Oil filters - Page 2 - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > General Technical Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain

Patrol4x4.com is the premier Nissan Patrol Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-04-2017, 10:37 PM
Sydoforumsuperfan :)

Thanked 1,587 Times in 1,126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gupatroller View Post
I have been using Nissan filters, but my mechanic has recommended Donaldson filters. as a cheaper alternative.

Have you had any issues with them?
And where do you get them for $8.00? that's a touch cheaper than Nissan's $30+.
thanks
How long does your oil light stay on for with Nissan filters ?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-04-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydo View Post
How long does your oil light stay on for with Nissan filters?
Matter of seconds. I start and let idle before getting in the car without revving too. the light goes out faster with the Nissan ones than a couple of I think it was Cooper (sort of light blue color) filters the mechanic used once. They were not good at all, I guess they were cheap.
I think Donaldson maybe industrial? so might be good to use, and for $8 I'd be willing to try. I haven't tried Ryco but they seem to be a bit confusing on which to use (Z1s are no good read in some link on here but others swear by them?), and how good they are from looking at threads on here.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 21-04-2017, 10:24 PM

15psi is the maximum pressure difference you would want to see across a oil filter!
The factory bypass likely opens at this aswell if not before.
If a ryco z9 bypasses at 15psi pressure differential thats not going to cause a issue

Old 22-04-2017, 06:43 AM

Does anybody KNOW what pressure the factory filter bypass opens at? I've never been able to find an answer.
Old 22-04-2017, 08:10 AM

Quote:
I have been using Nissan filters, but my mechanic has recommended Donaldson filters. as a cheaper alternative.

Have you had any issues with them?
And where do you get them for $8.00? that's a touch cheaper than Nissan's $30+.
thanks

I order them from Westrac. I get 12 at a time. Never had any issues.
Old 24-04-2017, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD&D View Post
15psi is the maximum pressure difference you would want to see across a oil filter!
The factory bypass likely opens at this aswell if not before.
If a ryco z9 bypasses at 15psi pressure differential thats not going to cause a issue
When you say they open before, is that a good thing? This information is all very new to me and not sure if I am worrying about nothing?

How would you find out these figures on any filter, would they be on the box they come in? or elsewhere?
Old 28-04-2017, 03:23 PM

Quote:
When you say they open before, is that a good thing? This information is all very new to me and not sure if I am worrying about nothing?

How would you find out these figures on any filter, would they be on the box they come in? or elsewhere?
Not sure what the spec is on the TD42 it would be in the OEM specification facory service manual, for example a caterpillar C15 the filter bypass is set at 25psi

Opening to soon is no good, honestly dont know what the factory bypass is set at. I change my filters every 5000km maximum so im confident im never getting to the point that the z9 is bypassing in normall operation...if i was a bit slack in changing filters or did em every 10k insted of 5k then i would stay with the Z503 filters.