Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

Buying a Patrol...thoughts?

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  RALPHMCPHERSON 
#1 ·
Hi all,

New guy here...I posted a thread yesterday (not sure why it never came up) but I'll have another go.
I've been browsing this site for some time, but have only joined recently.

I've been in the market for a Patrol for a while, and recently found one that is really clean with good service history.
Before going ahead with an offer, I thought I'd ask better informed guys / girls if this sounds like a good buy.

2002 Patrol GU 3
285 000kms
ARB deluxe bull bar
TJM roof tray
Canvas seat covers
Full service history
2" lift
Spot lights
New brake and clutch master cylinders
Clutch and brakes flushed and cleaned
New radiator
New front wheel bearings
New alternator
New battery

Would $13750 sound like a fair price?
I took the car for a drive, approximately 30 mins on back roads, dirt road and highway and it felt really good.
Just want to make sure that I'm going in the right direction with this purchase.

Any input would be appreciated.

See less See more
#3 ·
Sorry, forgot to mention it was the 3L diesel.

It's worth mentioning that this owner was one of the most pedantic owners I've seen.....
I'm also aware of the "grenade" reputation( and the opposite too), but the service history and condition is swinging my view.

Thanks for the input Bigfella

#5 ·
My father has one about the same vintage, but with less kays. He is very happy with his and has factored in any future engine repairs, but any twelve year old car is going to need money spent on it one way or the other. Just how much nobody knows?

#6 ·
Thanks for the replies...

@Bigfella - it's still the original motor, never been replaced or "rebuilt" except for the recent replacement of the radiator and other parts as mentioned as a precaution.
I plan to do nads shortly after buying so hopefully that will reduce any future issues too.

#13 ·
Its on the open road where the damage is done when the exhaust temps go up and fatigue the pistons and no NADS have been fitted to monitor whats happening and this can occur regardless on the quality of engine oil thats been used and or how often its been changed

#14 ·
Thanks gents,

I bought the car and have spent the last day driving it....all up I'm very happy.
Should have the nads parts together within 2 weeks and then will start the mission of removing the intake manifold and cleaning before fitting the nads gear etc.

I'm also going to change all drivetrain oils (it's just had an engine oil change) to be sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.