel beaters or blokes with the know how??

So I've got the engine and box out of my GU and it will make things a lot easier making the new engine mounts if I have the rad support off so we can pull motor and box in and out in one piece.
My rad support is also damaged and needs replacing anyway.
Any body here done this and have the right tools to drill spot welds or even just know exactly how to do it easiest.
Looking to grab a hand off someone in exchange for beer and laughs or just cash if you prefer.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-05-2017, 07:13 PM

Garage

9 inch?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 19-05-2017, 07:32 PM

Bahahaha was exactly what I said my panel beater painter was in impressed but he doesn't have time to come to me and take it off
The Following User Says Thank You to TD JUNK For This Useful Post:
Yeti's Beast (19-05-2017)

Old 19-05-2017, 08:20 PM
Part Of The Furniture Round Here

Thanked 1,304 Times in 1,000 Posts

TD I have been thinking the same thing, have my motor and auto box out at the moment. My radiator top support is in good nick but I'm cutting a few bits to fit a front mount cooler. That vertical bonnet support brace unbolts at the bottom but is bloody spot welded at the top what a stupid arrangement.

I was thinking how much easier it would be to put the motor and box all back in together if there was room to move. I have height issues in the old garage, so getting the motor up high enough to go over the radiator support is a problem anyway. It means I need to take the door off the garage and roll the car out but then it is very close to not being on level ground.

So have been looking at that top radiator support and wondering if I could drill it out and then bolt it back through each of the spot weld points so it remains removable.

GU4, But it is not going anywhere til we rebuild it better, stronger, maybe even a little faster.
Old 19-05-2017, 08:32 PM

Can buy spot weld drill bits or can makem them yourself. If you cant sharpen drill bits well you will have no hope of making though. New support os about 400

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Old 19-05-2017, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hz_350 View Post
Can buy spot weld drill bits or can makem them yourself. If you cant sharpen drill bits well you will have no hope of making though. New support os about 400

What do the bits look like shape wise, have a point in the middle or something.

I cant afford to bugger mine, I'm running low on budget now. Radiator support Part nunber: 62510VD200 $308 from Dubai I suppose that means a bit of freight as it is a long difficult shape to post.

https://partsouq.com/en/catalog/genu...TESY61A0376536

GU4, But it is not going anywhere til we rebuild it better, stronger, maybe even a little faster.
Old 19-05-2017, 08:44 PM

Yeah Geordie would make things a lot easier.
I've got the highs but lifting motor and box that high is fairly scetchy to say the least.
I'm going to try and find a spot weld drill bit set if I find one your welcome to use them
geordie4x4 (19-05-2017)
Old 19-05-2017, 08:54 PM

Here ya go Geordie, I think 8mm will be about right if anything to big but that's fine just touch more weld when putting it back on.

https://www.ebay.com.au/p/?iid=19191...3427404&chn=ps
geordie4x4 (19-05-2017)
Old 19-05-2017, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geordie4x4 View Post
What do the bits look like shape wise, have a point in the middle or something.

I cant afford to bugger mine, I'm running low on budget now. Radiator support Part nunber: 62510VD200 $308 from Dubai I suppose that means a bit of freight as it is a long difficult shape to post.

https://partsouq.com/en/catalog/genu...TESY61A0376536
Yea got a point im a sheetie so i make them in drill bits upto 32mm so you can drill sheet metal easy as
http://www.suttontools.com/products/...-drills-pd142/

The Following User Says Thank You to hz_350 For This Useful Post:
geordie4x4 (19-05-2017)
Old 19-05-2017, 08:59 PM
Master Coalroller

Garage

To remove my engine/box I cut out the centre piece and re-weld it in after refitting the engine like this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2205.jpg (65.9 KB, 95 views)
Old 19-05-2017, 09:18 PM

Yeah I considered doing that but given I'm trying to fix the car up I thought nah do it right.
I've also go some rust under the rad support on the rail ends I'd like to clean up rust convert and
Rustolium paint.
Old 19-05-2017, 09:55 PM

So when you put the radiator support panel back in does it have to be welded. Are there any modification rules that mean it can't just be bolted.

Surely there wouldn't be any strength issues if it is well bolted. I even wondered about cutting like Boundary Rider did then make up a brace joining bracket/plate each side and bolt to that.

Old 20-05-2017, 06:08 AM

If your only looking to do it for engine and gearbox removal I'd probably just do what Boundary did but it wouldn't be hard to make the top part of rad support bolt on instead of welding it back in. Just fab up a new section to replace the cut out with a 20mm over lap to bolt into place.
If my rad support wasn't so damaged and rusty under the support I'd be doing exactly that.
geordie4x4 (20-05-2017)
Old 20-05-2017, 06:57 AM

Geordie do you let the tires down or take the front wheel off bugger cutting it up just to put a motor in

Old 20-05-2017, 08:07 AM
Master Coalroller

Garage

Quote:
Geordie do you let the tires down or take the front wheel off bugger cutting it up just to put a motor in

If you can't split your engine/box (like I can't with mine) you have to cut
Old 20-05-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boundry Rider View Post
If you can't split your engine/box (like I can't with mine) you have to cut
What motor do you have

Old 20-05-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:

Yes I have airbag springs so to take the motor out I had let it down onto the bump stops at front but had the rear up. I still had to roll it forward out of the garage to get the crane high enough to go over the radiator support.

BUT with the crane out the door of the garage, the crane is on a slight downhill slope. That was OK taking it out as I simply turned the crane and lowered the motor onto a trailer.
For putting it back it would be nice to have motor and gearbox all as one and roll it in keeping it almost parallel to the ground. That is not possible lifting the thing over as I just don't have the height above or below for the gearbox.

So at the moment just toying with the ideas, will probably just go back the way I took it out.

Old 20-05-2017, 04:09 PM
Master Coalroller

Garage

Quote:
What motor do you have

6.5 chev with turbo feeder pipes that hug the bell housing preventing disassembly in vehicle
Old 21-05-2017, 08:51 PM

Hey Geordie I've ordered the cutters for the spot welds mate so if you want to borrow them let me know bud your more than welcome
geordie4x4 (22-05-2017)
Old 22-05-2017, 12:18 PM

Cheers, thanks for the offer, will let you know if i need it, if I had easy transport I might come give you a hand. But never sure when I can get a car at the moment.

I'm back out to the shed now the rain has stopped today. Having a better look at what I need to do. I took off a grill support bracket so I can get my intercooler back into place and have adjusted the bull bar mounts for a bit more clearance but still looks like I need to trim the upright radiator bonnet latch brace bit. That unbolts at the base but is bloody spot welded to the top radiator support. Bloody car engineers, don't make things simple do they.

Front diff and everything is coming out so that may allow me to drop it down low. But it sure would be easy if the top radiator support was bolted not welded. I wonder if there is an ADR that said it has to remain welded?