Roof Baskets - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > Caravaning, Camping and Equipment > Camping and Caravaning Equipment

Patrol4x4.com is the premier Nissan Patrol Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2017, 12:51 PM
--- The Rodfather ---

Thanked 5,136 Times in 3,631 Posts
Garage
Default Roof Baskets

Now that I no longer have my camper and have changed the way I tour, going back to a tent for those times its needed, I am looking for better storage options while on the road. With the impending Esperance trip in mind I want to utilise the room on my Rhino Flat Plain Rack which currently only has 2.5m awning on one side and Rod tube on the other. I'm not sure I want a pod, they are expensive and I think my money can be better spent. The back of the truck with cage moved behind front seats and the passenger seats folded down, will be full of fridges, food, clothes, cooking equip, etc, so I'm thinking a half roof basket, the 2 sizes I'm looking at are 1245 x 940 or 1340 x 1070 which I can sit across the back of the rack and can be accessed from my rear ladder, I have an unused heavy duty vinyl roof rack cover in the shed somewhere I've had for years and I'm sure I can doctor it to make a weatherproof cell for the tent live in while up there.

I don't and never have liked loading the roof to the hilt, so for me it would be my new tent and components in 3 separate bags and my MaxTrax.

Any comments on roof basket experience would be appreciated, particularly interested in attachment mechanisms on rough roads etc. A brief shop around (not on the net) indicates prices vary between 180 and 230 bucks for the above in genuine rhino rack baskets.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Forgot to add, whatever goes up there can't stay permanent as with a 3" lift and the platform rack, the rack just grazes the rubber strip on the bottom of rolladoor after I adjusted it as high as it will go.......

My Album
My Build
My Channel
ZD30DI Tech Archives
NADS, So You Bought a ZD30DI
http://powercurve.com.au/
My Dawes valve works fine! Where did I go wrong? .

Domestic Violence Has No Excuse, Rugby League Players Are Not Above The Law.

Last edited by geeyoutoo; 12-04-2017 at 01:26 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-04-2017, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeyoutoo View Post
I have an unused heavy duty vinyl roof rack cover in the shed somewhere I've had for years and I'm sure I can doctor it

EDIT: Forgot to add, whatever goes up there can't stay permanent
What about doctoring it into a roof bag?
Like you, I run a flat rack for height reasons. I am looking at going to tassie for 3 weeks next summer and am thinking all the overflow items can go into a vinyl bag on the roof. easy enough to install and remove and better yet its light and folds up to store easily.
I am going to get several strips sewn on the inside so that I can use to tie items to the bag to minimise movement and vibration wear and tear.
just an idea
4.8 Club member #142
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 13-04-2017, 09:37 PM
--- The Rodfather ---

Garage

Yes, worth a thought, I'll find it and spread it out for a look.

My Album
My Build
My Channel
ZD30DI Tech Archives

Old 14-04-2017, 07:16 PM
Part Of The Furniture Round Here

Seeing as I have a GQ, my roof rack is clamped onto the roof gutter as they used to do in the old days. So not a basket as such.

But, it has a mesh floor like a security door or screen on your house. This is fantastic for the hooks on ratchet straps. Nothing has ever moved when strapped down. And you can walk on it easily.

Work in progress!
Old 14-04-2017, 07:34 PM
--- The Rodfather ---

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQshayne View Post
Seeing as I have a GQ, my roof rack is clamped onto the roof gutter as they used to do in the old days. So not a basket as such.

But, it has a mesh floor like a security door or screen on your house. This is fantastic for the hooks on ratchet straps. Nothing has ever moved when strapped down. And you can walk on it easily.
The idea of mounting a half basket (around 120mm deep) on my flat plain rack was to basically load, contain and secure very quickly in a confined space just as you have described, I can walk on my flat plain rack as well, put chairs up there to sit on.

My Album
My Build
My Channel
ZD30DI Tech Archives

Old 18-04-2017, 10:29 AM
Here To Be Entertained

Thanked 3,654 Times in 2,524 Posts
Garage

Just putting it out there, But I have a MSA tourer pack you can borrow for the trip if you like.
It's the 1200mm x 1200mm model I think.

Old 18-04-2017, 10:37 AM
--- The Rodfather ---

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUEY View Post
Just putting it out there, But I have a MSA tourer pack you can borrow for the trip if you like.
It's the 1200mm x 1200mm model I think.
Thanks mate, appreciate that, but I have the flat plain rack permanently on the roof and once Pam retires , we will be doing a lot more touring so I need to get myself better setup post Camper Trailer.

Seriously considering the 1340 x 1070 x 125 Rhino basket, going over to JTS at Kunda Park for a quick chat today.

My Album
My Build
My Channel
ZD30DI Tech Archives

Old 18-04-2017, 10:54 AM
Here To Be Entertained

Thanked 3,654 Times in 2,524 Posts
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeyoutoo View Post
Thanks mate, appreciate that, but I have the flat plain rack permanently on the roof and once Pam retires , we will be doing a lot more touring so I need to get myself better setup post Camper Trailer.

Seriously considering the 1340 x 1070 x 125 Rhino basket, going over to JTS at Kunda Park for a quick chat today.
No worries. They are good and waterproof, but unless pretty well loaded they can flap around a bit.
If it is stuff that getting wet isn't really an issue, the basket is probably an easier option
Old 22-04-2017, 11:03 AM

Thanked 2,429 Times in 1,847 Posts

Some baskets whistle like a bastard also.

Foo
Old 22-04-2017, 11:24 AM
--- The Rodfather ---

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo View Post
Some baskets whistle like a bastard also.

Foo
True, but this will be attached directly against the Pioneer rack and will very rarely ever be run empty, especially at speed, as the truck will not fit in the garage with it on and when I'm away it will have the tent etc in it encased in a waterproof covering.

My Album
My Build
My Channel
ZD30DI Tech Archives

Old 22-04-2017, 03:03 PM

Thanked 1,248 Times in 962 Posts

Ross,
I also have a Michelle's Sacks roof bag which is the older heavy canvas type and doesn't flap much. I had a basket also which I cut the front rail down and angled the front sides so I could still load longer items through the basket, but found on the Pioneer platform I could strap the bag directly down.

If you have an awning one side, rod tube the other side, do these give you any side holding height or sit low, flat with the rack. Reason I ask is that I'm sure I saw sides and back rails that can be added to the track slots in the Pioneer rack.

https://www.ebay.com.au/p/?iid=181872549243&&&chn=ps

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Rhino-Roo...3D181872549243

GU4, But it is not going anywhere til we rebuild it better, stronger, maybe even a little faster.
Old 22-04-2017, 03:18 PM
--- The Rodfather ---

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by geordie4x4 View Post
Ross,
I also have a Michelle's Sacks roof bag which is the older heavy canvas type and doesn't flap much. I had a basket also which I cut the front rail down and angled the front sides so I could still load longer items through the basket, but found on the Pioneer platform I could strap the bag directly down.

If you have an awning one side, rod tube the other side, do these give you any side holding height or sit low, flat with the rack. Reason I ask is that I'm sure I saw sides and back rails that can be added to the track slots in the Pioneer rack.
Absolutely available but my issue is the height, I had to make up my own special brackets to mount the awning as it could be no higher than the pioneer and the awning also had to clear the door opening (see pic below), by making the awning exactly the same height as the pioneer I then have around 10mm clearance to the door opening. If I fitted the front and side rails I would need to take them on and off, with the basket it fits very simply and I can access it from my rear ladder.

Roof Rack.jpg

My Album
My Build
My Channel
ZD30DI Tech Archives

Old 22-04-2017, 03:27 PM

Thanked 1,248 Times in 962 Posts

Looks like you need airbag suspension.

Would the side rail things be any more effort to remove than a basket, I do suppose they will have a few more fiddly track fittings but if they are easy to unscrew, it may be a compact option for easy storage compared to a basket. I think I still have an older Rhino steel basket hanging in the shed somewhere.

GU4, But it is not going anywhere til we rebuild it better, stronger, maybe even a little faster.