2007/08 auto vs manual - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > General Patrol Forums > Buying a Nissan Patrol

Patrol4x4.com is the premier Nissan Patrol Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2017, 07:18 PM

Default 2007/08 auto vs manual

Hi, I'm new to 4x4ing and I'm looking at buying a Patrol. I've come across one that ticks all the boxes, but its an auto. Now I love having an auto to drive around the city, but is there any preference when going offroad?

I'm mainly going to be using it on the highway with a bit of sand bashing. Nothing too extreme...yet.

What tests can be done during a test drive and what precautions need to be taken to prolong an autos life?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2017, 08:14 PM
Rogue

Thanked 1,786 Times in 1,294 Posts
Garage

Welcome to the forum!

Nothing wrong with an auto on sand, they can get a bit warm when worked hard, but do good. In my opinion, the only time an auto doesn't really cut the mustard offroad is in mountainous areas where you really want engine braking.

I used to have Patrols

Must be beer o'clock
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-01-2017, 08:20 PM

Garage

Auto is great in the high country. You can crawl over obstacles without burning out the clutch.
When offroad, drive like a manual (selecting gears) and the transmission will not overheat. If getting extra gauges like boost and EGT, get a transmission temp gauge as well.

My Rig My Life

Nissan 4x4 Club Vic

Old 03-01-2017, 09:22 PM

If you really want great off road performance from the auto, fit a nomad valve body and full synthetic fluid.

Immediate engine braking in 1st, snappy changes, brilliant. Still won't equal a manual in a 1st low steep descent, but craps all over it on uphills.

Allow $1200-1500. I still wish I had done mine immediately instead of dithering for 3 years......
Old 03-01-2017, 11:31 PM

Garage

I've owned both. Manual first now an auto. Id never go back to manual now. The auto is geared better for the highway, easier in the sand. For my choice the auto all around. And i speak from experience. Lots of sand trips to Fraser Island, I've done the cape, and a lot of inland touring including the Simpson as well as the high country in VIC. Patrol is also my daily drive to work through the city. Auto is a much better option for the patrol i my opinion.
Current - 2013 GU 3.0 CRD - Gold Patrol Club #70
2012 - Prado 150 D4
2007 - LC 100 Series V8 Petrol Supercharged
2004 - Patrol GUIV 3.0DI
Old 04-01-2017, 04:59 AM

My vote for the auto box as well.
Old 04-01-2017, 06:30 AM

Garage

The only negative to an auto is steep down hills in the high country. Good technique can solve this if it is just occasional use, but I put in 63% reduction gears on the low range. As long as I have selected first gear, she is fine. But as ACMPatrol stated, there are other ways of dealing with this, so it's about what works for you.

My Rig My Life

Nissan 4x4 Club Vic
Old 04-01-2017, 09:55 PM

Thanks for all the responses.
I did a little youtubing after writing this post and came across a torque converter lockup device, that seems to work well when descending steep inclines.

Not knowing the life of a 150km vehicle, I will definitely be booking it to get serviced and to talk to an expert about their recommendations.

I'm glad to hear autos aren't ridiculed in this tough world.
Old 05-01-2017, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillowpants View Post
Thanks for all the responses.
I did a little youtubing after writing this post and came across a torque converter lockup device, that seems to work well when descending steep inclines.

Not knowing the life of a 150km vehicle, I will definitely be booking it to get serviced and to talk to an expert about their recommendations.

I'm glad to hear autos aren't ridiculed in this tough world.
Torque converter lockup switch is an option. But be aware that you will have another thing to worry about - if you don't switch it off before stopping, you will stall, and your shifts will be much jerkier. You will lose torque multiplication uphill. I have this mod with a speed control so it doesn't work below 65kph. Used it a few times on the open road and never use it now.

I tip you would use it a couple of times before ditching it.

Another thing you can do in the auto on steep downhill is apply some handbrake to steady the speed. This braking is on the tailshft so will not lock wheels (unless you are looking at a 4.8 )
Very occasionally I have been on the handbrake and the drive creep in 1st low was too fast - gearbox into neutral to control this.

Last edited by ACMPatrol; 05-01-2017 at 07:59 AM.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:18 AM
--- The Rodfather ---

Thanked 4,758 Times in 3,355 Posts
Garage

I love my manual Troll, had it for coming up on 17 years, the 4by before that was an auto and the two before that were manual, but in the unlikely event I ever sell this one I would buy an auto, I'm getting lazy in my old age.

The guy's have covered off hill descents, how you drive is more important than what you drive, the auto I spoke of went to some tough places, I remember one long steep shale mountain I drove regularly, first gear and let it idle down no worries.

My Album
My Build
My Channel
ZD30DI Tech Archives
My Dawes valve works fine! Where did I go wrong? .

Domestic Violence Has No Excuse, Rugby League Players Are Not Above The Law.

Old 05-01-2017, 07:36 PM

The other thing is the auto gearbox keeps the engine in its torque band (2000rpm+) at all times, so its nicer to drive.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:54 AM
Pseudoiterative

Thanked 1,940 Times in 1,279 Posts

Auto for me too. Diesel/auto is a terrific combination.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:21 AM
Part Of The Furniture Round Here

Thanked 4,104 Times in 2,956 Posts

The Auto is pretty much better in almost every situation. Only downside is 2500kg towing compared to 3200kg.
Engine braking is fine in 1st low as the torque converter locks up. Adding a converter lockup mod is pretty simple too.
The ZD30 loves to be on boost and boost is more constant with the auto. Don't get me wrong The manual goes fine but the auto is the better combination.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:27 PM
--- The Rodfather ---

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by skegbudley View Post
The Auto is pretty much better in almost every situation. Only downside is 2500kg towing compared to 3200kg.
Engine braking is fine in 1st low as the torque converter locks up. Adding a converter lockup mod is pretty simple too.
The ZD30 loves to be on boost and boost is more constant with the auto. Don't get me wrong The manual goes fine but the auto is the better combination.
Disagree with that part , horses for courses, but as said my next one would be an auto because I'm getting lazy in my old age..... I stick by what I said, it's not what you drive, it's how you drive

My Album
My Build
My Channel
ZD30DI Tech Archives

Old 13-02-2017, 09:35 PM

I'm a bit amazed by all the comments about the auto being a better option in the 3L TD.
I have a 2000 model R50 Pathy (V6 petrol) with auto and for a mid size car it is heavy on juice.
Looking at a 2010 model Patrol, Ti, 3L TD manual, thought it would have a little more power.

Other comments about the auto with the 3L TD being gutless ring loud to me which concerns me.

The idea if steep hill starts in the High Country scare me a little (we go up there often) but otherwise the manual appeals. I live in country Victoria and will only need to drive this thing in Melbourne some times so that doesn't faze me too much.

Has anyone had both versions of the 3L TD, ie. auto and manual to compare?

Others have said I'll notice the difference in torque with the TD in the Patrol if I go that way so the auto was a deterrent.

Comments?

Stevo.
Old 13-02-2017, 09:46 PM
Rogue

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo62 View Post
I'm a bit amazed by all the comments about the auto being a better option in the 3L TD.
I have a 2000 model R50 Pathy (V6 petrol) with auto and for a mid size car it is heavy on juice.
Looking at a 2010 model Patrol, Ti, 3L TD manual, thought it would have a little more power.

Other comments about the auto with the 3L TD being gutless ring loud to me which concerns me.

The idea if steep hill starts in the High Country scare me a little (we go up there often) but otherwise the manual appeals. I live in country Victoria and will only need to drive this thing in Melbourne some times so that doesn't faze me too much.

Has anyone had both versions of the 3L TD, ie. auto and manual to compare?

Others have said I'll notice the difference in torque with the TD in the Patrol if I go that way so the auto was a deterrent.

Comments?

Stevo.
Hey Stevo,

I too live in country Vic and and spent most my life living in the upper Yarra Valley. I've had two Patrols and I would strongly argue for the Vic high country, the Patrol although very capable, with the 3L diesel manuals, they're not strong on down low torque until boost has built up and the Patrol's low range is still too high.

I know others will say the 3L is great all round and it's never been a problem for them, but they're not me and I don't like the 3L manual performance in the offroad environment I tour (From Kinglake to Orbost, Walhalla to Corryong) particularly with bigger tyres. That said, it's only a small price to pay to get it right though, once I fitted 43% reduction gears, I could easily take off on even the steepest ascents without spinning wheels in a controlled and easy manner in my manual 3L Patrols and crawling over obstacles (where the auto is better) was great. It was by far the best mod I did.

I've never had an auto, but a couple mates have and they're usually stopping half way down descents to cool their brakes off. A few kilometres of 30-45 will do that.

As for overall power, the 3L Patrol is not powerful. It does have OK torque without getting the revs up too much, but isn't great at least in my experiences.

EDIT: Oh, I'd still prefer a manual 3L Patrol for Vic touring all day everyday.

I used to have Patrols

Must be beer o'clock
Old 13-02-2017, 10:15 PM

There is a major problem with manuals off road, eg in the high country.

If you are say in 2nd low, and climbing a hill that gets steeper such that you need to change back to first, you will fall below the torque range in a 4 cyl diesel. Most manual boxes are not slick enough to change back quickly.

That means clutch riding to keep going or get going again.

I'd rather nurse the unit downhill in an auto than have dramas going up.
Old 13-02-2017, 10:57 PM
--- The Rodfather ---

Garage

I've been driving 4by's since the early 80's in all environments and conditions, 4's and 6's, 3 were manual 1 was an auto (96-2000), it had heaps of gear on it so it was expected to be capable of anything. But having said that I've never had issues in a manual either and they have covered a lot of territory as well, choosing the correct gear before starting a difficult section does make life a little easier but it's not imperative. I would buy an auto if I was buying a new 4by now but that is more because I'm getting lazier.

My Album
My Build
My Channel
ZD30DI Tech Archives

Old 14-02-2017, 08:31 AM
Rogue

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACMPatrol View Post
There is a major problem with manuals off road, eg in the high country.

If you are say in 2nd low, and climbing a hill that gets steeper such that you need to change back to first, you will fall below the torque range in a 4 cyl diesel. Most manual boxes are not slick enough to change back quickly.

That means clutch riding to keep going or get going again.

I'd rather nurse the unit downhill in an auto than have dramas going up.
I've never really found that to be a problem. Mind you I'm usually pretty good a choosing the right gear first, maintaining momentum and quickly shifting.

I used to have Patrols

Must be beer o'clock