Looking at 98 GU 2.8 TD - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > General Patrol Forums > Buying a Nissan Patrol

Patrol4x4.com is the premier Nissan Patrol Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30-10-2016, 10:27 AM

Post Looking at 98 GU 2.8 TD

Looking at buying a 98 GU patrol 2.8 TD and wanted some opinions.
  • Has been serviced every 5000km
  • Has had injectors, clutch and turbo replaced in 2015
  • Has a spare injector pump and rebuild kit and a spare turbo for rebuild
  • Has 3" exhaust, upgraded intake pipe, Steinbauer Diesel chip and a manual boost controller and tuned by a diesel service shop for 14 psi.
  • Previous owner has fixed the head and head gasket in 2010
  • Current owner hasn't had any overheating issues since he bought it in 2013.
  • Has ECUTALK, allowing temps to be monitored
  • Slight leak from sump gasket, but not enough apparently to notice a loss between oil changes.
Has been fully kitted out with off road gear and looks mint from online. I'm heading in to have a look this afternoon.

What are your thoughts on this vehicle?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30-10-2016, 11:34 PM

Sounds like all the hard work's been done.
If I was looking, I'd be keen to see receipts for the work completed (also for warranty if anything goes wrong).
How many kms on the RD28? What's the asking price?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 31-10-2016, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris GU View Post
Sounds like all the hard work's been done.
If I was looking, I'd be keen to see receipts for the work completed (also for warranty if anything goes wrong).
How many kms on the RD28? What's the asking price?
Yeah, I'll have to enquire about the receipts. It seemed to drive well, but being a bit of a newbie, I wasn't exactly sure what to expect. I know he did the turbo himself, but the clutch and injectors were done by a workshop.

The RD has 275,000 km, which I'm a little worried about, though I've heard turbo diesels just keep on going. He's asking $10,000 AU.

Old 02-11-2016, 01:37 PM

Basic things I look for, assuming the owner's obliging:

* Condition of the intercooler fins, pull off one of the intercooler hoses to check how much oil is going through it
* Condition of the radiator fins, coolant colour
* Before driving, if the car's been sitting, check the oil level and colour
* Run the engine for 20 minutes by going for a drive, then check for oil/fluid leaks around the engine bay/diffs/radiator/bushes/the turbo/the line that feeds from the turbo to the sump/anywhere else a gasket exists
* How much smoke is coming out the tailpipe, and what colour is it (good to have a following driver with you for this)
* Get on a flat road and accelerate evenly, pay attention to whether it revs smoothly through the rev range
* Any noises that sound out of the ordinary, like clunking when performing a full-lock turn or going up a gutter
* Does it shift gears without crunching, check 4H/L on some dirt patches (pay attention to the automatically locking hubs, if it has them)
* Rust on doors/gutters/radiator support/chasis, check any areas that look like they've had a respray
* Check for water pooling around the front foot wells
* Check the ECUTalk for error codes

It's not exhaustive but that's what I'd take notice of when looking at someone else's 4WD. I usually take it for a drive and stop somewhere to do this stuff, to me it feels weird to do it in front of the owner. Then when I get back, I ask any questions I have.

The turbo diesels are supposed to keep on going but only if they're maintained and you don't get surprises. I do a 5,000 km service but it didn't stop the timing belt tensioner from failing recently. That meant a new head on my RD28 + some other work, for a total just over $7k. When things break on diesels, they cost a lot.

With all the work you listed in the first post, $10k sounds reasonable to me. I paid $8500 two years and don't have a new turbo, injectors, or clutch + spare injector pump.