Tailshaft extension - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > General Technical Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain

Patrol4x4.com is the premier Nissan Patrol Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2017, 11:53 AM

Post Tailshaft extension

Hey all I am thinking about installing a 4" lift on my ute and was wondering if I should extend the tailshaft to maintain the original wheel base. I am only thinking this so I don't have to worry about modification permits/licencing and I thought it may be good for towing to keep the original wheel base (will want to tow a boat).
My thoughts are extra money but easier logistics and better performance.
Thank all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2017, 01:23 PM

I put a 20mm spacer in the front, rear of mine as recommended.

Not sure about what modification permits and licencing you are talking about because I though a 4" lift was illegal even if it's been engineered according to some of the discussions on here and other sites I've read in the past.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Batt's For This Useful Post:
OZTour2017 (13-05-2017)
Old 13-05-2017, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batt's View Post

Not sure about what modification permits and licencing you are talking about because I though a 4" lift was illegal even if it's been engineered according to some of the discussions on here and other sites I've read in the past.
Cheers Batt's, any change to a vehicles specs needs to be registered and approved by a licenced vehicle inspector aka put over the pits.
I have seen a fair few lift kits and none have tailshaft spacers or even mention them. Did you install your own lift Bat's or did you get it installed by a shop/garage, just wondering where to find the spacers.
What's your thoughts on double carden joints, would 2 double carden joints be beneficial with a lift installed or just be an extra cost?
In essence spacers do the same job as an extension, you could maintain original specs as long as you set your rear radius arm properly without having any issues with the tailshaft length.
Cheers Batt's

Old 13-05-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:

Cheers Batt's, my understanding is that as long as you apply for a modification through a pitt inspection and is approved the mod should be legal. You maybe given conditions/recommendations or guidelines to follow to have the mods approved. The more original specs you keep the easier the mod would be approved, might cost a bit more to have wheel bases checked at the pitts though.

Being part of a vehicle club often helps when applying for a mod, this is so you can engage in club events that may require the modification.

I will double check this now though, I don't really want to spend a heap of money on something that I can't use.

Cheers Batt's
Old 13-05-2017, 09:39 AM

Garage

For a 4" lift you'd need a lot more than just a "pit inspection". It'll need to be mod plated by an engineer. If a lane change test is needed (probably), it'll set you back a few thousand.

I'm in a couple of clubs and a 2" lift with 33" mud tyres, along with a front locker is heaps.
4.8 litre Club Member #154
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to abw1 For This Useful Post:
OZTour2017 (14-05-2017)
Old 13-05-2017, 01:22 PM

My mistake their 25mm spacers easy to fit got them from Roadrunner Offroad just need longer high tensile bolts. On a wagon they recommend them from 4-5" lift I have 4" I was thinking when I fitted them early last yr if I should get the neighbour to knock 5mm off each one in his lathe might get around to it one day.

I'm no expert but when you raise your vehicle measure how far apart the shaft moves then I figured that with all the extra weight we carry around and power up grades, larger tyres you are putting a hell of a lot more stress on the drive shafts over a now reduced area so why not fix it when it's an easy mod to install a couple of spacers to reduce any issues that may occur over time. I don't know if their a legal mod or not never asked. Sometimes one of the drive shafts may even come apart when at full flex off road I don't know if they are prone to it happening or not.

In saying that there are lots of people that don't change anything and have no problems with just relying on the over engineered strength of the Nissan drive train but if something does happen then it's to late.
OZTour2017 (14-05-2017)
Old 13-05-2017, 04:37 PM
Master Coalroller

Garage

Don't overthink it see what everyone else is running. 5" lift, long bumpstops and big HP yes spacers.

I've got 3 1/2" lift, long drop rear with spring retainers and cones. Shocks are longest 4" extended money can buy (almost 5" spec). Shaft is still with slipyoke at diff end without touching crossmember at transfer end. No tailshaft spacers here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (45.7 KB, 122 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boundry Rider For This Useful Post:
OZTour2017 (14-05-2017)
Old 14-05-2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abw1 View Post
For a 4" lift you'd need a lot more than just a "pit inspection". It'll need to be mod plated by an engineer. If a lane change test is needed (probably), it'll set you back a few thousand.

I'm in a couple of clubs and a 2" lift with 33" mud tyres, along with a front locker is heaps.
Cheers abw1 for the response, I have done a little bit of research on mods when an engineer friend of mine built a street rod for me which I ended up not licencing and kept just for drag racing. I am 99% sure this can be done. Of course there have been legislation changes since then but I got onto this yesterday and the legislation governing mods hasn't changed that much, mainly additions to legislation rather than restricting original legislation. I will probably write to the minister of transport and either apply for the mod or request a reason for not being able to register the modification now as this is not expensive and absolutely necessary I think.

When I go touring I am going to want to go off the beaten track and do things that will require an improved vehicle for the environment I will track over. I see this as necessary modification so I don't end up as part of the news on channel seven one night. Better to be safer than sorry I say.

I will post my findings on a different thread once I have an outcome for everyone.

I think I am going to buy a custom tailshaft from an engineer and have it made beyond specified requirements and maybe an extra double carden joint, this way the tailshaft will fit a standard suspension to a 6" lift if I wanted (not that I plan on a 6" lift just made beyond specs) and won't have to worry about spacers or extended high tensile bolts. This will make it stronger and more interchangeable with different suspension systems.

Cheers for your input abw1.
The Following User Says Thank You to OZTour2017 For This Useful Post:
abw1 (14-05-2017)
Old 14-05-2017, 11:43 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
My mistake their 25mm spacers easy to fit got them from Roadrunner Offroad just need longer high tensile bolts. On a wagon they recommend them from 4-5" lift I have 4" I was thinking when I fitted them early last yr if I should get the neighbour to knock 5mm off each one in his lathe might get around to it one day.

I'm no expert but when you raise your vehicle measure how far apart the shaft moves then I figured that with all the extra weight we carry around and power up grades, larger tyres you are putting a hell of a lot more stress on the drive shafts over a now reduced area so why not fix it when it's an easy mod to install a couple of spacers to reduce any issues that may occur over time. I don't know if their a legal mod or not never asked. Sometimes one of the drive shafts may even come apart when at full flex off road I don't know if they are prone to it happening or not.

In saying that there are lots of people that don't change anything and have no problems with just relying on the over engineered strength of the Nissan drive train but if something does happen then it's to late.
Cheers for your input batt's I agree 100% with you, I want to go touring and I am not planning on breaking down out in the middle of nowhere. I have come to the conclusion that I require a custom tailshaft made to do what I will be doing. I can actually get a custom tailshaft cheaper than a genuine Patrol tailshaft and I am having signs that I need a new tailshaft anyhow so I think it's a no brainer. Add diff lockers and I think it will be a bullet proof mod.

Thanks batt's
Old 14-05-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boundry Rider View Post
Don't overthink it see what everyone else is running. 5" lift, long bumpstops and big HP yes spacers.

I've got 3 1/2" lift, long drop rear with spring retainers and cones. Shocks are longest 4" extended money can buy (almost 5" spec). Shaft is still with slipyoke at diff end without touching crossmember at transfer end. No tailshaft spacers here.
Cheers for the input Boundry Rider, I like your rig it looks like you could go places in the beast.

I am not sure what you mean HP spacers and also why do you have the slipyoke at the diff end.

Cheers Boundry Rider
Old 14-05-2017, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZTour2017 View Post
Cheers for your input batt's I agree 100% with you, I want to go touring and I am not planning on breaking down out in the middle of nowhere. I have come to the conclusion that I require a custom tailshaft made to do what I will be doing. I can actually get a custom tailshaft cheaper than a genuine Patrol tailshaft and I am having signs that I need a new tailshaft anyhow so I think it's a no brainer. Add diff lockers and I think it will be a bullet proof mod.

Thanks batt's
You could just get a front diff lock and keep the Nissan LSD in the rear because their pretty good.
OZTour2017 (14-05-2017)
Old 14-05-2017, 08:05 PM
Sydoforumsuperfan :)

Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,073 Posts

Quote:
Cheers for the input Boundry Rider, I like your rig it looks like you could go places in the beast.

I am not sure what you mean HP spacers and also why do you have the slipyoke at the diff end.

Cheers Boundry Rider
That's factory position
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sydo For This Useful Post:
Boundry Rider (14-05-2017), OZTour2017 (14-05-2017)
Old 14-05-2017, 10:03 PM

Quote:
You could just get a front diff lock and keep the Nissan LSD in the rear because their pretty good.
I am thinking the same thing batt's, probably will do to start off then the rear if I need to later.
Cheers batt's
Old 14-05-2017, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydo View Post
That's factory position
Cheers Sydo
I thought the reason for having the skinny end on the front was to give clearance to the crossmember plus you end up with most weight on the pinion shaft instead of the transfer case mainshaft.
Not 100% sure but that's my thinking.
Cheers Sydo
Old 14-05-2017, 10:26 PM

Yeah mine is but Boundary Rider says he has X'member clearance so unnecessary
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sydo For This Useful Post:
OZTour2017 (15-05-2017)
Old 14-05-2017, 10:27 PM
Master Coalroller

Garage

Quote:

Cheers Boundry Rider
Ah yep that's just a punctuation slip, meaning for all the aforementioned, fit tailshaft spacers.

As Sydo said, my tailshaft is still in factory position. Usually for 4" and over you're required to flip it over so it doesn't contact the crossmember behind the transfer at full suspension flex.

In WA anything 50mm over factory is required to have a lane change test if you want it to be modded, very expensive.
For what mods you do want to do you'll need written prior approval from whatever department (Vehicle modification dept was in East Perth, who knows what it's called now), and then your engineer must sign off on whatever he was required for before going over the pits for a road test which is when is is all handed back to you as passed. Don't bother writing to any government member they aren't required to authorise anything, and don't care anyhow as there is a department catering for your needs. Look up modifying my vehicle on the Licensing dept or a gov website and get hold of the mod dept and go from there.
Don't mod without the prior approval, as some mods will never be passed without prior approval.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boundry Rider For This Useful Post:
OZTour2017 (15-05-2017)
Old 14-05-2017, 10:37 PM
Master Coalroller

Garage

Even better, go to this do in Wangara next weekend:
Esperance 2017 Meetup Chat Thread
And chat with others about your patrol needs
Old 14-05-2017, 10:41 PM

75mm at roof height now
Old 14-05-2017, 10:43 PM
Master Coalroller

Garage

Yeah I'm like 300mm over lol

Set of std GU springs in the shed for that day
Old 15-05-2017, 10:05 AM
..Hollywood..

Thanked 5,784 Times in 3,198 Posts
Garage

Quote:
What's your thoughts on double carden joints, would 2 double carden joints be beneficial with a lift installed or just be an extra cost?
Sweet crap!

TWO double cardans???

That would violently shake your car to oblivion lol

On a patrol you don't even need one, and two don't work on anything.

built not bought

Tags
extended tailshaft tourer, only one in the world