GU TD42/Chev 6.5/Duramax vs Land Cruiser 76 - Page 5 - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > General Patrol Forums > Buying a Nissan Patrol

Patrol4x4.com is the premier Nissan Patrol Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2017, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor2000 View Post
I've just had a 1hdfte put into a 05 patrol so if you have any questions flick me a message.
Still got a couple of teething issues to fix, need to upgrade the suspension due to the extra weight of the engine, the bloody thing kangaroos when driving over rough terrain at slow speed which may be a gturbo chip issue so ive got to disconnect it to verify. Apart from that it goes like a scalded cat and overtaking road trains and other slow movers is a breeze. Haven't had it over a dyno yet as struggling to find one here that'll do it but a guy over east had his dynoed with same mods as me but with an auto transmission and got 950nm, 210kw and 280hp on 33s.
Sorry to hijack the build thread but have you tried Campbell Brothers Racing & Dyno Tuning out at humpty doo? They only do petrol but their mate knows the diesel side of it and uses their dyno, he did my TD42 and I know a few blokes who've had their cruiser 4.2s done as weel and they go good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2017, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBryan View Post
Sorry to hijack the build thread but have you tried Campbell Brothers Racing & Dyno Tuning out at humpty doo? They only do petrol but their mate knows the diesel side of it and uses their dyno, he did my TD42 and I know a few blokes who've had their cruiser 4.2s done as weel and they go good.
Cheers, I think I may of but it was hard teeing up a time.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-05-2017, 09:12 PM

Garage

Just thought I should share my experience with the patrol vs landcruiser area and what I have at the moment. (For a young fella)

I first started off with a fairly basic 2001 ZD30 (the worse of the lot) and it was admittedly a **** box (Thats saying it nicely) I pulled the motor apart at 290k for a rebuilt to find out it had already been rebuilt in the past. I fitted it with full nads kit and rebuilt the top end for it to blow out again 3k later.
Stay away from ZD30's

I then converted my ZD to a 2004 TD42Ti from a mate who works as a salesman at ACM parts. I got my motor for a cheap $5500 then with GST and 2 years warranty added brought it to $7500. I took the warranty because Id rather know my budget now and what Im up to rather then have it die prematurely after purchasing it. This so far has been an awesome investment and is serving me perfectly for the moment. I fitted the motor with a 12mm pump, 18g turbo, aftermarket intercooler, injector work and a cushioned button clutch from DCS which can hold in excess of 1000nm+ which is bucket loads more then I need.

The total conversion including parts and performance upgrades came to 12k. I purchased my vehicle for 12k as well. So in total have spent around 35k on the car, engine conversion and also my modifications on the vehicle as well.
The TD42 may be an old motor but a newer model such as the factory turbo blacktops 03 onwards particularly can be a very solid powerhouse and with money spent on them can get you 700-900nm of torque around 1800-2200RPM and still keep there reliability and as for the cooling system this is usually due to poor maintenance, worn out parts or most the time I find its due to a poor tune.

Alright so now that I've shared my experience with my vehicle lets talk about the Patrol VS Landcruiser battle.

A patrol hands down wins with the drivetrain, it is alot more solid, durable and will outlast any drivetrain of a landcruiser. I have seen with my own eyes landcruisers busting diffs, gearboxes and CVs numerous times on tracks that a patrol doesn't blink an eye at, there is no argument that a patrol dominates a cruiser in the drivetrain department.

Appearance: Well this is probably just me but in my eyes a patrol also looks alot tougher, more aftermarket accessories are available as well (Some may argue with this but in Australia its true)

Now for the motor comparison. Yes certain landcruisers with a 1HD do come factory with a better powerhouse then a patrol, they do not have overheating issues and pushing large power is also easier. Some have converted this motor into a patrol making it a legendary weapon but in my eyes there are better conversions out there.
People mistake the TD for being a **** motor because "1HD" but they forget that a TD is still a legendary motor and when looked after will do 750k to a million kilometers without an issue, they are basic and not much can go wrong with them, what else do you want in a 4wd? Decent power, good low down torque, reliability and a solid as **** under carriage.

When you add everything up a patrol (to me) takes the lead in a lot more aspects then a cruiser especially when doing really tough 4wding and pushing that drivetrain to its limits where a cruiser can't hold up. If you were touring, doing the average hardcore track here and there well then sure, grab a cruiser but its still not going to be as durable.

This is just sharing from my knowledge, what I have read, experienced and strongly what I believe. It doesn't take long to figure out what does work and what doesn't.
Personally if I were you, I would buy a factory turbo TD42 for 20-25k (30-40k if you want a series 4) and modify it to your needs, it is going to dominate any other vehicle on the market and when done right you will be super happy with it.

Nissan Patrol GU 2001

TD42Ti (200HP)
5" Lift (PSR Five Link Front)
35" TTC Claws
3" Exhaust
85% Reduction Gears
Front Locker
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stocky789 For This Useful Post:
Bigfella65 (05-05-2017), GU3.0 (04-05-2017), Marko_SJ (10-05-2017), terkukaiku (03-05-2017), UncleBryan (04-05-2017)

Old 03-05-2017, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocky789 View Post
Just thought I should share my experience with the patrol vs landcruiser area and what I have at the moment. (For a young fella)

I first started off with a fairly basic 2001 ZD30 (the worse of the lot) and it was admittedly a **** box (Thats saying it nicely) I pulled the motor apart at 290k for a rebuilt to find out it had already been rebuilt in the past. I fitted it with full nads kit and rebuilt the top end for it to blow out again 3k later.
Stay away from ZD30's

I then converted my ZD to a 2004 TD42Ti from a mate who works as a salesman at ACM parts. I got my motor for a cheap $5500 then with GST and 2 years warranty added brought it to $7500. I took the warranty because Id rather know my budget now and what Im up to rather then have it die prematurely after purchasing it. This so far has been an awesome investment and is serving me perfectly for the moment. I fitted the motor with a 12mm pump, 18g turbo, aftermarket intercooler, injector work and a cushioned button clutch from DCS which can hold in excess of 1000nm+ which is bucket loads more then I need.

The total conversion including parts and performance upgrades came to 12k. I purchased my vehicle for 12k as well. So in total have spent around 35k on the car, engine conversion and also my modifications on the vehicle as well.
The TD42 may be an old motor but a newer model such as the factory turbo blacktops 03 onwards particularly can be a very solid powerhouse and with money spent on them can get you 700-900nm of torque around 1800-2200RPM and still keep there reliability and as for the cooling system this is usually due to poor maintenance, worn out parts or most the time I find its due to a poor tune.

Alright so now that I've shared my experience with my vehicle lets talk about the Patrol VS Landcruiser battle.

A patrol hands down wins with the drivetrain, it is alot more solid, durable and will outlast any drivetrain of a landcruiser. I have seen with my own eyes landcruisers busting diffs, gearboxes and CVs numerous times on tracks that a patrol doesn't blink an eye at, there is no argument that a patrol dominates a cruiser in the drivetrain department.

Appearance: Well this is probably just me but in my eyes a patrol also looks alot tougher, more aftermarket accessories are available as well (Some may argue with this but in Australia its true)

Now for the motor comparison. Yes certain landcruisers with a 1HD do come factory with a better powerhouse then a patrol, they do not have overheating issues and pushing large power is also easier. Some have converted this motor into a patrol making it a legendary weapon but in my eyes there are better conversions out there.
People mistake the TD for being a **** motor because "1HD" but they forget that a TD is still a legendary motor and when looked after will do 750k to a million kilometers without an issue, they are basic and not much can go wrong with them, what else do you want in a 4wd? Decent power, good low down torque, reliability and a solid as **** under carriage.

When you add everything up a patrol (to me) takes the lead in a lot more aspects then a cruiser especially when doing really tough 4wding and pushing that drivetrain to its limits where a cruiser can't hold up. If you were touring, doing the average hardcore track here and there well then sure, grab a cruiser but its still not going to be as durable.

This is just sharing from my knowledge, what I have read, experienced and strongly what I believe. It doesn't take long to figure out what does work and what doesn't.
Personally if I were you, I would buy a factory turbo TD42 for 20-25k (30-40k if you want a series 4) and modify it to your needs, it is going to dominate any other vehicle on the market and when done right you will be super happy with it.
Your post was soo bloody good, i read it twice..

Thanks, thats why the TD42Ti makes it to No.1 on my A List... It just ticks all boxes and still comes in cheaper than the rest (besides the 1-2 months wait on conversions). With such high resale value,its easy to back out of it as well..

Cheers for the detail write up!

Its TD42 vs 1HD-FTE/Cummins/LS Series conversions for me..
Old 03-05-2017, 09:23 PM

Garage

And they sound bloody tough!
Heres my TD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6dZOSncGQQ
The Following User Says Thank You to Stocky789 For This Useful Post:
terkukaiku (03-05-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:

Stay away from ZD30's

What engines do you reckon are better for a conversion?
Old 11-05-2017, 06:30 PM

Garage

Quote:
What engines do you reckon are better for a conversion?
In what sense mate? As in motors that are easier to be converted or motors that are better to go in?

Nissan Patrol GU 2001

TD42Ti (200HP)
5" Lift (PSR Five Link Front)
35" TTC Claws
3" Exhaust
85% Reduction Gears
Front Locker
Old 11-05-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
In what sense mate? As in motors that are easier to be converted or motors that are better to go in?
In the sense you were meaning, you said there is better motors out there to do a conversion with. I was just wondering what you thought they were.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:53 PM

Garage

Quote:
In the sense you were meaning, you said there is better motors out there to do a conversion with. I was just wondering what you thought they were.
Better then a 1HD?
Duramax
LS
Barra Turbo
RB26
TB48 Turbo (If chasing power)
There is also a straight 6 BMW motor that I have heard people put in as well. There the most popular ones and depending on what your preference is they are in no specific order.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stocky789 For This Useful Post:
terkukaiku (12-05-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Better then a 1HD?
Duramax
LS
Barra Turbo
RB26
There is also a straight 6 BMW motor that I have heard people put in as well. There the most popular ones and depending on what your preference is they are in no specific order.
Probably a lot of people would argue with that list and rightly so.
Don't think people really consider the TB48 as a conversion option, cheaper to just buy one than bother farting around with swapping an engine from one into whatever you have.
Duramax is the only one there that is really better than a 1hdfte and you're looking at $20000+ more for the conversion.
The RB26 has heaps of potential from stock but not sure what you need to get 900nm out of it whereas it's fairly simple and reliable to achieve with the toyo engine.
The Barra and LS would be fun as hell to drive but I wouldn't consider one of them for a tourer.
The BMW is slightly more expensive to do and there's plenty of them in Europe, which probably makes sense since they are plentiful over there, but how many mechanics in the middle of nowhere could work on it or how many owners could fix it up themselves if they had too?
The Nissan 4.2 is a decent engine but if you compare it to the toyo 4.2 then it would lose hands down and the fact that people are wanting $40000+ for 03-05 models means that cost wise it's cheaper to buy a 3 litre Nissan and put the toyo 4.2 in.
The cummins wasn't mentioned but again I think it costs more to do and is also a bit heavier again than the toyo 4.2.
The Following User Says Thank You to razor2000 For This Useful Post:
terkukaiku (12-05-2017)
Old 12-05-2017, 07:35 AM

Garage

Quote:
Quote:
Better then a 1HD?
Duramax
LS
Barra Turbo
RB26
Probably a lot of people would argue with that list and rightly so.
Don't think people really consider the TB48 as a conversion option, cheaper to just buy one than bother farting around with swapping an engine from one into whatever you have.
Duramax is the only one there that is really better than a 1hdfte and you're looking at $20000+ more for the conversion.
The RB26 has heaps of potential from stock but not sure what you need to get 900nm out of it whereas it's fairly simple and reliable to achieve with the toyo engine.
The Barra and LS would be fun as hell to drive but I wouldn't consider one of them for a tourer.
The BMW is slightly more expensive to do and there's plenty of them in Europe, which probably makes sense since they are plentiful over there, but how many mechanics in the middle of nowhere could work on it or how many owners could fix it up themselves if they had too?
The Nissan 4.2 is a decent engine but if you compare it to the toyo 4.2 then it would lose hands down and the fact that people are wanting $40000+ for 03-05 models means that cost wise it's cheaper to buy a 3 litre Nissan and put the toyo 4.2 in.
The cummins wasn't mentioned but again I think it costs more to do and is also a bit heavier again than the toyo 4.2.
That's just my opinion mate, I don't see the point of swapping out an old school mechanical 4.2 that is capable of 300hp and 900mm for another motor that can get a little bit more when its not necessary
Sure a 1HD is a better motor but is it really worth doing a conversion for it considering a TD42 is still a solid motor?

Everyone has different tastes but personally I wouldn't waste money on nearly the same motor, sure some TDs have heating issues but mine cruises at 75-85 degrees all day unless smashing it up hills towing which will then see 100, still not an issue.

And i know this is personal preference but the TD sounds a **** load tougher to
Old 12-05-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
That's just my opinion mate, I don't see the point of swapping out an old school mechanical 4.2 that is capable of 300hp and 900mm for another motor that can get a little bit more when its not necessary
Sure a 1HD is a better motor but is it really worth doing a conversion for it considering a TD42 is still a solid motor?

Everyone has different tastes but personally I wouldn't waste money on nearly the same motor, sure some TDs have heating issues but mine cruises at 75-85 degrees all day unless smashing it up hills towing which will then see 100, still not an issue.

Yeah the conversion topic is fairly heavy with opinions and that's to be expected, everyone has their favourites.
I don't think anyone was talking about pulling a Nissan 4.2 out to put a toyo one in, rather they were talking about good options if going down the conversion road versus buying a factory 4.2.
I think you need to have a listen to mine before saying they sound a load tougher, lol. I can't post vids up here for some reason so probably not going to happen.
Keep enjoying yours though and hope you get the chance to make the most of it.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:24 PM

Garage

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah the conversion topic is fairly heavy with opinions and that's to be expected, everyone has their favourites.
I don't think anyone was talking about pulling a Nissan 4.2 out to put a toyo one in, rather they were talking about good options if going down the conversion road versus buying a factory 4.2.
I think you need to have a listen to mine before saying they sound a load tougher, lol. I can't post vids up here for some reason so probably not going to happen.
Keep enjoying yours though and hope you get the chance to make the most of it.
Very true mate, its a very touchy subject and unfortunately not everyone is mature enough to respect each others opinions and thank you for not carrying on like a lunatic clown.
Post it up on youtube mate? I'm very keen to hear it haha the ones I've heard with an exhaust job haven't sounded very impressive
Old 12-05-2017, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Very true mate, its a very touchy subject and unfortunately not everyone is mature enough to respect each others opinions and thank you for not carrying on like a lunatic clown.
Post it up on youtube mate? I'm very keen to hear it haha the ones I've heard with an exhaust job haven't sounded very impressive
Hahaha, always seems more effort than it's worth behaving like a pork chop,lol.
What works for one guy might not work for another with these things.
If you had a 2.8 then the RB would be the go I reckon.
If after fun and power then either the LS or Barra option.
Money to spare or good on the tools/mechanic then the duramax would be the go and the power would be awesome and hard to resist.
Will work on getting some decent vids up. In the process of sorting the suspension out so once that's done I'll put it through some more of its paces to see what it's got.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:04 PM

Garage

Quote:
Hahaha, always seems more effort than it's worth behaving like a pork chop,lol.
What works for one guy might not work for another with these things.
If you had a 2.8 then the RB would be the go I reckon.
If after fun and power then either the LS or Barra option.
Money to spare or good on the tools/mechanic then the duramax would be the go and the power would be awesome and hard to resist.
Will work on getting some decent vids up. In the process of sorting the suspension out so once that's done I'll put it through some more of its paces to see what it's got.
It's alot of effort carrying on like a spazdick ay
Yeh thats another thing to take into consideration what motor you currently have
Id imagine if you have a petrol it would be easier to convert to another petrol since you save the wiring for glow plugs etc not that its very difficult anyway
Having a motor capable of a lot of power definitely would be hard to hold back from haha huge amounts of power and reliability at the same time.
Still keen to hear your 1HD though
Old 12-05-2017, 07:22 PM

Garage

Heres a video of my TD with a bit of revs. Of course the internet compresses video and audio so doesn't sound the same as a direct file but still pretty nice. The second link is of it in action climbing this steep rocky section. Nearly sounds like a V8 when under load hahah

https://youtu.be/N9FutOdWsek

https://youtu.be/AnJJTpVobwo?t=50s