If not a Patrol? - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > General Patrol Forums > Buying a Nissan Patrol

Patrol4x4.com is the premier Nissan Patrol Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14-03-2017, 10:16 PM

Garage
Default If not a Patrol?

Some may know I sold my patrol in recent month or so, a decision I did not take lightly but for me I had to get rid of that car.

I've literally gone on to gumtree every day since I sold the old bus and have refreshed a search for GU and GQ patrols. I have seen every patrol listed over the last 2 months! Some good, some bad, some outrageous.

I would love to step back into a TD42, turbo or non I do not mind. If I get sick of a slug I can easily turbo one, that is not beyond my abilities. I know a lot of people will say why not a ZD30 but I just don't really like them.

My dilemma however is finding the right one. I am chasing a straight well looked after GQ as GU's are pretty much no where near my price range which also seems to be my problem in regards to the TD42 GQ's up on the net at the moment. I battled to get 7k for my old bus. She ran like a dream and literally her only fault was a rust spot at the back. The GQ's on gumtree now are basically my old wagon with a detail and no rust and most of the boys are fetching twice on what I sold mine for! Worst thing is the muppets won't budge either!

I have this alliance to patrols, I've always been a patrol guy. I spruik the brand to all of my friends and it's so easy to when you have your wagon all kitted out and she always does exactly what you want.

But I'm beginning to consider why this is? I need a 4 seater, a wagon would be preferable but a ute could be worked with. I never have nor do I plan to do crazy tracks, I just want a diesel tourer to get my to campsites, some more remote than others.

I guess the point of this ramble is to pledge the question to any realists who might want to respond. What should I buy? Do I hold out for the "one". That patrol that comes in at the right price and the right time. God knows how long I will be waiting and I would love to have one before Easter. Or do I reassess my situation and go for a leafy dual cab or something of the likes. I've got 10k so still on a reasonable budget.

Any opinions would be great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14-03-2017, 10:33 PM
Part Of The Furniture Round Here

Thanked 4,412 Times in 3,160 Posts

I'd hold out and look for the right one.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skegbudley For This Useful Post:
kimba11 (14-03-2017), Marko_SJ (17-03-2017)
Old 14-03-2017, 11:24 PM

Garage

Hard decision mate.
I was in similar vote when looking for wagon tgat could seat 6 yet still fit fridge in back.

The zd30 ended being best option.
Pajero could of won but third row is solid seat not a split

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Expect the best, plan for the worst, and prepare to be surprised.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to Heavensent For This Useful Post:
kimba11 (15-03-2017)

Old 14-03-2017, 11:33 PM

Garage

Talk to Thrasher, he may or may not have a shorty for sale in near future
The Following User Says Thank You to madk1w1 For This Useful Post:
kimba11 (15-03-2017)
Old 15-03-2017, 07:57 PM

What would 10k get you as far as a dual cab ute goes? I'm not thinking you'd get much and they're not as robust or strong as a Patrol. A friend just bought a 2009 pk ranger with 180,000klms on it in reasonable condition and I think he paid 16k. I have a Ranger and I love it, but prefer the Patrol when it comes to most things.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RALPHMCPHERSON For This Useful Post:
kimba11 (15-03-2017), Marko_SJ (17-03-2017)
Old 15-03-2017, 08:25 PM

Garage

I was going to say 76 Series Cruiser until I read the 10k

Hold out for the right one, I have done that twice now, and I now have a GQ and GU 4.2 Turbo Patrols that will be with me for life. I spent years searching for the GQ, ended up finding it unexpectedly, and the GU's do come up if you keep looking.

I was on the internet day and night till I found one...

Good luck with your search
DX Club #102 - 1995 TD42, TD05, FMIC, 12mm, Fox Shox
1999 GU Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to tj81 For This Useful Post:
kimba11 (15-03-2017)
Old 15-03-2017, 10:36 PM

Garage

Thanks guys,

Yeah 10k does leave me with a limited market but although I could probably afford to take money out of my mortgage or get a small personal loan, I do not see the point as it's purely a weekender. I have a work ute for day to day stuff.

I had a feeling I'd get responses like this but hey! It is a patrol forum. The responses would always be bias!

My mrs just doesn't understand why it has to be a patrol. For someone who doesn't see motor vehicles for anything else other than A-B transport it's hard to try explain to her about safe gvm, the comfort of coil suspension and the durability of a patrol (that last one is especially hard to pass as I have done top end rebuilds on the last two patrols I've had).

I suppose I'll just have to wait!
Old 16-03-2017, 12:48 PM

I came from a Pajero NP.

If you don't want to do harder tracks and are looking for just getting bush - there aren't many better cars. Better on road and a nicer drive. They aren't without problems but a decent one could be found for that price.

I also spent 9 months looking for my Patrol - didn't want to pay the TD42 price and it is (flame suit on) old tech. Ended up finding a mint 2011 CRD that was perfect. Point is keep looking and don't immediately disregard the 3l.

I'm intrigued as to why you sold the old bus to only then buy another one - I am sure you had reasons though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Richie-Rich For This Useful Post:
kimba11 (16-03-2017)
Old 16-03-2017, 01:43 PM

Garage

This is on facebook

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Expect the best, plan for the worst, and prepare to be surprised.
The Following User Says Thank You to Heavensent For This Useful Post:
kimba11 (16-03-2017)
Old 16-03-2017, 04:52 PM

Know exactly how you feel kimba11, I have been looking for a GU Patrol for the last 6 months and still have not found what I want, a stock 04 GU wagon either 4.8 or a good 3.0L Diesel in stock very good condition. I have seen a lot of rough ones some way overpriced. I'm still hunting but now I'm thinking the unthinkable and that is a V8 or Diesel Landcrusier which is going to cost me considerable more.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigfella65 For This Useful Post:
kimba11 (16-03-2017)
Old 16-03-2017, 05:38 PM

Garage

Perhaps give Jacket a finders fee and send him to work....
DX Club #102 - 1995 TD42, TD05, FMIC, 12mm, Fox Shox
1999 GU Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tj81 For This Useful Post:
Jacket_1985 (17-03-2017), kimba11 (16-03-2017), Marko_SJ (17-03-2017), parscheese (17-03-2017)
Old 16-03-2017, 06:54 PM

Garage

I probably wouldn't say no to a reasonably priced manual 4.8 but I don't know, I just don't have an eye for them! I have mates that just somehow always find gumtree bargains. Never me though!

Yeah I thought about a cruiser but I go back to that pride thing! I've ragged out so many cruiser owners, going and buying one would just open me up to trouble from them. Downsides to being a cheeky git I suppose!

Yep jacket is king at finding them. Not sure what it's worth to transport one, I was willing to drive 4-5 hours to go see one but not sure about buying sight unseen!
Old 17-03-2017, 06:42 AM
"Toxic Personality"

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba11 View Post
Yep jacket is king at finding them. Not sure what it's worth to transport one, I was willing to drive 4-5 hours to go see one but not sure about buying sight unseen!
a plane ticket anywhere in aus is basically under $300. if you save 5k by buying from some out of the way spot its well worth it.

Transport west coast to east coast is $635 depot to depot.(patrick autocare)
get a forum member who knows what they are looking at to check it over for you. iv done it for guys here, and iv had other guys look at cars for me.... $100 if its an hours drive seems fair in most cases. cheaper than a racv test(or similar) and way cheaper than a return flight. gives you a clearer idea what you want to do next.....

Also on searches its loads quicker if you set up your tabs or save a bookmark with your search of choice run.... that way its only one click.

carsales, ebay, gumtree, facebook, pickles, grays, couple of forums......
Also i know that you(like nearly all of us) are budget conscious, but its worth considering what youre gonna do with the car longer term....

If youre gonna buy a long ranger tank, kaymar rear bar, ARB front airlocker, sliders, Winchbar, winch, lights, and you want a turbo, youre better off financially buying a factory td42t for 18k with that stuff than a stock td42 na for 9k.

You might try writing a parts spec that you WILL BE BUYING, add up the cost of just those parts, then look at cars with a few of those bits if possible. see if its more economical to buy it setup. -if you write a 15k parts list and you can score a car with 80% of the bits for 20k it means you probably only paid 5-8k for the car by the time you add the other bits you need.

if however youre leaving it stock, cheaper the better.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jacket_1985 For This Useful Post:
Heavensent (17-03-2017), kimba11 (17-03-2017), Marko_SJ (17-03-2017)
Old 17-03-2017, 07:28 AM

Garage

Thanks mate, that's some good advice
Old 17-03-2017, 12:24 PM

jackets on the ball.
I got a forum member to check out my latest 42t wagon which was 7 hours away.
It was grandad clean, 215k old st for 11500 including shipping.
Got the tick of approval, paid for it then got it shipped to my cousins to be chopped up.

my latest wagon will be for sale soon with literally all the fruit and will have a good freshen up cosmetically. asking more than 10 though but nothing as outragous as some ive seen lately.
Flick us a pm if your curious
Old 17-03-2017, 02:10 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba11 View Post
Some may know I sold my patrol in recent month or so, a decision I did not take lightly but for me I had to get rid of that car.

I've literally gone on to gumtree every day since I sold the old bus and have refreshed a search for GU and GQ patrols. I have seen every patrol listed over the last 2 months! Some good, some bad, some outrageous.

I would love to step back into a TD42, turbo or non I do not mind. If I get sick of a slug I can easily turbo one, that is not beyond my abilities. I know a lot of people will say why not a ZD30 but I just don't really like them.

My dilemma however is finding the right one. I am chasing a straight well looked after GQ as GU's are pretty much no where near my price range which also seems to be my problem in regards to the TD42 GQ's up on the net at the moment. I battled to get 7k for my old bus. She ran like a dream and literally her only fault was a rust spot at the back. The GQ's on gumtree now are basically my old wagon with a detail and no rust and most of the boys are fetching twice on what I sold mine for! Worst thing is the muppets won't budge either!

I have this alliance to patrols, I've always been a patrol guy. I spruik the brand to all of my friends and it's so easy to when you have your wagon all kitted out and she always does exactly what you want.

But I'm beginning to consider why this is? I need a 4 seater, a wagon would be preferable but a ute could be worked with. I never have nor do I plan to do crazy tracks, I just want a diesel tourer to get my to campsites, some more remote than others.

I guess the point of this ramble is to pledge the question to any realists who might want to respond. What should I buy? Do I hold out for the "one". That patrol that comes in at the right price and the right time. God knows how long I will be waiting and I would love to have one before Easter. Or do I reassess my situation and go for a leafy dual cab or something of the likes. I've got 10k so still on a reasonable budget.

Any opinions would be great!
I can relate as I waited and waited for the perfect second hand patrol to come along and it actually didnt (until I went and bought one). I started with a budget of 5K, which became 10K, 15K and 20K as the wait ticked along. I looked at TDs, RDs, TBs and eventually got sick of going to look at something that was "clean as" but when you get there had a fist sized rust hole in a guard or something.

If something was to happen to my current Patrol and I had to replace it, I wouldnt want to spend more than 15K in hindsight buying new. 10K I would pay out the arse for the cleanest, mintest turbo TD42 GQ I could find, an RD28t GU, or a petrol GU. I'd also look for GU and GQ utes. I wouldnt mind a petrol GQ either.

Non patrol, (I'm gunna get flamed) for under 10K I'd buy a 2.8D SAF Hilux.
Around 10K a 60 series turbo diesel
I've never liked the 105 and 80 series... epitome of 1990s jellymold styling IMO for the benefit of a less reliable engine and weaker front diff than the 60.
Old 17-03-2017, 04:23 PM

What about a GQ on gas? Might be more affordable. I love mine runs like a dream couldn't be happier. I will be also keeping it forever as it's part of the family now.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
Old 17-03-2017, 07:26 PM

Garage

Thanks sim, I'll flick ya a message as I'm open to a lot of things at the moment.

Someone before mentioned a Pajero, now I can see the value for money in one but similar to the cruiser issue I have is my pride. I've got a mate who's only ever had Pajeros and I have only ever smashed him for it! My pride is just worth a little more than a Pajero hahahha

Marko I think that's what will end up happening with me. I'm sitting on 10 at a stretch now (money floating in my mortgage from savings and sale of the last car) and I'm still saving some coin week by week so I'll probably end up with a larger budget and I'll end up paying some schmuck stupid money for his GQ or GU.

Thanks for your reply cs man but a petrol is certainly something I am not after. Only exception to this would be a manual 4.8 but these are hard to find unmolested.
Old 17-03-2017, 09:29 PM

Garage

If she's gonna be a weekender, why not buy a GU with busted engine, and put the change towards an engine conversion? Sure the change won't cover the whole lot, but surely enough for a decent start.
If it's not gonna be your daily driver and don't need it on the road right now, that could be a good option.
1998 GU ST RD28 #1034

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/membe...an-owner-93346
Old 17-03-2017, 09:58 PM

Garage

Yeah mate could be one but i dont really wanna be doing major engine work like that anymore. It always ends in tears for me!!