Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

Dronus4x4 ZedDee Arduino Project

51K views 303 replies 43 participants last post by  gavcan01 
#1 ·
Ok so i quite often forget to document things that i do, and other times i am prepared (which results in a DIY here somewhere).

This project ive been thinking about for a while, and after doing lots of reading im ready to give it a crack.

Situation:
The ZD30 GU patrol lacks a gizmo that can easily load and control MAF voltages maps, and log environmental conditions.

Mission:
Build an Arduino based appliance that is easy to configure, replicate and evolve. The appliance will be able to load various "MAF MAPS" easily to give different economy or power conditions. It might also be able to display Boost Pressure, EGT Temperature at a minimum, and others in time. Initial thought are to have preset, easy to select modes such as "City", "Highway", "Offroad", and "towing". THe user will be able to preselect these using the touchpad.

Execution
I will be developing on the Arduino Uno R3. I will also be including an LCD screen and easy to use navigation buttons. I will have a few to play with so that different stages and releases can be delivered. I will also be using a variable voltage power source to emulate mafv. Various releases of code will be made available for free and i encourage people to help develop the product. Loading the maps is as easy as selecting the value. Editing the maps will be easy too - i know all cars are different and that is where tis project stands out in front of the "chips" that are common. Maybe also include a Glow plug timer.... TBA

Admin and Logistics
While i cant control what people do with this code, i cant be held responsible for what people do with it. Ill be checking any code enhancements that get sent to me, so please check to make sure you are running a release that ive released. I will be ordering more parts from time to time but unless i know you i wont be ordering bulk orders. Once i have a stable release i might consider building some units to sell (at cost plus postage). If you have the urge to pay more, please donate it to your favorite charity (cancer council would be good). I might look for people to test prototypes, let me know if you are interested.

Command and Sig
Initially ill run it from here however i might need to set up a SVN or CVS to hold releases and help uploading of code. Maybe on google drive, or one of the arduino project repositories.

So, the hardware is ordered and on its way, id like to hear from people who would like to contribute to writing / developing, or trialling prototypes.

Id also like to hear a wish list so i can build features that i haven't thought of :)

http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardUno

See less See more
#2 ·
Additional thoughts are to add a summer/winter function.

Having boost and EGT on the screen will be cool too.. but ill get the MAF stuff done first.

#3 ·
I've got a Leonardo that was bought for a project that a RPi has taking over, so I'm in. Happy to test the CRD side of things. I'd also like to see eventual development into MAP mapping (CRD is MAP dependant) and EGR trickery :D

I too have thought about doing it as MAF V mapping should be pretty simple to do with more ability than the Jaycar voltage modifier.

EDIT: Data logging to a SDCard (shield) would be handy. And my Ultragauge displays coolant temp, common rail pressure and air volume per second which can be useful.

#4 ·
Yep the JVDM is pretty cool but it lacks the ability to easily select a preset MAP, load new maps or review your current map without lots of button pushing.
Im probably going to start with a LCD display and navigation buttons - so the user experience is to just select the preset maps. Id love to evolve into a colour touch screen, but ill see what complications that incurs... might be annoying..

Will be good to see how it works on the CRD, i guess the foundation is similar as far as the MAF goes. I didnt have EGR on my list as mine is blocked, but i cant see why something couldnt be done there.. Ill have to read up to see if it uses PWM.

I still have a few RPi here which i think i was supposed to send to you, do you still want them? PM me your details and ill send away. I deleted all my PM's a while ago.

#9 ·
Thanks Timo_ed. I'll put it on the list.
As I'll be developing inside the house with a clean power supply you are right.. In the car it will be noisier. Perhaps I'll use a 9v battery to start with, and then look for some good supplies (unless you have found one already?)

#11 ·
A simple lm7805 voltage reg doesn't cut the mustard. I was running mine off the laptop power supply right up until the final stages and even using the car battery the engine wasn't running. So you can imagine how impressed I was when I started the engine after it was built and got noise. School boy error I guess. I actually shelved the project after that and haven't gone back to fix it. It wasn't my first fuk up so it was the straw that broke the camels back. It might be as simple as a few caps in the right places.

#14 ·
Yeah there are a few vregs about and hopefully I don't have to reinvent the wheel.

Was just adding a few of these to the list

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=400609976455&alt=web

It would be nice if this gear didn't cost 10x in local shops! However I am wary of the really cheap clones as they are known to have random issues (overheating and poor quality).

#15 ·
Dronus4x4 - love the boards - just ordered 4.

I currently using a resistor voltage deviders for monitoring dc power.

Re power supply - im using one of the dc dc invertors that are on ebay - it was around $5.00

I blew my first arduino and the attached ic2 boards due to running it off the vehicle battery. They are supposed to be able to run at 13 volts - but the regs get too hot and over heat.

As I have a carby gq - i dont have nads ets. Im using my board to monitor cabin temp, battery voltage, LPG fuel level and a estimated range to empty.

Looking at moitoing the head temp and water temp

I have mounted a 2 row lcd under the speedo clustor . (i also have auto dimming set up with the i2c lcd dispaly)

I found the green on black LCD are great better for dayllight reading then the blue on white

#16 ·
I'me lost, simpleton terms is it a gauge within a gauge ?????? Is this something for NADS or can any engine run it ??????????

#17 ·
An ardunio is a microprocessor on a very small board that supports a lot of interface's - displays, temp modules, memory modules, keyboards ethernet and usb interfaces etc.

Its up to the user to build and program a system to meet his requirements.

My unit

1 Reads the LPG gas level - - displays the lpg level - and a estmated distance based on the amount of LPG I use per 100km.

2. Reads a I2c serial temp module - ans displays the temp

3. reads the battery voltage and displays the voltage

The programming software is similar to Vb (visual basic or C++)

I do have the advantage as Im a radio tech and have done microprocessors at school

Reactions: jeffs5
#19 ·
I recently did a TD42ti conversion, the engine didn't come with the ecu to control the tcv valve (timing control valve). So i have been playing around with an arduino for the last few weeks trying to learn how to program it. So far I have it reading RPM from the zd ecu, reading boost from a map sensor and glow plug control via zd ecu.

I have made a p-channel mosfet circuit to drive the tcv solenoid. I only have a 1D map at the moment but once I work out how to do a 2D map, boost vs RPM it should run a lot better.

Learning to write the code has been a time consuming process.

#22 ·
Ok so I've been working on this and am getting there.

I'm looking at a couple ideas using different interfaces.

Also, using an sd card which has multiple maps preconfigured the owner can select which one to use by changing a single line at the top (or use a thumb wheel or tft touch screen).
The variance at each loadpoint can also be changed - depending which way I go (or there might be the choice) it could be via tft or removing the sd card and popping it in a pc to use notepad.

Also looking at an intercept plug so there will be no cutting of wires!

Staytuned

Padded from my LG-D855 using Padatalk.

#24 ·
Cool. I don't need anything that complex but I'd be really keen to see your code of you don't mind sharing it :) I can pm you my email eddy if you like :)

I am going to try and keep this as a jvdm alternative. Something that can just plug in and go, and if it needs to be removed it can be done simply.

I'll load up some predefined maps based on what people have been using in auto/manual/modified/stock combos which can be selected. Further fine tuning will need to be done by changing a simple text file on the sd card.
I'm also building a model that comes with a slim LCD colour touch screen that will show lots of stuff Thats going on (and allow the user to swap maps on the fly) and a 2 row LCD screen that just shows whats going on. These will run over a single i2c setup..

#30 ·
Guys, let me know if you need details on controlling the dimming of the back light on the I2C's serial LCDS.

I used the PWM output from the adrino to the link on the serail interface on the LCD

#31 ·
Very cool. I'll be looking at incorporating a tft screen so that would be handy.
I'll hopefully have my code up on Google drive soon..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.