Roof top tents - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > Caravaning, Camping and Equipment > Camping and Caravaning Equipment

Patrol4x4.com is the premier Nissan Patrol Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2014, 08:04 AM

Garage
Default Roof top tents

I'm not sure if there is a camping dedicated subforum here so ill ask here.

What roof top tent do you guys have and do you rate them?

I'm considering a couple.

Gordigear
Julelife4x4 mammoth
roosystem
tigerz11
G-Camp (ebay one) - friend has one and it suits him.

Any others I've missed besides arb and tjm?

if you highly recommend one. Why?

Cheers

Sent from my XT905 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2014, 11:25 AM

I have recently done this exercise as I am in the market for one myself.

If money is no problem for you then look at Howling Moon or Hannibal. There is another Brizzy based mob too about the same, but I can't remember the name. Top stuff but expensive.

Cheap in terms of quality is how I would describe (almost) everything else - most of them are almost identical, ARB, TJM, Roo, etc etc. Prices vary a lot for pretty much the same thing, but I was not happy with the quality of manufacture.

I have found one exception so far. Gordigear. I have not seen it with my own eyes, but my dad had a look at one for me and reckons it is better made than the cheap stuff. It is a bit more expensive then the $1000 cheap stuff, but it seems it is good value considering it is still cheaper than ARB or TJM.

I am yet to inspect it myself but my old man is pretty reliable with his opinion, so it looks like this is what I will be getting when the time comes.

Work in progress!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-05-2014, 11:39 AM

Garage

I just did some research on those Hannibal ones earlier, the $2+ mark is bit over my (small) budget.

I saw a couple of videos of the Gordigear this morning and they seemed pretty good and not too expensive. I was hoping for under the 1k mark (with annex), but if the quality is worth the extra, may consider one of them.

That being said, the Explorer + annex is only $1190. $100 more than Roosystems.

Old 08-05-2014, 12:42 PM

Had 2....
both did this in the wind
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0DElL1Faiw

Tigerz11 and a a South African one..

I'll take a punt and say that the Gordigear RTT is the same as the rest.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-05-2014, 01:02 PM

Garage

Unsure what's wrong with that? Just looked like its flapping a bit? doesn't every tent flap a bit?

Old 08-05-2014, 01:42 PM

You must fall into a coma when you sleep?
It's even louder when you are in it. The whole tent shakes.

They are awesome in still weather, terrible in any wind over about 10 knots.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:01 PM
Part Of The Furniture Round Here

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to dbsep

RV1 made by Oz tent. My kids now prep the tent in 30 seconds and it will fold down with the mattress inside and bedding. Just buy a roof top tent cover with the built in straps (tentco za) or any roof top tent cover they cost about 50 usd and your mobile.

How you secure it is so simple. Each corner of the roof top tent has metal rings. These are used in the roof rack or support frame to secure it down. You just make some backing plates Since moving over to the RV1 its dramatically changed rig up times to minutes rather then a hour. Me and wife don't argue anymore about holding poles and guide ropes. Now were free to enjoy the area we are visiting.

Filed tested: 2 adults, 2 children. We were home in April and were camping for 5 days. Unlucky for us we got the tail end of a typhoon on the east coast of the Philippines. 3 days it blasted us and not a drop of water in the tent. The tent was bowing at one point but it held in with out any issues. I will never buy anything else but I may in the future got to the RV2 or 3 but for now im staying put on the RV1.

If I could have a beer with one person I would have a beer with the person who engineered this tent.

Upgrade we did: Our tent stays unfolded so legs A and B remain out. To make it super quicker I fitted 865mm gas struts to inside the tent. Once the kids remove the roof top tent cover and anything else I have stacked on the tent they release a latch and the Oz tent open on its own with out any human. To fold it down it just a quick pull on a nice rope and once its over TDC it then falls down slowly under its own weight.

Since bringing this product to the Philippines last year I sell 2 RV1's every 8 weeks at landed cost to other PHP patrol club members. All of them just laugh at how easy it is.

Last edited by dbsep; 08-05-2014 at 02:24 PM.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsep View Post
RV1 made by Oz tent. My kids now prep the tent in 30 seconds and it will fold down and with the mattress inside and bedding. Just buy a roof top tent cover with the built in straps (tentco za) or any roof top tent cover they cost about 50 usd.

How you secure it is so simple. Each corner of the roof top tent has metal rings. These are used in the roof rack or support frame to secure it down. Since moving over to RV1 its changed rig up times to minutes rather then a hour.
Do you have any pictures of the cover ?
Old 08-05-2014, 02:09 PM

Garage

hey guys..
i got a featherlite rtt. and i wish i bought a different brand. for around $1600 it wasnt worth it.
the tent itself is good condition but from what i can tell its the same as the rest.. the ladder feels flimsy under my weight and the little bolts that keep it attached to the base came off one day, lucky it was while i was installing a led strip inside so i was in the shed.. the mattress is very thin and hard. so now i carry another rolled up mattress topper in the car as well as my quilt.
but the only positive thing about these tents is that they are lighter ( around 30kg i think ) and they are a lower profile when folded up.. so less drag when driving.. well thats my 2 cents worth ( thats all i have left after this thing,, hahah )
Old 08-05-2014, 02:28 PM

Garage

I've gt a g camp one.
Only used once but seemed ok, fairly warm with doors on top.
Mine will only get used handful of times a year at most so couldn't see point in paying out big, plus mines bolted to a trailer not car.
Great company to deal with too considering I live in WA

Expect the best, plan for the worst, and prepare to be surprised.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:35 PM

Garage

Hard shell are the way to go. Thicker mattress if you want. Keep all your bedding, doona, and pj's, books, sextoys and gear up there. Stays dry. Aerodynamic. Lighter. 10 secs to put up. 30 secs to pack up. If you need somewhere to get changed, get a dunny tent. And most people have an awning on their cars nowadays to live under.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:40 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to dbsep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Up View Post
Do you have any pictures of the cover ?

posted now: Supplier is tentco.za its the standard roof cover for all roof top tents. It has built in strap and secure lock down straps that I forgot to buy so I had to use the black straps.

Home

I shall be at Tentco in Pretoria (south africa) today so if you have any questions you can post it here. I shall check online in few hours and reply if you need photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (53.9 KB, 212 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (38.9 KB, 212 views)
Old 08-05-2014, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty1970 View Post
Hard shell are the way to go. Thicker mattress if you want. Keep all your bedding, doona, and pj's, books, sextoys and gear up there. Stays dry. Aerodynamic. Lighter. 10 secs to put up. 30 secs to pack up. If you need somewhere to get changed, get a dunny tent. And most people have an awning on their cars nowadays to live under.
Ive been considering upgrading from the rtt I have now. My only concern is that it might be hotter due to less window space, do you find this to be the case or are they similar.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:00 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by landy View Post
You must fall into a coma when you sleep?
It's even louder when you are in it. The whole tent shakes.

They are awesome in still weather, terrible in any wind over about 10 knots.
Well, I can sleep in almost anything. My GF can sleep with my snoring so I guess so can she.

We camped on Fraser on the dunes in a dome tent. That wasn't too bad. I can't see it being any worse than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsep View Post
RV1 made by Oz tent. My kids now prep the tent in 30 seconds and it will fold down with the mattress inside and bedding. Just buy a roof top tent cover with the built in straps (tentco za) or any roof top tent cover they cost about 50 usd and your mobile.

How you secure it is so simple. Each corner of the roof top tent has metal rings. These are used in the roof rack or support frame to secure it down. You just make some backing plates Since moving over to the RV1 its dramatically changed rig up times to minutes rather then a hour. Me and wife don't argue anymore about holding poles and guide ropes. Now were free to enjoy the area we are visiting.

Filed tested: 2 adults, 2 children. We were home in April and were camping for 5 days. Unlucky for us we got the tail end of a typhoon on the east coast of the Philippines. 3 days it blasted us and not a drop of water in the tent. The tent was bowing at one point but it held in with out any issues. I will never buy anything else but I may in the future got to the RV2 or 3 but for now im staying put on the RV1.

If I could have a beer with one person I would have a beer with the person who engineered this tent.

Upgrade we did: Our tent stays unfolded so legs A and B remain out. To make it super quicker I fitted 865mm gas struts to inside the tent. Once the kids remove the roof top tent cover and anything else I have stacked on the tent they release a latch and the Oz tent open on its own with out any human. To fold it down it just a quick pull on a nice rope and once its over TDC it then falls down slowly under its own weight.

Since bringing this product to the Philippines last year I sell 2 RV1's every 8 weeks at landed cost to other PHP patrol club members. All of them just laugh at how easy it is.
I've considered those, but I'm looking more for a RTT, something off the ground. Already had a scare with a dingo (own fault), but plan on doing cape down the track and don't want to have to worry about any unwelcome visitors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavensent View Post
I've gt a g camp one.
Only used once but seemed ok, fairly warm with doors on top.
Mine will only get used handful of times a year at most so couldn't see point in paying out big, plus mines bolted to a trailer not car.
Great company to deal with too considering I live in WA
My Friend took his across Australia and still going strong. I'm not not overly satisfied with the annex for it.

That being said, I'd be happy with it.. just gotta please the other one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty1970 View Post
Price is a bit more without any extras or the option for extras even.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:22 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunez View Post
I'm not sure if there is a camping dedicated subforum here so ill ask here.

What roof top tent do you guys have and do you rate them?

I'm considering a couple.

Gordigear
Julelife4x4 mammoth
roosystem
tigerz11
G-Camp (ebay one) - friend has one and it suits him.

Any others I've missed besides arb and tjm?

if you highly recommend one. Why?

Cheers

Mate, my inlaws bought a Tigerz11 one for the top of their GU Ute when we went up the cape last august, they spent 6 weeks camping in it and didn't have any issues at all, easy to set up and put away and cheap - admittedly we didn't have any wet weather to test it though.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:29 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Up View Post
Ive been considering upgrading from the rtt I have now. My only concern is that it might be hotter due to less window space, do you find this to be the case or are they similar.
No issues with heat. no hotter than any tent in the sun really. It has 3 midgy screen window/doors. Heaps of crossflow breeze. I've never been up there during the day. I go up, sleep and get up in the morning. No issues packing up wet either.

As for extras?? With the convenience of the extra storage area, set up and pack up time, thicker mattress, no wet pack up and less weight. Who cares about a few hundred more?? I know which I prefer. And With the foxwing, it's a great setup if I don't want to take the camper.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQshayne View Post
I have recently done this exercise as I am in the market for one myself.

If money is no problem for you then look at Howling Moon or Hannibal. There is another Brizzy based mob too about the same, but I can't remember the name. Top stuff but expensive. ...
Aussie Traveller - Mobile Room. As the man says - top stuff. Mine's 15 years old and still going strong.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00475.jpg (81.2 KB, 201 views)

=========================================

'92 GQ, 4.2 diesel, auto, after-market turbo &
intercooler, rock-crawler TC, lockers, etc, etc.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:13 PM

Hi Nunez,

I bought an Austrack Rooftop Tent from Hervey Bay QLD a couple of years back for a trip up to the Cape. I cannot fault it i believe they are a little over the $1k mark now, it had plenty of room for me and my partner and the matress is around 50-60mm which was comfortable.
They did a good deal on the side awning as well.
Hope this helps!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP0627.jpg (99.2 KB, 198 views)
Old 08-05-2014, 08:15 PM
Currently in PAD rehab

Thanked 3,879 Times in 3,121 Posts
Garage

I need some new ideas for how to attach the RTT to my roof rack. Mine has the standard channel and wedge type arrangements like on the bottom of the arb Simpson 3.

I find it a pain in the butt to line everything up when mounting it.

Has anyone done anything clever?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Codename ZedDee!
Old 17-07-2015, 02:03 AM

POST DIG!!

Hey guys i am chasing a quality roof top tent to do a trip around the NT and WA, we will be going in the dry season but id like to still be able to use it when i go away back at home in winter so waterproofing is vital!

I have been really leaning towards a Gordi Gear tent they seem to have a lot of little features that a few of the others don't have. One of the major ones being a separate canvas rim that runs between the mattress and the outside canvas so that moisture doesn't get drawn into the mattress from outside. I think this is a major positive. Does everyone rate the ARB in the same boat as the tigerz11 or kings? I know they are a lot cheaper but the seams are prone to leaking and I'm under the impression that the telescopic ladders are no good as they can jam up with dirt..

I will also be chasing an annexe, when they are mounted on facing backwards do the ladders get in the way of the barn doors? Is their something i should look out for?