Roof top tents - Page 2 - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > Caravaning, Camping and Equipment > Camping and Caravaning Equipment

Patrol4x4.com is the premier Nissan Patrol Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17-07-2015, 07:44 AM

My son recently purchased a Gordigear Roof top tent second hand. Excellent product and very well made. The double stiching seems very well done. He's used it many times and says he's very happy with it. Worth concidering IMO.

Bazza
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17-07-2015, 07:47 AM
Part Of The Furniture Round Here

The ladder doesn't get in the way of the doors, but the annex is a pita if the tent opens to the back.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 17-07-2015, 04:38 PM

I was planning on having the tent opening towards the back that if it rains we can still cook in the tent with access to the rear doors. What exactly was the problem? Do the doors not open wide enough to clear the tent?

Old 17-07-2015, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanc View Post
I was planning on having the tent opening towards the back that if it rains we can still cook in the tent with access to the rear doors. What exactly was the problem? Do the doors not open wide enough to clear the tent?
If you are not going to use an annex then it is best to have the tent open backwards as you suggested. If you are going to use the add on annex under the tent then they really get in the way behind the car. Much better to have the annex beside the car.

Cheers,
Old 18-07-2015, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overboard View Post
if you are not going to use an annex then it is best to have the tent open backwards as you suggested. If you are going to use the add on annex under the tent then they really get in the way behind the car. Much better to have the annex beside the car.

Cheers,
Old 19-03-2017, 04:30 PM

Garage

Post Dig!!

I read through this and other posts and thought I'd just pop a message here asking for some expert help!

Sorry to drag this up again, but I am seriously considering getting a Rooftop Tent, but my budget is rather small when considering the options out there (there are so many!!)

As we will be camping in some very Hot and Humid conditions which are prone to some pretty awesome storms and rain, the tent has to be cool and air well as well as keep absolutely all water out.

At the moment the Adventure Kings Roof Top Tent with Annex (TOURER) looks the best. Any of you guys use it? Do you know if it's any good, or if there's something else out there which is better even if it's a bit more in price?

I sincerely appreciate your help and advise in this regard!
Old 19-03-2017, 05:38 PM

Garage

Personally wouldnt touch adventure kings...but more out of pride as we know its cheaper but they go on about it being best in business etc.

I had a G-camp one through ebay.
Great customer service and product was great quality.
Id happily buy through them again

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Expect the best, plan for the worst, and prepare to be surprised.
The Following User Says Thank You to Heavensent For This Useful Post:
gab (19-03-2017)
Old 19-03-2017, 09:26 PM
..Hollywood..

Thanked 6,013 Times in 3,320 Posts
Garage

I have a Powerful 4x4 brand unit that was given to me by a mate about 7 years ago. I've only really used it a fair bit in the last few months, and while the brand was also regarded as a cheapy I have to say I'm pretty impressed with the quality. We used it on a horrendously windy night on the great Oz bite after Christmas and I thought it would be going in the bin, but much to my pleasant surprise there was not a stitch out of place by the morning.

I've also got the zip on annex thingy, which we only used for the first time a couple of weeks ago after also having it seven years (can't rush these things) and it worked great even flipping over the back, there is a huge zippered opening to access both the barn doors which was important as we cook out of the back when we don't take the camper.

Quite a few people have the Kings RTTs and while I have a couple of mates with them, I must say we haven't discussed them but I will ask when I next catch up.

Hopefully someone else here has one and can offer an opinion.

There's no point in me agreeing with you, then we'd both be wrong.
The Following User Says Thank You to Leethal For This Useful Post:
gab (21-03-2017)
Old 21-03-2017, 07:49 AM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leethal View Post
I have a Powerful 4x4 brand unit that was given to me by a mate about 7 years ago. I've only really used it a fair bit in the last few months, and while the brand was also regarded as a cheapy I have to say I'm pretty impressed with the quality. We used it on a horrendously windy night on the great Oz bite after Christmas and I thought it would be going in the bin, but much to my pleasant surprise there was not a stitch out of place by the morning.

I've also got the zip on annex thingy, which we only used for the first time a couple of weeks ago after also having it seven years (can't rush these things) and it worked great even flipping over the back, there is a huge zippered opening to access both the barn doors which was important as we cook out of the back when we don't take the camper.

Quite a few people have the Kings RTTs and while I have a couple of mates with them, I must say we haven't discussed them but I will ask when I next catch up.

Hopefully someone else here has one and can offer an opinion.
Thanks a lot Leethal. I'll look forward to hearing from you.

Current - 2009 Nissan Patrol Y61

Previous - 1996 Nissan Navara D21
Old 21-03-2017, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gab View Post
As we will be camping in some very Hot and Humid conditions which are prone to some pretty awesome storms and rain, the tent has to be cool and air well as well as keep absolutely all water out.
Make sure you get one that has a plastic membrane between the mattress and the canvas, or be prepared to add your own. Even good quality canvas gets damp to touch with constant rain. Any cloth or foam that touches the canvas will wick water through it and end up sodden. A 200mm wide strip of thin plastic right round the mattress except for the entry area will keep your bed dry in torrential rain.
The Following User Says Thank You to Overboard For This Useful Post:
gab (21-03-2017)
Old 21-03-2017, 08:47 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overboard View Post
Make sure you get one that has a plastic membrane between the mattress and the canvas, or be prepared to add your own. Even good quality canvas gets damp to touch with constant rain. Any cloth or foam that touches the canvas will wick water through it and end up sodden. A 200mm wide strip of thin plastic right round the mattress except for the entry area will keep your bed dry in torrential rain.
That's some solid advise!! Thanks Overboard!! I appreciate it!!

Current - 2009 Nissan Patrol Y61

Previous - 1996 Nissan Navara D21
Old 21-03-2017, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overboard View Post
I can't say that I have struck that problem with my eBay rtt in the past 5 yrs or so. Even when packed up wet there has been no transfer of moisture to the mattress or bedding. This includes some truly torrential periods of rain. My biggest gripe is when moisture freezes on the internal metal poles during the night then defrosts in the morning hitting you on the forehead, but that's a 1st world problem.

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk
Old 27-03-2017, 05:53 PM

Personal opinion of course, but we all do that.

I looked at the lot I reckon. Cheap end and top end like Hannibal and Howling Moon. If you can afford one of them they are great I think.

As for the rest, most of them are very similar. You can pay anything from $700 to $1400 for exactly the same tent with a different brand logo on it.

I have an Adventure Kings tent. Advertising BS aside, it is the best value for money I could find. It is one of the cheapest going, but the quality of it is better than some of the others.

Work in progress!
Old 27-03-2017, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQshayne View Post
Personal opinion of course, but we all do that.

I looked at the lot I reckon. Cheap end and top end like Hannibal and Howling Moon. If you can afford one of them they are great I think.

As for the rest, most of them are very similar. You can pay anything from $700 to $1400 for exactly the same tent with a different brand logo on it.

I have an Adventure Kings tent. Advertising BS aside, it is the best value for money I could find. It is one of the cheapest going, but the quality of it is better than some of the others.
A friend recently bought a kings rtt, I was quite impressed with the quality.

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk
Old 27-03-2017, 08:47 PM

I think it is better than some others that cost $500 more. Hard to fault in the lower end of the market. Compared to tents offered by some of the big 4WD parts suppliers, it was better, and cheaper.

Work in progress!
Old 07-06-2017, 07:30 PM
4x4 Addiction

Was looking at Darche RTT, but have seen Kings getting feedback and they are half the price and has a heavier canvas.
Old 08-06-2017, 02:34 PM

I bought an Eezi-Awn RT03 in 1997. Pretty expensive at the time at around $2000, but there were no cheapy Chinese ones back then. 20 years later the canvas, insect screens and wooden base are still perfect but the fly and cover are showing signs of age, mostly as a result of wind flapping, and some of the plastic tie downs for the cover have broken.

If you are planning on buying one and intend to use it in Northern Australia, make sure you get one with a fly for the roof, or it will get unbearably hot. Longest I've lived out of it is three weeks, and that was about a week too long for me. Setting it up and taking it down every day gets old after a while.

Jezza

02 GU3 Patrol 6L Auto
No replacement for displacement
Old 08-06-2017, 02:50 PM
Master Coalroller

Garage

X2 ^^^

EziAwn is the Rolls Royce of RTT's
Old 08-06-2017, 08:29 PM
4x4 Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezza944 View Post
Setting it up and taking it down every day gets old after a while.
That is why mine is getting fitted on trailer, can leave it set up and go 4x4ing!
Old 09-06-2017, 12:49 AM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sim79 View Post
That is why mine is getting fitted on trailer, can leave it set up and go 4x4ing!
Defs preferred mine on the trailer.
Miss it at times as much as i love the full camper tent.
Joys of building bigger family and needing more room.

Expect the best, plan for the worst, and prepare to be surprised.