Need help choosing a diesel! - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > General Patrol Forums > Buying a Nissan Patrol

Patrol4x4.com is the premier Nissan Patrol Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-12-2016, 06:10 PM

Default Need help choosing a diesel!

Hi guys, I've been dwelling over the thought of getting a patrol for a few months now and the time has finally come! I've sold my Subaru Forester, which was a great car, so it's time to get serious!!!

I'm definitely keen on a diesel, but there's so much info and opinions out there so I need some help. It's not going to be my daily, I have a work car for that, so I'll only be driving it on the weekends. I love camping and would love to get off road a fair bit. The forester was great but it couldn't get you that far off the gravel roads.

I'm looking at GQs but there's not a hell of a lot out there at the moment, probably due to the fact its Christmas. I'd be keen on getting a grandpa spec and starting from scratch but if I can find one with basic mods which hasn't been thrashed that would be good. How many Kms should I be looking for? Do I need to turbo it?

Then there's the CRD... I've read the big post on one of the forums about how the later CRDs are pretty good. I'd be open to the idea, and the thought of a newer, more comfortable care is appealing, especially after owning a Forester which was super comfortable.

Anyway, I look forward into hearing some of your thoughts on this and can't wait to find the right Patrol!

Phil
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23-12-2016, 07:36 PM
Part Of The Furniture Round Here

if your only driving it on wknds why do you only want a diesel?
grab ya self a grandad spec gu tb48 and your done. 12-15k ish
dont be brainwashed by diesel.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 23-12-2016, 07:38 PM

If you are not planning on doing high mileage, get a 4.8 petrol that's never been on gas.

That's all.

Old 23-12-2016, 07:41 PM

Or find a Patrol that has an LS conversion which has been properly done.
Old 25-12-2016, 11:20 AM

Garage

TD42,NO electronic gizmos to fail out in the bush,simple,rugged,[bit like me] don't need a

turbo but will love one,we have 3 in the family,can't afford to fuel a petrol,and you can buy

diesel anywhere in the bush.Look for rust in the roof and firewall,don't fall for the "oh that's

just surface rust" line no, that's coming out from inside! that's my sixpence,good hunting

Cheers,G.
Old 26-12-2016, 08:32 AM

Another vote for petrol. If only a weekend warrior its is all you need. GQ 4.2 diesel patrols with no rust are getting thin on the ground.

Went to the gulf years ago in my diesel, stopped at Georgetown to refuel, No diesel available (waiting on next tanker). Plenty of petrol. Had to camp overnight until the tanker turned up.

Motor bikes, quad bikes, chainsaws, small gensets are all used in the bush, hence plenty of unleaded.
Old 26-12-2016, 02:43 PM

Yeah weekend only get a petrol.
Old 28-12-2016, 05:20 AM

2 different ends of the scale there mate. GQ 4.2 is a tough, noisy old tractor, reliable if its been well looked after and easy to fix. Hard to find one in good condition with lower km (which means nothing if its been regularly serviced). Expect to pay anywhere between 5-10k depending on condition and existing mods.

A later model CRD will be quicker, comfier, quieter, alot more on the market which means you can shop around. Expect to pay alot more though.

Depends what you want to do with it and how often you'll drive it, why pay 20k for a newer model that you'll drive once or twice per month just to get out bush, buy the old clacker especially if you're going to start trying harder tracks, parts and panels are cheap
Old 28-12-2016, 06:43 AM

Old 28-12-2016, 05:59 PM

A few votes for the 4.8, that's interesting. I guess the only way to really decide is to test drive them all! Unfortunately there's not too much out there at this time of the year, I guess everyone is out using them. I guess I'm leaning towards the TD42s cause a few of my mates have them and are pretty handy with engines if things go wrong for any reason. I think CRDs are out of the question and budget for me after seeing what's available. I'll keep an open mind about the 4.8 though!
Old 29-12-2016, 09:54 AM

If you are after a GQ diesel then a TD42 is the only choice. Do not buy a 2.8. If it has not already been turboed then yes, you need to do it or you will be unhappy with the vehicle. Anything less than 300k on the clock would be good, just get a compression check done before you commit to the car.

As the others have said, don't overlook the petrols if your mileage will be low. The TB48 in particular is good value. It is the only engine in stock form that gives a Patrol a reasonable level of performance and it will be $10k cheaper than a comparable TD42T. It will also be a much younger vehicle than a typical GQ.