Diesel Injection Pump Timing - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > General Technical Discussions > General Patrol Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30-09-2007, 03:21 PM

Default Diesel Injection Pump Timing

Hey
How does one go about doing the timing on the injection pump on a diesel? I'm asking this as next week my truck is heading to the workshop to get the turbo and other goodies installed. As there is no dyno i'm wanting to know if i should get him to do a conservative tune and then head to Brisbane or to another location in Queensland to see a reputable tuner for a more precise tune on a dyno? What are the effects of miss timing?

Cheers
Daniel
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30-09-2007, 07:01 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Starion vr4

Ahh, is it a 3.0L, 4.2L, 4.5L Petrol?
Old 30-09-2007, 07:33 PM

GQ 4.2 Diesel power
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 30-09-2007, 07:47 PM
LOCK, STOCK & 4 SMOKIN MUDDIES!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the pump timing has to be spot-on and the same regardless of wether it's turbo or not?? It's only the fuel volume that needs to be adjusted for turbocharging isn't it??
Old 30-09-2007, 07:54 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Starion vr4

mmm, not entirely correct, but 6deg is correct for a 4.2L DSL.
Old 30-09-2007, 08:36 PM

Just from having a quick word to him he was keen on advancing the timing. I cant quite remeber but i think we were talking about how we were going to try and offset having a slightly to large exhaust side on the turbo. But with out a dyno is it much the flying by seat of pant impressions? Or is there calculations and guidelines for certain levels of boost?
Old 09-10-2007, 10:06 PM

Harty,
I guess they do what they did before dynos, use a stop watch and a good hill! See if you can get Old Mav on to the thread or look up some of his previous posts about tuning.
Talk to the mechanic about exhaust gas temps, I understand the safe after turbo (not sure whether yours is turbo or not) is 550 deg C.
I opened the fuel screw on ours last weekend, by about a quarter turn (it lifted the idle by about 100rpm) and I lifted the max boost from 8.5 to 10.5 and ran it hard up one of my test hills and was surprised to find my exhaust temp over the 550, previous highs had been around 470. I upped the boost to 12.5 and it brought the high temp back to 530 or so. It also reduced my times and upped my top of the hill speed by 20km over the pretiming and tuning speeds. So a little can mean a lot.

2002 coil cab TD42T and a Carry Me Camper and now Patrol Ute Club Member #47!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification