Buying my first 4wd - GU Patrol? - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > General Patrol Forums > Buying a Nissan Patrol

Patrol4x4.com is the premier Nissan Patrol Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22-07-2009, 06:57 PM

Default Buying my first 4wd - GU Patrol?

Hi narrowed my search down to a couple - still going to keep Jackaroos in mind if something pops up in the next 7 weeks (when I sell my car). The 4wd I buy will be mainly used around the suburbs, not CBD, and I plan to go on little trips every 2nd or 3rd weekend plus the occasional 2+ week trip. I know the petrol fuel economy will be alot worse than the diesel but I'll be able to afford to fill it up whenever needed. Both Patrols have sub tanks.

Basically the first 4wd I looked at, 1998 GU Patrol, 2.8 Turbo Diesel, Manual, pushing 200,000kms. Now, I know that at around the 200,000km mark they can blow the head IF they havent been looked after, this Patrol was one owner from new who trader the car in for a BMW... it doesnt have a bullbar which is a slight bonus as I dont mind buying one, it is in immaculate condition inside and out, not a mark anywhere. It has full service history, has had the cam done and I really feel this is a good car, if the head blows I'll just buy a new one. This one the dealer price is $15,500 or $17000 with 3 month warranty. Pics of this car http://www.flickr.com/photos/40432818@N05/

2nd car is also a 1998 GU Patrol, but a 4.5L petrol, manual, 160,000kms. Not sure what warranty would come with this but it is not as good condition as the first one, eg back door has been pushed slightly and doesnt open, little rust spots around engine etc and it has been in the dealers yard for at least 3 months, I remember seeing it a while ago. The price on this is $17,999 but they said I could probably trade my Commodore in for it, which means I should be able to lower the price to $15000? Link: Http://www.newspot.com.au its the only patrol they have so not hard to find, its white.

Now, the 2.8 is less powerful than the 4.5 obviously, but which is better all round?

Toyota Landcrusiers 80 Series......

Have very quickly looked at 2 of these one is an automatic 1994 model, 245000kms, ok-to-good condition, had some work to be done in the yard before being sold... I took it for a drive around the block and it goes well, no smoke etc (petrol wouldnt usually have smoke anyway?) However it is a bit shuddery when accelerating on and off and it pulls a bit at steady acceleration (the dealer said all 80 series automatics would do that) The price was $14999 but said they could do $13500 all up, if I waved the cash Id push it under $13k... however I just didnt like the automatic, I really want a manual 4wd for some reason.

The other one was just traded at the dealer and wont be ready to view for at least 2 weeks, its a 1992 factory turbo diesel, manual, GXL and he said it is a '1HZ?' which is good. The dealer knows the guy who traded it in and said its a very good car and once cleaned up I will check it out, only thing is its 360,000kms and he said the price will be around $15000.

So thats where I stand at the moment, the Patrol and the LC are the 2 cars Im interested in buying but if a sweet deal pops up in the next couple months I might take it. Esp on a Jackaroo. Either way I want a manual. So any advice you can give would be great. I am in Adelaide, South Australia

Thanks, Rick
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-07-2009, 10:06 PM

G’day Rick, I was in the same boat a month or so ago and decided to go the petrol for any rebuild cost if anything goes wrong as the only diesel GU’s I could afford had over 200,000kms. I managed to pick up a 1998 GU ST 4.5L for $10,000 with 170,000kms a steel bull bar, UHF, 7 seater, the interior was in fantastic condition and the exterior had a few minor scratches but nothing that a good trip wouldn’t do anyway. Have now had it converted to gas and the first few tanks when gas was 47c/ltr it was costing me $10 per 100kms around town, however last few tanks have been $13 per 100kms, and the out of pocket expense for the gas conversion was $800. If range could be a problem for you then I could have also had the 80ltr petrol tank fitted for $750.

Hope this helps
Rich
Old 22-07-2009, 10:31 PM
She's apples

Rick, both those examples of patrols you have given are definitely top prices for the year/engine/km. As Rich has done, there are plenty of bargains to be had if you look and aren't in a hurry.

The cruisers are also top dollar for the year. I didn't think any 1HZ's were factory turbos?

Adelaide's prices are generally a bit higher than eastern states. Buying from Melbourne will probably save you $1,000's and lots more to choose from. Cheap flight there and drive back. Definitely worth the effort. I would also avoid car dealers warranties. I got my 4.5 GU from Lakeside Nissan by chance, but got it as is, with no warranty. I saw it just as it was traded too which made me more keen.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 23-07-2009, 09:30 AM

Toyota 80 series comes with 1HZ IDI diesel or Factory turbo 1HDT DI diesel.
If it is a 1HZ with a turbo it is aftermarket.
Understand your pref for manual - i'm the same, just don't enjoy driving auto's.
I wouldn't buy a Jackaroo cos I don't like IFS in a 4WD.
2.8 patrol should be pretty economical and can get fuel anywhere.
I would look for a TD42 patrol - even without turbo (cheaper) and fit aftermarket turbo.
Actually I would look for a 96 or 97 GQ TD42
and
2005 GU IV ST-S TD42TDi - the 'tourer'
3" exhaust, boost controller, digital pyro.
Old 23-07-2009, 10:10 AM

Another data point. I bought a 4.5 ST with only 108km from a dealer in Feb for $18.5K then added injected gas with LRA 75 litre petrol tank for $3K (after rebate). The car was in perfect condition, much nicer than our 2005 Astra with 60K of shopping trips and I am very happy. So there are much better 4.5's for the money than the one you are looking at. Or you can get serviceable ones for much cheaper.

BTW my sister has a 93 petrol Jack which has done 400K on the original engine and gearbox and they will do any normal 4WD touring - just not the extreme stuff.
Old 23-07-2009, 11:41 AM

Default i've done this trip and

purchased a 4.2ltr td gu in April. Doing all the pro's and con's thing myself. I think you need to consider if your doing remote long distance trips, if so, diesel is the only way to go, simply because farms, remote stations etc all have it. That is over gas anyway.

Keep away from the TD Jackaroo, the petrol one is prob no worries, but the TD version has a injector problem at 100000kms that can go bang.

Why all dealers, is it because of finance? Your money will go a lot better in 2nd hand market, And even a rebuilt and modified GQ could be a better way of spending your money, I have even thought whether this was a better route for myself now. GU is great, but it's stock, and accessories costs, so if someone else is willing to pay the $$, and you basically get it all thrown in the deal it's better for you! So try not to think, oh yeh, i'll add the bullbar, and then and then, because before you know it, $10000 of accessories have been added on something you might have paid and extra $1500 for in the purchase price of your vehicle.
Old 23-07-2009, 11:54 AM

out of those vehicles u mentioned your looking at - id be getting the 80 series
Old 23-07-2009, 08:15 PM
She's apples

Seen this on Ebay, its at Seaford Rise.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NISSAN-PATROL...3%3A1|294%3A50
Old 23-07-2009, 08:58 PM
If you have to ask why you wouldn't understand

Garage

$7950 buy it now, just needs the hot start issue sorted! Bargain!
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Nissan-Patrol...lenotsupported
ST Club #5
Silver Patrol club #9
Old 24-07-2009, 11:38 AM

Thanks for the replies guys, a good help. I'm not buying anything for about 2 months now as someone reversed into my Commodore (the car im planning to sell before buying a 4wd) and I have to get the bumper painted, 6 weeks wait GRR! As for the cars I've looked at, I've only been to dealers because I want to get the feel of the different types of cars. As for car choice, I'm not going to get a 2.8 diesel now, I've heard alot more cons than pros for it, also wont go for a 3.0 diesel. If anything I will go for a 4.5 petrol, it has a sub tank so should get ok range... will only be doing basic 4wding to start with and then will get into the rougher/longer stuff. Is petrol ok to go for? As for the 80 series LC's Im just not sure if I want one of them even though they are the longer lasting car
Old 24-07-2009, 12:28 PM

I just bought a 2002 GU ST 4.2TD with under 200k for 21k from Pt Lincoln.
There are bargins out there if you're patient.
4 the weekends : 315/75/16 BFG mudders
Hers : '10 XR5 Focus