Oil Catch Can Filter Suggestions - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > General Technical Discussions > DIY Modifications & Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2010, 02:14 PM

Default Oil Catch Can Filter Suggestions

Picked up a calibre catch can from super cheap this weekend, looks like it will be a pretty easy installation on my zd30 powered Navara.

My delemma is what I'm going to use for filtration to separate oil & air.

I'm hoping to create something that will work along the lines of whats in this picture.

If anyone has any suggestions it would be great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coalescing_diagram.jpg (14.2 KB, 925 views)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2010, 02:44 PM

plenty of posts on building them.

depends on the design a bit, you need to be able to put the inlet away from the outlet. eg intake pipe going down mid way in the centre of the can. so there is no shortcut for gas to get around the filter.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:41 PM

I used a Calibre can and they are not the best shape to work with because of the shape of the top, the angled holes and the inlet and outlet are very close together. I used stainless steel wool (pot scrubber) and some material much like a scouring pad but its white. found it lying around at work.
Fuel bypass mod/ electric fuel pump
Dawes and Needle valves
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-01-2010, 07:48 PM

Have had a look at the catch can in aksniss's zd30 reference doc and it has given me some ideas for the 'calibre' catch can. I just need to get my hands on something along the lines of 2mm aluminium plate and a foam filter. Might take me a while to get into gear and get it done but i'll put up a pic when it's finished.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:55 PM

Ben005 dont worry re the foam filter but do get some aluminium plate 2 to 3 mm thick.

Measure the distance across the catch can so you will create two chambers with the inlet and the outlet.
Cut the plate to suit this dimension and also the depth of the catch can. Be carefull to allow for a "step up" if the catch can lid is raised otherwise the fumes will bypass the gauze pads.
From here do a cut in the bottom area about midway across the width, then bend it up.

This will create two chambers in and out and also support the pads you use.

Go to a 2 dollar shop, Sam's or whatever is in your area and get pot scrubbers about 10 to a pack and easy to work with.( and bloody cheap)

Place the reworked ally in the catch can, firm fit is better, then run a bead of Sikaflex on each side of the plate to secure it.

Allow to cure, then slightly pull apart your pot scrubbers to allow easy breathing and place in can, Dont pack them in too tight as you could start blowing oil seals (at a ridiculous level) if the can is packed too tight, about 1 and a half to 2 pads is fine.

Hook up your lines and away you go, enjoy an amazingly cleaner air intake system etc.

Change my pads every 5000km when I do my oil.

Hopefully the explanation makes sense.

Pete
Old 11-01-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peatbog View Post
Ben005 dont worry re the foam filter but do get some aluminium plate 2 to 3 mm thick.

Measure the distance across the catch can so you will create two chambers with the inlet and the outlet.
Cut the plate to suit this dimension and also the depth of the catch can. Be carefull to allow for a "step up" if the catch can lid is raised otherwise the fumes will bypass the gauze pads.
From here do a cut in the bottom area about midway across the width, then bend it up.

Go to a 2 dollar shop, Sam's or whatever is in your area and get pot scrubbers about 10 to a pack and easy to work with.( and bloody cheap)

Place the reworked ally in the catch can, firm fit is better, then run a bead of Sikaflex on each side of the plate to secure it.

Allow to cure, then slightly pull apart your pot scrubbers to allow easy breathing and place in can, Dont pack them in too tight as you could start blowing oil seals (at a ridiculous level) if the can is packed too tight, about 1 and a half to 2 pads is fine.

Hook up your lines and away you go, enjoy an amazingly cleaner air intake system etc.

Change my pads every 5000km when I do my oil.

Hopefully the explanation makes sense.

Pete

I made up a test separator out of cardboard today, got it to fit quite well without too much trouble even with the odd shaped lid.

These pot scrubbers, what are they made out of? I don't want something that could potentially break down and be sucked in to the intake.

Im not too sure what you meant by "do a cut in the bottom area about midway across the width, then bend it up" this would make 2 sides? bend them both up or just 1? or do you mean do 2 cuts and bend up the peice in the middle? or something else all togeather?

When you pull apart the scrubbers, do you break them up into pieces or just stretch them out so they arent as dense?
Old 11-01-2010, 07:06 PM

Block of your intake and run your breather pipe down the side of your engine and it will cost you 2 cableties
Old 12-01-2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSTED GQ View Post
Block of your intake and run your breather pipe down the side of your engine and it will cost you 2 cableties
Can you please explain how this works?
Old 12-01-2010, 08:16 PM
Chev 6.5 litre V8: no substitute for cubic inches

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben0085 View Post
Easy..... I've done this on my Patrol's 6.5 Chev V8 diesel donk.

Remove the 1" diameter hose that goes from the top of the rocker cover to the air intake. Block the latter. Add a new 1" diameter hose that now goes from the top of the rocker cover, down to the Provent200 catchcan, mounted in behind the driver's side wing of the bullbar. This catchcan has a 1" inlet and 1" outlet. The outlet may be left with no hose attached to it and it just vents to atmosphere (clean air). The provent also has a chamber at the bottom with a half inch diameter outlet. I have added a short clear plastic hose with a tap. Periodically I can just drain any oil from this tap into a bottle or whatever. No need to route the clean air back into the motor.

http://www.westernfilters.com.au/docs/Mann_Pro-Vent.pdf

Roachie
Old 13-01-2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben0085 View Post
You just vent it to atmosphere simple as that
Old 13-01-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roachie View Post
No need to route the clean air back into the motor.

Roachie
Any air making its way to the catch-can arrives there via the crankcase. This is 'air' that has passed through the engine combustion system, travelling past the piston rings. No matter how good an engine is, and regardless of compression levels, there will always be some blow-by, that is why crankcase ventilation systems were designed. (For those who can recall early Holden or Ford engines, they vented to atmosphere via a curved pipe from the rear of the rocker cover until they were replaced by a PCV - Positive Crankcase Ventilation - system as part of emission reductions.)

This means the air you are venting may not have any oil in it but it is not 'clean' either: they are effectively exhaust gases, mostly only partially combusted.

Technically, venting to atmosphere is thus illegal and you could be pinged for it.

But for that to happen you need to get caught first!

'90 GQ 4.2 Turbo diesel

4.2litre Diesel Club No. 3
GQ TD4.2 Club No 21
Old 13-01-2010, 06:43 PM

don't forget the turbo inlet has a bit of vacuum. having the crankcase hose connected means it will see a bit of vacuum and help suck out the gasses.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:11 PM

Thinking of trying one of these. It has a bigger in and out than the ones a Super Cheap. Will rip the guts out of the filter and put in filter foam. Being Glass means you can keep an eye on the oil level.

Dave

Old 06-02-2010, 12:38 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EX-Toyo View Post
Any air making its way to the catch-can arrives there via the crankcase. This is 'air' that has passed through the engine combustion system, travelling past the piston rings. No matter how good an engine is, and regardless of compression levels, there will always be some blow-by, that is why crankcase ventilation systems were designed. (For those who can recall early Holden or Ford engines, they vented to atmosphere via a curved pipe from the rear of the rocker cover until they were replaced by a PCV - Positive Crankcase Ventilation - system as part of emission reductions.)

This means the air you are venting may not have any oil in it but it is not 'clean' either: they are effectively exhaust gases, mostly only partially combusted.

Technically, venting to atmosphere is thus illegal and you could be pinged for it.

But for that to happen you need to get caught first!
Strewth!!! You made me feel guilty, so I've just relocated the Provent to a better position (close to the rocker cover outlet) and have now added a return hose to the intake manifold. There is still a clear plastic drain hose that I have a tap on the bottom of, so I can drop the old oil that accumulates over any period of time.

Roachie
Old 06-02-2010, 12:42 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siacci View Post
Thinking of trying one of these. It has a bigger in and out than the ones a Super Cheap. Will rip the guts out of the filter and put in filter foam. Being Glass means you can keep an eye on the oil level.

Dave

Dave, looks good to me....why not try it with the original guts still in it first and then maybe fall-back onto the foam if it's not working as well as you'd wanted? How much do those ones cost?

Roachie
Old 06-02-2010, 01:44 PM

I tend to live by the "KISS" principle

All I have done is increase the surface area that the oil/air comes into contact with by putting in one of those stainless steel pot scrubbers (looks like a ball of stainless steel 'swarf') - just 'tease' it out a bit to fill the catch can as much as posssible

Works for me
Old 21-02-2010, 12:41 AM

Default Please explain cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peatbog View Post

Pete
Not sure what you mean by mid way across the width, is there a diagram of some type for this, does anyone have a photo of the internal of Calibre with Divider fitted without filter.

2" Lift , 43mm Foam Cells, KM2's, 80l Waeco, Safari snorkel, Blocked EGR, VDO Boost/ Pyro Gauge, 2.5" Freelflow Dump, DAWES/ Needle Valve, Provent 200 Oil catch can, Converted Hubs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification