GTX2867R Thoughts? - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > General Technical Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain

Patrol4x4.com is the premier Nissan Patrol Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-12-2015, 12:47 PM

Default GTX2867R Thoughts?

Hi All... in the process of fitting TD42ti to my 03 wagon... Have A CC ultimate intercooler on its way with CC plenum.. 12 mm IP will be fitted... Motor is 146k old(not rebuilding at this stage)... Hoping for big torque and in the vicinity of 180 rwkw.. Was looking at a GTX2867R turbo...Does anyone have any experience with this set up? Thoughts either way would be greatly appreciated... Would this setup be too laggy down low? Too much up top? Truck is running 4.3 gearing with 35's... Thanks in advance...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20-12-2015, 03:44 PM
Glasshouse Bogan #2

2867 would be rather uncomfortable to drive the 3067 works well
Old 20-12-2015, 03:46 PM
Part Of The Furniture Round Here

Chasing that sort of power I would be looking at a UFI 18g. You will need to modify your intake as well, eg (snorkel , air box , intake plumbing )

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 20-12-2015, 04:08 PM

Pineapple man... Why do you say the 3067 would be a better option than the 2867?
Old 20-12-2015, 04:10 PM

Smeagol... was looking at the UFI gear... Just thought id try going down another path... Will run a full 3or 4" intake from snorkel to turbo...
Old 20-12-2015, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatimad View Post
Smeagol... was looking at the UFI gear... Just thought id try going down another path... Will run a full 3or 4" intake from snorkel to turbo...
4" for that level of power. I think you will be at the turbos limits (gtx 3067) at 180 kw, wheras with the 18g you are getting up there but there is still headroom if you decide to go higher.
Old 20-12-2015, 06:40 PM

2867 would really top out around the 150-160kw mark and be restrictive at that point also.

You also need to make sure you run the tight rear housing T3 .48 only available out of the states. Or a T25 .64 with an adaptor unless you buy a t25 manifold.
If you run the common .63 T3 housing they are garbage to drive with useless boost response.

The 3067 would be a minimum for 180kw with the same size rear housing.

A UFI 18G will do it better all round though. All the R&D has been done, all the guess work taken out of it etc..

Mechanical & Electronic Engine Tuning Guide
Old 20-12-2015, 09:21 PM

So Dieseltuner.. If i go for the gtx3067, what configuration do i need for my setup and what id like? Have many run this setup? Good or bad results?
Old 21-12-2015, 07:57 AM

Garage

I was running a gtx2867 for around 18months.

First setup was intercooled with exhaust and 10mm pump, 2nd setup was 4" intake and airbox on standard 11mm pump and finally on a fresh motor with UFI 12mm pump at 240hp.

Now I am running a UFI 18g billet.

As diesel tuner mentioned rear housing size is the key to this turbo. I was running a 0.64 t3 rear housing. This made for a fairly laggy setup on a 10mm pump and I wouldnt recommend that choice but with a 4" intake and airbox aswell as big compensated pump it fires up alot better and driveablility improves heaps.

I swapped to a UFI 18g billet chasing a marked improvement in boost response. I have seen alot of posts on this site mentioning 30psi before. My Garrett wasn't doing anything near that at 1900rpm but neither is my UFI18g with the same fueling.

The UFI is a better turbo in every way except maybe transient response, not sure about sound I like them both and both very different notes.

Both turbos on the bench side by side the wheel trims look almost identical, wastagate size is the same although much better actuator than the one supplied on my Garrett. The compressor housing is bigger in the UFI wexhaust housing looks similar in size. You need to fit longer studs and a spacer plate to fit the UFI 18g so the compressor housing has clearance between exhaust manifold. There is no dump pipe yet for the new exhaust housing to suit a dts manifold so will have to make own dump. This also goes for garret on dts. So if buying a manifold it would be easier to run a standard nissan one.

The only reason I swapped out turbos was because our company buys alot of stuff from UFI and we got some great prices on there performance gear. I did the swap as mentioned earlier boost response, the UFI spools alot better but not the big increase I was hoping for.

The turbo is better in every way spool, egts, wastagate control, fitment, dump flange design all that with extra horsepower potential the main improvement was driveablility.

The gtx2867 is the best out of the box turbo Imo and when you can get them from mtq for $1100 it's a clear winner over a Kinugawa or mamba turbo but it's no UFI.

The other thing I might ad was I had to wait for the new housings to be made for my UFI turbo was quite a wait but I imagine that wouldn't be a problem now. But when UFI sent it up they sent my all the bits. Very comprehensive kit any everything fitted where as first time around with the Garrett there was a couple of trips back and forth to mtq.
Old 21-12-2015, 08:28 AM

Ive got a gtx 3071 with smaller exhaust wheel so i guess that would be the 2971. The exhaust housing is a HI18 machined out to suit the exhaust wheel. I havent got the car running yet, but im hoping paired with the dc06 it may work. Has anyone ran this setup??? Sorry to hijack
Old 21-12-2015, 08:45 AM

Garage

Or try a GTurbo.... Direct bolt on, no adapting anything and from what I've experienced it outperforms the 18g.

It's also a lot quieter!
Old 21-12-2015, 09:03 AM

Garage

What's the gturbo worth?
Old 21-12-2015, 09:22 AM

Garage

Around the $2800 mark by memory
Old 21-12-2015, 10:02 AM

Garage

I will agree with boostinmav as the UFI turbo is loud. Head turning loud. Especially when towing.
Old 21-12-2015, 10:05 AM

Garage

Don't get me wrong, the 18g is still a good thing..... Just noisy.
Old 21-12-2015, 11:00 AM

BoostinMav... In your experience how does the Gturbo out perform the UFI 18G? Im tryin to choose a turbo for my rig, but hitting critical information overload...lol
Old 21-12-2015, 11:57 AM

Garage

I have a mate with exactly the same setup as me except he has the 18g and I have a GTurbo and I've driven both so I can honestly say that the GTurbo spools earlier, has a broader torque curve and is quiet.
Overall power is similar but his is a little smokey.
Both running 30psi.
Old 21-12-2015, 12:16 PM

BoostinMav having looked on the GTurbo website, Which setup do you run? The Bad boy?
Old 21-12-2015, 12:21 PM

Garage

The website is a bit lacking, best to just give Graeme a call.
Yes mine is the badboy but he can build pretty much whatever you want
Old 21-12-2015, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostinMav View Post
Don't get me wrong, the 18g is still a good thing..... Just noisy.
Are you running a ram head on the 4' snorkel?