Patrol vs Landrover Discovery - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > General Technical Discussions > General Patrol Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14-12-2011, 07:27 PM

Default Patrol vs Landrover Discovery

Hi all.

As I venture into Patrol Land for the first time (pick up my newly bought 2009 ST-L in 2 days), I have to pry myself off the Landrover 2009 D3 I had my heart set on for so long...

In the end, we settled on the Patrol because we felt it offered better value for money than the 2009 D3.

I made a comment over on AULRO Discovery Forum about how I chose the Patrol over the Landy and getting slammed for it (as expected I guess), but here are some comments I see:

-----------------
"Two of my mates that we go away with both have the same boats weighing in at around 1800Kg each. They also have the same vehicles (Nissan 3.0L Patrols). My boat weighs in at around 2200Kg. When we hit any sort of hill, they drop back to about 90Kph with engines revving their clackers out trying to maintain momentum, whilst mine stays at a constant 115Kph in overdrive. After our 4 hour journey, the Patrol owners are tired and worn out, whereas I get there fresh as a daisy.

You can have your underpowered noisy bone jarring slugs, I'll stick with the Disco"
-----------------------

and

----------------------------------
"Bwahahahahaha

Everyone also knows that Nissan 3.0L motors are NOT "Fantastic"

Keep popping the bonnet to check the pin....."

------------------------------------------------

Very keen to hear your thoughts on these comments made by the Pro-Landy boys.....

I do understand that these comments are to be expected when a Patrol is mentioned in a very Pro-Landy Forum, but what would you response be?

And, I also understand that the D3 diesel is a TDV6, whereas the Patrol is a 4 cylinder.

Tell me why the 2009 Patrols are better than the 2009 D3's.

Tell me if what they said about the Patrols is true.

Grunge
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14-12-2011, 07:33 PM
Part Of The Furniture Round Here

Garage

Landrover owners take it up the arse. do dah do dah
Old 14-12-2011, 07:39 PM

Benno.

Give me your thoughts on their statements?

Grunge
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 14-12-2011, 07:41 PM
Part Of The Furniture Round Here

Garage

I just did
Old 14-12-2011, 07:41 PM

First off, good job in getting the Patrol over the landy!! Yes Patrols will not be as comfortable as a Disco due to their solid axle suspension but this is made up for by being much easier and cheaper to lift and also allows for a lot more flex. Modern CRDs have proved to be a lot more reliable than the older zd30s so you should be pretty safe with this engine. The disco is a much quicker car and their is no comparison in performance terms. In the end, they are very different cars which are well suited to different purposes, the Patrol if you want a reliable, simple workhorse that has a huge scope for modifying or the Disco if you want a comfortable saloon that is moderately capable offroad.
I for one wouldn't touch a land rover due to seeing first hand how much trouble complicated electronics can be in the bush and also the independent suspension.
Old 14-12-2011, 07:52 PM

Garage

If you live in QLD the rego is cheaper
Old 14-12-2011, 08:15 PM

thanks for replies guys.

Why is independent suspension an issue in the bush?

What steps need to be taken to make the rider more comfortable in the patrol - parts, mods, etc?

Grunge
Old 14-12-2011, 08:34 PM

Unfortunately, there isn't much you can say directly to those comments because they are all true. Any patrol will struggle to pull a decent boat, except 4.8- which by today's standards isn't within a bulls roar of other 4wds. They will also ride a million times better than the patrol.

What I do find funny though is disco owners having any kind of dig at anyone about reliability and build quality. They, with RR, are the worst of the worst. It doesn't take much research to find the plethora of failures that routinely go on them.

Aftermarket and direct service and support is hopeless. Imagine being stuck in the middle of no where needing a spare part?

Despite what people will say, independent suspension isn't really that bigger an issue in the bush as it will take you 99% of places. Some vehicles may break things easier if you abuse them like hell and they will knock out of alignment easier....but at least they can be aligned.

But stuff a land rover....i would buy a outlander or trail before one.
Old 14-12-2011, 08:49 PM

I'd say The D3 with its TDv6 definatly has the patrol beat in the engine power department. The D3 would definantly be a better "Car" but better 4x4. Doubt it.

There is no a patrol diesel availiable that id call a power house. The ZD30 did have some issues mainly affecting older models. Your 09 will be sweet. Throw a EGT and boost gauge on it. Add a chip and Zorst and she'll fly.

Where the patrol Shines.

1. Better Valve
2. More robust and stronger chassis and drivetrain
3. Anyone who knows anything about offroading knows live axels kick independant suspensions arse when in the rough. Why do you think the old rangies are still popular? Its certainly not because of their reliability.
4. No more being called a homo when you tell people about you 4x4?
5. Was 4x4 in some dunes not long ago and there was a guy with a newish Disco. was bogged cause his tyres wouldn't bad out cause you couldn't fit a wheel smaller than 18inch on it. Bloody chelsea tractor.

Bottom line. Personal preference both can be good and bad. Just Enjoy New car. Espically towing out bogged discos cause there tyres dont bag out enough cause the cant get wheels smaller than 18 inch on them.
3 Inch Exhaust.
Manual TC lockup
D Tronic Chip.

I Drive a HYBRID My cars a 4x4 and a beer fridge!

Now tuning CRD Ecu's!
Old 14-12-2011, 09:19 PM

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Mavtroll

ok.. to start...
1. the 3.0L patrol "grenade" is the DI not the CRD (09 is a CRD)
2. yes they will go faster up a hill... good work guys... your car is faster up a hill than a real 4x4... but guess what... that other guy in the SS commodore for half the money is still faster - most people dont buy a 4x4 for speed
3. you now have a vehicle that is not only capable of travelling around this amazing country... but you can almost guarantee that no part of your trip will be on a tilt tray due dodgy electronics (refer discovery reliability terst in NQ)
4. at our scenic rim meet we saw a landrover demo day, as a great example of IFS vs Solid axle i drove a section the landy's were getting stuck at in 2x4 with a camper trailer attached... wait, that doesnt talk about live axle cos i didnt use my front one... it just says that landrovers are a city car not a 4x4
4. of course you are going to get a landrover biased report there and a patrol biased report here but in the end it comes down to you, if the patrol tows your boat, and drives well, and takes you where you wanna go, for less coin: then its a better vehicle and F**K everyone elses opinion (including mine)
Old 14-12-2011, 09:54 PM

thanks again for replies.

what years are the 3.0l DI motors?

How are these DI motors different to the CRD motors?

Why are solid axles considered better for 4wd than IFS by some people?

Grunge
Old 14-12-2011, 09:57 PM

Garage

Lets not forgot that landrover owners know they are low on oil when the engine stops leaking.
Old 14-12-2011, 09:59 PM
Enemy of Reality

Fuel delivery is the only tangible difference. They were built as late as early 2007.

I love my crd. You won't be disappointed. Mine just took the missus and I across the simmo, uneventfully. We weighed in over 3.5T.
Old 14-12-2011, 10:03 PM

CRD are commonrail (that's all I know but plenty more info if you have a look around on the forum) and came out in 2007 so any 3.0ls before that are DI motors
Old 14-12-2011, 10:05 PM

Sounds great Mic.

How did your 50mm lift change your ride and what are MTR kevlars?

Grunge
Old 14-12-2011, 10:11 PM
Enemy of Reality

The lift stiffened it up a bit. Handles nicely. Only regret is not fitting poly airs for when shes loaded up.

Mtr kevlars are tyres. Google: Goodyear wrangler Mtr Kevlar. They're an aggressive mud tyre but have very good onroad manners. I got them specifically for touring. Awesome tyre really.

Welcome to the fold man. You won't be sorry. My wife even said "it's like the patrol was made for this trip". Everything is effortless in the troll. Well except pulling heavy loads up steep hills, but Mavtroll has covered that!
Old 14-12-2011, 10:18 PM

thanks Mic.

i look forward to the journey and contributing to this forum.

What mileage did you get during the Simmo journey?

What are poly airs?

I thought the Troll was pretty stiff already? why stiffen the vehicle up further?

Grunge
Old 14-12-2011, 10:30 PM
Enemy of Reality

Mileage across the desert prior was er... 600km with 140L fuel. But other than that, on the blacktop about 16L/100km. This was loaded with a rooftop tent etc.
Poly airs are a 'support' for your spring. Theyre bags that sut insude your coil springs. When unloaded you have little to no pressure in them. But when you pack up for a trip, the load of a trailer (or in our case the load in/on the car) causes the back to sit down a bit. This can affect handling, result in bottoming out etc. So you pump air into the bags. It effectively stiffens your springs up and helps it ride better when loaded.

If you will have a heavy load in/behind your patrol more often than not, id suggest heavy duty springs suited to the kind of load you'll be carrying. Poly airs are a compromise, but I do a lot of kms unloaded compared to those I do loaded up.
Old 14-12-2011, 11:34 PM

Garage

Welcome to heaven and you wont have any drama's with ya CRD!!! F U C K the disco european crap

Enjoy your new "REAL" 4x4 and have fun with ya mods

Cheers
Old 15-12-2011, 04:46 AM
Part of the furniture around here

Garage

A few extras like a 3" exhaust and chip will make the Patrol go a lot, lot, better than standard, but not quite like the Disco. Also, an aftermarket suspension is almost mandatory if you want a nicer ride, though it'll never be as supple as the Disco. I like the OME 50mm suspension kit with the Comfort Shocks. The Patrol in all likelihood will keep going a lot, lot, longer without issues, unlike a Disco.

Cheers

Ray

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification