Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

Tube Camper Trailer

27K views 86 replies 50 participants last post by  sim79 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
Here are some pics for some ideas for a camper trailer made from tube.
Its still on going and some bracing is still needed so bare with me.

Pic 1, Bending up the draw bar's main rails.
Pic 2, Cutting and notching some supports for the draw bar, was probably the most fiddly part, getting it all even.
Pic 3/4, More supports for the draw bar.
Pic 5, Starting on the main frame.
Pic 6, Setting the axle up.
Pic 7, Axle on
Pic 8, Started on the floor supports and draw bar bracing
Pic 9, Checking flex, Yep none...
pic 10, Fitted 3mm floor and tailgate, welded floor in underneath as well.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Its not high at all, around 3" total lift, its on stands that why it looks high.
Independent suspension could easily be done although for the $$ and how easy this setup is its not worth it for this application.

Benefits, stronger and lighter then box section and is just different.
Negatives, lots and lots of notching....

#10 ·
Not at this stage due to the state of the shed, but when I move and can actually find some room I would.

Thanks everyone else, Ill keep you updated.

Here is what it has / will have.

4" drop axle with 6 stud hubs (look at the pics and spot the axle, its like mini portal axles haha)
Roof top tent
Slide out 4 burner BBQ
Water tank with pump
Sink
Gas waeco fridge
Solar panel also acting as a wind deflector in front of roof top tent
Wind down leveling feet
4x4 hitch
Camp lights
Submersible LED stop and indicator lights
Battery system
1 spare 35 on the draw bar (maybe 2)

#19 ·
Storing the Waeco fridge on its side is probably not a great idea. Also, if the sink etc is going to go where pictured, how is that going to handle wheel travel?

#22 ·
Probably the simplest way to do it for the application intended.
There is no intention to take this trailer through the outback or on corrugated roads the most extreme this will see is a medium hill climb or decent maybe some beach work.

#28 ·
Im unsure what you mean about the camper trialer part?

In regards to this exact one, it would suit my needs, i have taken 0 measurements and dont intend to replicate. There are no plans to make them and sell them but in the future if it were to happen suspension would be looked at of course.

Look at it as a trial, seeing what works where what I dont need and what i could add for the future.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.