If not a Patrol? - Page 2 - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > General Patrol Forums > Buying a Nissan Patrol

Patrol4x4.com is the premier Nissan Patrol Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17-03-2017, 11:13 PM
Part Of The Furniture Round Here

Garage

I thought along same idea.
Buy 4.5 gu then put a td into it.
But wanted something i could just jump and drive.
And ended with a 3ltr

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Expect the best, plan for the worst, and prepare to be surprised.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-03-2017, 08:54 AM

Garage

If I was looking in that price range, I would look for a GU with a blown 3lt motor for as cheap as possible. I know one guy who got a GU2 for $3k with a totally blown motor. Then paid $8k for LS1 motor and the result was incredible.

My Rig My Life

Nissan 4x4 Club Vic
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 20-03-2017, 03:32 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba11 View Post
Thanks sim, I'll flick ya a message as I'm open to a lot of things at the moment.

Marko I think that's what will end up happening with me. I'm sitting on 10 at a stretch now (money floating in my mortgage from savings and sale of the last car) and I'm still saving some coin week by week so I'll probably end up with a larger budget and I'll end up paying some schmuck stupid money for his GQ or GU.

Thanks for your reply cs man but a petrol is certainly something I am not after. Only exception to this would be a manual 4.8 but these are hard to find unmolested.
This is why I try not to smash my mates that dont drive Nissans too much.

The second you do, it'll crap out on ya. A story goes like this:
One pair of brothers I was mates with were toyota die hards. They'd bag out anything that wasnt toyota to the point they'd see a GQ drive down the road and say "whens your chassis gunna snap mate" (fully believing that the chassis just snap for no reason too).

Anywho, One day we ended up walking because of one of these boys hiluxes breaking. Its hard not to be smug in a situation like that. I've since actually ended that friendship due a disagreement over financial reward (friend****?) and only a few months later, realised what a bore it was to hang out with the "truly faithful". I guess it goes both ways.

The irony was they'd not know what a nissan or mitsubishi was like to own, because the whole family only ever owned various toyotas....

Back to Patrols:

Yeah, my mate paid 8K for a minty 3.0. Bargain of the century. Great on fuel, goes well enough for a diesel wagon.
I dont like the sound of the ZDs compared to the old 6s but they are hard to argue with for the money. I was a bit over the limit yesterday so I had my mate drive (who normally drives a non intercooled TD42t) and he reckons he'd have a 3.0 any day.

Not a fair comparison though, I cant get him to spend a cent on his TD. I wouldn't rule the ZD out if I were you. They are great.

Last edited by Marko_SJ; 20-03-2017 at 03:39 PM. Reason: run on sentences galore.

Old 20-03-2017, 08:50 PM

Garage

Thanks marko, maybe I'm so against zds because I know so little about them. The whole Dawes and needle valve setup seems like a lot of reading!!

I for sure won't be able to afford a crd so it leaves me with Di, the supposedly less reliable of the two
Old 21-03-2017, 08:37 PM

Garage

Quote:
I for sure won't be able to afford a crd so it leaves me with Di, the supposedly less reliable of the two
Whhaaaaaaaaaaatttttttttttt??????????????? Less reliable!!!. Lol.

I think they're a bit hit and miss like any car. I've driven mine like I stole it since I've had it, and she's still all apples.
Old 21-03-2017, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Thanks marko, maybe I'm so against zds because I know so little about them. The whole Dawes and needle valve setup seems like a lot of reading!!

Could you get a 2005 or 2006 di for that money? If well maintained I wouldn't hesitate to get one. Even a 2007 crd is a decade old now, you might get one cheap.
Old 21-03-2017, 08:53 PM

Garage

Thanks guys I'll add it to the maybe list!

I suppose I have to be open!
Old 24-03-2017, 07:09 AM
"Toxic Personality"

Garage

in answer to the question.... "if not a patrol, then what?", have you looked at a 4.2diesel 105 series?
can get a great practical rig there for under 10k every day.....

No it wont be a 1hdfte, but not much wrong with the 1hz.....
Old 24-03-2017, 07:10 PM

Garage

Thanks jacket, added them to cars to search for on gumtree. Seems to be a little above my price range at the moment. But not far off.