Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

Australian Values

3K views 86 replies 16 participants last post by  dom14 
#1 ·
A lot has been made of recent discussion on Australian Values, I see this as a two tiered debate, the first layer being we are an English speaking, democratic, capitalist system society based on Christian values (of which you have never needed to be a Christian to follow those values).

The second layer is based on the fun loving, hard working, hard playing, take the micky, beer drinking, scallywag reputation we are famous for overseas.

So my question is if you were to list 5 Australian values from your perspective, what would they be?

#57 ·
Can't argue about the difference between urban and regional diversity.
Just the other day laying back in the haystack chewing on a stalk, marvelling at the little sunbeams filtering through the gaps in the barn roof, I was wondering if Hitler was going to make a move on Poland.
If he does, that would certainly stir some chit...

#63 ·
Driving around Shepparton this morning, I had another thought about what 'Australian Values' might be. One thing I've not really thought of before, but know realise sub-consciously prompts me to judge immigrants is the aesthetic values we have in our society/culture. We accept without noticing a certain level of cleanliness, organisation, colour, architecture and form, but some foreign cultures have different visual norms and it contrasts with what we expect to see in our community.

What I mean is, an African family down the road have all sorts of crap going on in their front yard that when you look at it, without knowing who lives there, you can pick that it won't be a born Aussie.

The Turkish down the road, bulk black cars in their front yard.

The Afghans seem to have no care for maintenance whatsoever.

The Italians and Greeks have white and concrete everywhere, or the 'modern' ones have 80s inspired houses :D

The Sikh and Muslim places of worship have their traditional architecture.

The Pacific Islanders collect heaps of rubbish in their front yard and hang out on couches outside.

I acknowledge that's not always representative of those groups, but it's common enough to generalise the social profile.

I don't know where the East Asians or sub-continentals live, they seem to just vanish or be aesthetically inconspicuous haha

Reactions: dom14
#71 ·
Interestingly the tyre one was done to a policeman's son, he was a gang member who used his father as a shield and had frequently robbed houses in a village, they got sick of it and when they caught him redhanded, that was the result.

So yes your right.

#80 ·
Yeah fair enough Dom. I don't agree with stereotyping either. This was one bloke's narrative on the practical issues he faces with a particular demographic. His experiences not mine, but you judge people how you find them and he is a reliable honest bloke imo.
In any case violent offenders should lose the right to reside here imo. Add to the place dont detract from it.
If a few get banished for good, perhaps that will be the disincentive our court system current lacks ;)

#81 ·
Of course, we've been doing that for quite a while. We even cancel citizenships of migrants and send them back to nowhere when they commit certain crimes that not only violate criminal code but the immigration code as well. We do have tough system here. We send boat arrivals to off-shore detention centers and let them rot in appalling conditions for years while having the immigration act amended to not allow them to settle in Australia at all.
We even deport criminals that have been here their whole life and doesn't even speak any other language better than english. I've seen a 50 year old guy getting deported to europe 'cos he spent more than two years in jail, who's been here since he was 5. I've spoken to an elderly guy who's about be deported to eastern europe for beating his wife unconscious for cheating on him, who subsequently ended up in jail and soon after in immigration detention, and then off to a country he had no clue about how to survive. He's also been here since he was a child. The old fella was remorseful about beating his wife, but broken to the point that he didn't care anymore about anything.
We do have tough system here that goes even to the point of being inhumane.
So, I honestly don't believe we need to get any tougher.
What we need is to get more organized and have better support systems for the migrants that can end up as criminals or gangsters.
No matter what we do, some people are destined to be violent criminals, immigrants or otherwise. Violent criminals who are born here, do have more rights than violent criminals who weren't born here. That's the way it is.

#82 ·
I dont disagree with some of what you express Dom. I don't however believe these gangs of youths who are doing violent car jackings and home invasions are being deported. I would see that as an appropriate deterent for the reasons already stated. I honestly don't care about reasons for the behaviour or mitigating factors. Get rid of them end of story. The privilege granted needs to be removed.
There are people more worthy of it waiting.

#83 ·
Mate the ex Ambulance Chasers do everything they can to beat the system for these people (some will object to the term 'these people', but the context relates to criminal activity, so 'these people' are criminals), not as many being deported as some may believe, to put it simply if people bring their countries problems and criminality to our shores and don't want to live in the civilised manner we are generally accustomed to, that is not acceptable, begone. We have enough criminals of our own to deal with.

#86 ·
#87 ·
A good read about the current deportation laws.
Notice the ability of the minister to exclude a person from an appeal.

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&...gw-BAdCYZ36utmvAw&sig2=tSPF_SVmrrkDWt33q2Vsrw

One year sentence is all needed to get deported.
And that can be something like getting drunk for a first time and get into a car, drive and have an accident at fault and
injure or kill somebody as a result. The person could've been a "saint" prior to that.(It actually has happened).
I don't see why the law need to get any tougher than that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.