1998 GU 2.8td - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > General Patrol Forums > Buying a Nissan Patrol

Patrol4x4.com is the premier Nissan Patrol Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-10-2016, 07:48 PM

Default 1998 GU 2.8td

Hi I am thinking of buying a 2.8td patrol 1998 model looks in reasonable nick has 300 000 kms on it it is at a small car dealership so not sure of service history.
I currently have a pajero diesel 04

couple of questions is the lack of power really that bad on this model?
Does the fuel savings warrant taking the lack of power?
What is repair like on these vehicles eg are parts readily available to do self repairs and servicing wich I am finding hard with the mitsubishi.

I know these questions have probably been answered before but I am looking at it tomorrow and a quick heads up before I spend hours searching the forum.
thanks Ralph.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23-10-2016, 10:40 PM
--- The Rodfather ---

Thanked 5,267 Times in 3,726 Posts
Garage

I've only ever driven one 2.8 many years ago, yes they are slow but it depends on what you want from the vehicle, if your going to tow then forget it, if it is a touring vehicle you'll get by OK. A good exhaust and a bit of a tune helps. Re fuel, that depends on how you drive it.

Yes you can still get bits and they are reasonably easy to work on.

My Album
My Build
My Channel
ZD30DI Tech Archives
NADS, So You Bought a ZD30DI
http://powercurve.com.au/
My Dawes valve works fine! Where did I go wrong? .

Domestic Violence Has No Excuse, Rugby League Players Are Not Above The Law.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to geeyoutoo For This Useful Post:
Rad97 (26-10-2016)
Old 24-10-2016, 01:50 PM

Lack of power can only be answered by you, how much do you want Its at a dealership so take it for a test drive and flog it

I found when I had my 2.8 I was driving it harder to get what i wanted out of it so the fuel economy turned to sh|t, but it was bearable after a few little mods and some maintenance - exhaust, intake clean out etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to UncleBryan For This Useful Post:
Rad97 (26-10-2016)

Old 26-10-2016, 03:13 PM

I've answered similar questions in another thread (http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/nissa...estion-344378/) so you might that useful.

As for parts, I can usually find spares from 4WD wreckers like All Four x 4 in Newcastle, or from online like at Patrol Apart. Seems like 3.0L and 4.2L parts are more abundant but some 4.2L parts are a fit for the 2.8L. At the moment I'm trying to find a replacement airbox lid and it's been a PITA so I reckon I'll do this mod (http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/nissa...rd28eti-27153/) instead because second-hand ZD30 airbox lids are pretty abundant.

I'm generally untrusting of dealers so make sure you check out the thread on common issues before you inspect the vehicle. That way you'll know some things to look for.

Cheers.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris GU For This Useful Post:
geeyoutoo (26-10-2016), Rad97 (26-10-2016)