GU home made drawer system - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > General Technical Discussions > DIY Modifications & Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17-05-2010, 01:30 AM

Default GU home made drawer system

G'day guys, I took some pictures today of my home made drawer system.
My goal was to optimise the use of space but keep the height below the rear windows.
Here is the end result:

The height of the system is below the top of the back seat and below the windows.

The sides are still open, I plan to cover these up one day as well.

A simple lock keeps the lid / bench top on.

To create some extra strength and stability, I made a fold out stand for the bench. See how it folds out when I drop the lid / bench top.

The bench top actually rests on the rear bar (through the fold out stand) and is strong enough for me (100KG) to stand on.

And there it is, a bench top, a fridge on the left and two drawers on the right.

The fridge is the 80L WAECO unit which is the only fridge that I could find that could fit beneath the windows. Even the WAECO 50L fridges are about 5-10 CM higher. Anyway, I am very happy with the extra capacity.

Bottom drawer holds all the tools, recovery gear, first aid kit, compressor, axe, saw, etc..

Top drawer holds the kitchen gear, food, etc... The picture reminds me that I still need to paint the lot to better protect the wood against water and moisture.

Last edited by aus.patrol; 17-05-2010 at 01:38 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17-05-2010, 01:37 AM

On the right is my pressurised water system with trigger nozzle.

The trigger nozzle is simply hanging in this gap.

The trigger nozzle is attached to a 6 Meter coil hose allowing me to do the dishes, take shower or even put out a camp fire away from the car.

The area on the right of the drawers is accessed through this hinged lid.

Under the lid you can see the coil hose and the 12V pump.

This "flap" at the top of the drawer unit is my "home made" fold away "cargo barrier".

It hinges on 3 hinges at the bottom and rests against the roof and the head rests of the back seat.

Here shown from the inside of the cabin.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 17-05-2010, 08:41 AM

Looks nice

What sort of pump are you using?

http://rufn.it/blog/
Old 17-05-2010, 10:48 AM

good work aus.patrol,
that's a very impressive system!

#199 White Patrol Club
Old 17-05-2010, 04:27 PM

The Pump is similar to this one on e-bay: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Water-Pressur...#ht_2731wt_940 I believe the "buy it now" price is about $80-$100 dollars.

I have to say though that the quality is questionable and in my case it broke 3 times in the first year. I believe it broke because of rigorous use with hot water and taking shower with a trigger nozzle. On/off,On/off for 30 minutes. The first 2 times I fixed it with a 'band aid', the third time I actually improved the inner workings so it didn't break again.
Old 25-05-2010, 09:06 PM

I had some questions about where I got the runners.. I got them of e-bay and they costed around a $80 - $100 for each set. Here is where you could look: http://shop.ebay.com.au/devon_annie/...&_trksid=p4340
Old 25-05-2010, 09:49 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by uneekwahn View Post
Looks nice

What sort of pump are you using?
i recently got 2 of these, one from ebay and one from here.

http://www.caravansplus.com.au/catal...a5193d1eacbb91

(caravanplus turned out tobe less expensive than ebay.)

these pumps have good pressure and stop quickly once flow is stopped ( i'm very happy and think they are tops)
kez
Old 25-05-2010, 10:59 PM

Default drawer runners

what type/size of screw /nut bolt did you use to attach the runners to the plywood sheeting?
Old 25-05-2010, 11:06 PM

Good looking setup there mate. Looks like good use of space in the design. Just watch u have enough air flow to the fridge, they like to breath a little. U probably alredy know but u can turn the fridge around and swap the hinges so u can access the control panel a little easier if u wanted to and still have the lid open on that side.
Old 26-05-2010, 09:36 AM

Hi David, I used counter sunk head M5 x 15 mm bolts with a large washer and cap nuts.

Thanks Luke, I've made sure the fridge has good flow on the side of the compressor / fan is. Because I've boxed up the front with the workbench, the fridge is actually better of in this reversed position. Also because I didn't want to have the power cord on the front. With regards to the control panel, I made the slide myself and it allows the fridge to come out completely so I can access it quite easily. Have had it for four years now, use it every fortnight and holiday, no hick-ups so far.

Hi Kez, that pump you found seems to be a pretty good alternative. I use my pump for taking showers with hot water and I found that it isn't really designed for it. The pump got so hot that the plastic holders for the brushes (cheap crap) in the electric motor deformed and it ceased. After 'fixing' it a few times I actually made up my own metal brush holders and had no problems ever since. Have you used it with HOT running water, and if so, how did it go?
Old 03-06-2010, 07:10 PM

Awsome job. The drop down drawer at the back is cool
Old 06-06-2010, 08:46 PM

The cargo barrier idea is good but no way legal or safe, what you want is a steel frame the same hight and widtg as your box that can be lifted out from behind the seat (so it slides up) and then pin it so it doesn't slide back down and maybe lock to the roof...

Just an idea, nice work tbough
Old 07-06-2010, 05:51 AM

Nice job, finally someone had made a draw system to accomodste the 80l fridge. Just wondering if your able to remove it if need to or is it too much work.

2" Lift , 43mm Foam Cells, KM2's, 80l Waeco, Safari snorkel, Blocked EGR, VDO Boost/ Pyro Gauge, 2.5" Freelflow Dump, DAWES/ Needle Valve, Provent 200 Oil catch can, Converted Hubs
Old 07-06-2010, 11:17 AM

G'day Shane, taking out the fridge is a matter of 60 seconds. It is simply tied with a single strap that goes all around the fridge. I just have to move the back seat forwards to access the strap, unclip it and done. Putting it back in will take 2 minutes as I have to position the strap back around the fridge. I only do it once a year or so to 'service' the fridge, e.g. vacuum clean around the compressor.

I actually choose the 80L WAECO especially because of its (low) height. All other (proper) fridges with a capacity greater then 40L are higher then this one and I didn't want the drawer system to be higher then the back seat or the rear windows.

G'day Frost. I hear your comments about the home made cargo barrier not being 'safe' or 'legal'. I don't know what the laws of our nanny state exactly say so you might in fact be right. With regards to safety and the law though, I think everything is relative. I've seen people drive around without cargo barrier and or with a cargo net which are probably 100% legal but not necessarily safe at all (depends what and how you pack). I guess that having something, even though perhaps illegal, is probably safer then having nothing (which might be legal). Your idea of a sliding steel frame is something I did consider, I just didn't have the means to knock that up myself, and I have my water tank in that location.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:01 PM

Hey aus.patrol,

I see, no worries mate, I personaly would use anything i wanted to get the job done like you have, Just thinking about your occupants if you had a head on, the force of all that moving forward would rip it off and send it through you cab, But It's a good idea, Maybe if you can get one knocked up by a mate or something later on, make it steel and fold the same with heavy duty hinges and pin it at the top with some latch system attached to the roof

I like the whole concept though, very cool
Old 23-06-2010, 04:43 PM

No worries mate. I hope one day I get to do it all over again when I have the money to do it properly. In the mean time, it serves its purpose.
Old 23-06-2010, 05:35 PM

looks great!
if i knew anything at all about making stuff thats not lego i would make a set like that
Been looking at Outback and Black Widow storage..$2200!!!!! wow if only i paid attention in woodwork at high school
damn
Old 24-06-2010, 07:45 PM

Very neat workmanship, top job Aus Patrol.
Old 25-07-2010, 09:01 PM

Thanks guys, by the way, I didn't mention it before, but even doing it myself, I still spend about $800 bucks on materials. Still quite a bit cheaper than most systems on the market.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:04 PM

Default My Home-Made Drawer Unit --- 2004 GU

Finally! My drawer unit is made and installed in my GU. I'm not a carpenter by any stretch; but it's amazing what you can attain if you hasten slowly. Spent hours and hours drawing & redrawing pages and pages of plans before I even started. Long story short ... its essentially made of 12mm construction ply and cost me $670.00 including drawer slides etc. On the reverse side of the drawer unit I have mounted a fire extinguisher in its own nook, and there is a separate drawer for my first aid kit and foot pump etc.

Have lots of pix and all-in-all, it took a couple of months doing an hour or two about two to three days per week. Just the side boxing to do now and then to fill it. Cheers.

P.S. --- It has been made for my 80Litre Waeco; hence the "bevelled" drawer above the Waeco nook so the lid can open when the slide is pulled out (it only comes out 660mm).

P.S.S. --- I have also now installed a 100mm high railing around the sides and back of the unit. The railing is made of square tube Aluminium and Qubelok connectors (they are great things to use).

Drawer 63.jpg

Last edited by kukla_micer; 04-04-2012 at 04:13 PM.

Tags
drawers, home made

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification