Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

gq turbo ute im looking at buying

7K views 58 replies 17 participants last post by  gun32gtr 
#1 ·
hey all,
this is my first thread as ive just joined,read some great stuff and im looking forward to enjoying my stay.
im looking at buying this gq ute and was just wondering if you patrol gurus could answer a few questions.here is the list of stuff it has and has had done over the last little while!!!!!!!

1997 Nissan Patrol Tray back.
4.2lt Turbo Diesel.
Turbo Tech turbo,
5 Speed g/box,
Full engine rebuild & turbo dyno tuned 43ish,k ago.
Turbo timer,
K&N air filter,
Turbo boost guage,
Extra Oil pressure gauge,(don't trust dash lights only)
2 ½ inch exhaust system,
Monster tyres, 33x12.50.R15lt (2 are new)
Winch ready near new Bullbar,(coupla scratches) + Spotty's
Tow bar,
Snorkel,
Genuine Long-range tank,
40 ch Uniden UHF radio,
Spring loaded base/booster aerial ,
Near new Side steps,
Near new front springs,
Mining pack rear springs,
Toolbox, (containing extra hoses belts and more)
High lift jack(not used in yrs)
10 tonne Hyd jack,
Excellent interior
Dash mat,
Canvas seat covers{clean in t/box} Drivers side base has a couple of wear holes.
Pioneer CD player & split speaker system. (Needs a good clean)
New brake master Cylinder and Tie rod ends in the tool box, ready for fitting.
THIS IS A REAL 4WD, BUILT FOR THE BUSH!!!

Had tie rod end fitted and wheel alignment done recently.
Ready for the rough stuff, I'll tell you any faults when you drop over.

now i took the ute for a test drive today. the ute went really really well didnt make any funny noises or didnt blow any kinda blue smoke on take or whilst under boost. handled well so on and so fourth.

now to my question

1. the car did take awhile to kick over even when warm. could it be glow plugs are shagged, lift pump on its way out or something different???

2. there was a little bit of oil on the pipe from inlet manifold that crosses over the motor.maybe bit of blow by. the oil pressure gauge that was aftermarketly installed read all good.also the car never blew any smoke bar on cold start up,but only the usual amount that ive seen on all the diesels ive owned???

3.what are the turbo tech setups like???

any help will be greatly appreciated

regards kane:p

See less See more
#52 ·
gun32gtr said:
if there was a coil cab turbo getting round for the roughly the same price id have a look at it. as i have mentioned b4 i only have roughly 13k to spend.
i have looked on all the car sites and have not found one round or even close to this price. coil that is.I'm not waiting for one to come along as i need one now..as far as rough i have owned and still own leave sprung Utes. i have driven this one and i didn't think it was that bad.

thanks for your advice:eek:
Ha ha thats cool mate I know the coil cabs on average aren't cheap but you can pick the odd one up here and there I missed one by a bees dick a while ago for 10K turbo TD.42 in better than average nick :mad:

I am not knocking leafs had a few my self tho don't think I could Handel them any more after my coil ,a mates 75 series cruiser riding in that I can feel every spin jarring bump now ,down side of coils makes you soft ;) GLwith it hope it ends up being a good bus for you (it is a patrol ):p and damn I am jealous it is turbo :(

#53 ·
gun32gtr said:
also he said i should change diff and box oil,as the car has been sitting for the last 12months only been driven very rarly as he is now in a wheel chair..
I hate looking at buying cars (oh the oils just been done not that long ago)
but in the same breath might need an oil change be sitting

great way to sell a car hoping the buyer is not smart enough to put two and two together ;) best to do all thing like that your self then you know what has been done and when :p

#54 ·
yeh i rang him today and asked some more questions. he was very fourth coming in what needed to be done. he did say the motor was done like it has been every 5oook. but the diffs and box havnt been done sense his crash that put him in the chair(motorbike not the ute) that was four years ago and the car has approx 10kms in those 4 yours at most. so im going to drop the lot once i get the ute,if i get it that is.

he also said the turbo was checked b4 when the last build to place. he also has the info of the rebuild and the number of the blke in darwin which did the build and said im quiet welcome to ring him... i think this guy is genuine bloke. but that dosnt mean there aint going to be things go wrong

#57 ·
gun32gtr said:
im looking at the ute again next week so any input b4 then be great

cheers
Gun32gtr,

Ya just gotta love the patrols. I've got a 93 4.2 deisel leafy,
twin locked n lifted.Just point n shoot :p .

Animal.

#58 ·
gun32gtr go for it, if the guy has had the car for a few years now and it hasnt done many km coz of the accident it sounds pretty good, as u and a few others have said, drop all the oils as soon as u get it, give it a really good birthday
also replace things like radiator hoses, get the whole cooling system flushed and cleaned and just double check everything, and regrease n repack what you can,
alot of things can stuff up from not having done a lot of kms such as bearings and gaskets, and the air con system may have stuffed seals but those are mainly maintenance issues anyway
good luck with it buddy, and try knocking him down on the price if you can, i cant remember what u said he was asking $12,500 yea? try and go there with say a bank cheque for $8000 and then have say $3000 cash. the cash usually is a great deal breaker, my last commodore i bought, they were asking 16 000 for it, i knew it had been in the caryard for a month or so, and went in with a bank cheque for 10,000 and 3000 cash n drove out with it

#59 ·
bought the ute it absolutly hammers. Up hills over taking at 120-130 easy in 5th. Very happy with it thats for sure. Got him from 14k to 12.5k. Which i think is fair. The tue is very tidy. The tray could do with some tlc in areas but hey thats not important. Changing all the fluids etc this week. Again very happy with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.