Roof lights NSW LAW - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > General Technical Discussions > General Patrol Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2009, 08:43 PM

Default Roof lights NSW LAW

I went through this when it was pink slip time ( NSW ) I got knocked back by one examiner ( but he could not show me in his rule book that it was illegal and refused to get involved, simply said he will not pass it ) so I called another he said he would pass it but I wanted to be sure it would be legal. Spoke to the RTA who said they have no such rule that it is illegal to have lights on the roof. Spoke to and went to see Blue slip examiner, read through his book ( provided by the RTA ) ( and I don't mean a quick flick, I was there more than an hour ) and it does not say that it is illegal. Spoke to the RTA again who said they can't force an ( the first examiner ) examiner to pass a car. They also said so long as it complies with the ADR's then there is no problem. Spoke to the ADR people and was refered to the coresponding COMLAW page refering to lights that the ADR's must adhere to and it does not say that they are illegal.

If anyone has information to the contrary I would like it to be well researched, I admit that it was more than a year ago that this took place, but I would like someone to contradict me with something more than " a bloke down the pub said ".

If no one can contradict this then I will continue with my roof lights whilst in NSW without worry.

RANT OVER

Cheers Gordon
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2009, 09:05 PM

Garage

The "mounting of lights on the roof" rule changed the year that Jeep bought out the Wrangler with the lights across the roof, ADR had to change the rule as they are "Factory fitted".
Old 11-10-2009, 09:06 PM

i believe you are not supposed to have more than 6 forward facing lights and that they must be symetrical
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-10-2009, 09:12 PM

Default re wrangler

I remember the wrangler situation ( wasn't that about 4-5 years ago ). The information I have refered to was current in January 08.

Cheers Gordon

Also Please state what state ( geographicly ) you are in.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:16 PM

Garage

Yes that is true but the law still remains the same you can not change it back as they are still registered in all states. So they haven't changed it back or all the Jeep drivers will be upset
I am in QLD but my brothers sells lights all over the world and needs to keep up with the laws.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:25 PM

Default Re laws

I'm pretty sure that there are different adr's for new vehicles, Also if you think that it is illegal ( in NSW ) can you tell me what is the source of this information. No disrespect to your brother or yourself but I need to know where this is coming from, it may well be that his boss ( for example ) has told him this and he believes it, but his boss does not make the laws. The only way of knowing is to be refered to the actual law and as I said regarding NSW this was not the case in Jan 08.

Cheers Gordon
Old 11-10-2009, 09:49 PM

Garage

He owns the buisness and only goes from the ADR which applies to all of Australia and no they are not illegal will get the exact laws for you tomorrow.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:53 PM

Default I think we agree

So you are saying that they are not illegal, is that right?

If so we agree

Cheers Gordon
Old 11-10-2009, 09:57 PM

Garage

Thats is exactly 100% correct.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:50 PM
85kw of Brute Strength

they are not illegal , though i have been told they need to be switched seperatley and preferably in pairs BUT i have never seen that in writing and my patrol PASSES pink slip EVERY year with four lights on the roof rack
Old 11-10-2009, 10:58 PM

Default exact wording

The exact wording states basicly that you should be able to switch them off independantly of the rest of the lights but you should only be able to switch them on when high beam is being used.

Basicly you need a relay with the switching wire being run from the high beam wire with a switch in this conection.

Cheers Gordon
Old 11-10-2009, 11:01 PM
85kw of Brute Strength

yeah thats how mine are , i'll be gettin a pinky this week too
Old 14-10-2009, 01:47 PM

On my hilux I had 4 spotties on the roll bar in the tray they were technically illegal if i diddnt have the covers on them. as far as i know and it was explained to me lights above the boonet line must

only work on high beam
be seperatly switched.
have covers when on road.

yes rules change due to the jeep
I was told that roof lights must not be behind he drivers head

Rob
Old 14-10-2009, 08:50 PM

Does anyone know what the exact rules are regarding qld. As i am looking at putting some on my rollbar, for offroad use only, and i was gona have them covered when on road, and completly disconneted, via a cigarette lighter setup at the base of the rollbar, so basically they will be wired to be turned on and off via a dash switch, plus they can only come on when high beam is on, plus they can only come on if they are plugged in.

Would the be legal? As i am a p plater and i get pulled up enough as it is.

Cheers
Old 14-10-2009, 08:54 PM
Part Of The Furniture Round Here

Garage

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/reso...r_Vehicles.pdf

Page 3
Specific (Driving lamps)
• Two additional pairs of driving lamps may be fitted to a motor
vehicle.
• The driving lamps must be mounted symmetrically on the vehicle.
• The light emitted must not cause the driver discomfort either
directly or indirectly through the rear view mirror and/or other
reflecting surfaces of the motor vehicle.
• Driving lamps must not be placed wider than the dipped beam
headlamps.
• The colour of light emitted from driving lamps must be white.
• Additional driving lamps must only operate in conjunction with the
high beam circuit and must be fitted with an independent on/off
switch.
• There is no individual height specification for the fitting of driving
lamps.

Is apparently changing to a max of 4 extra lamps inclusive of foglights.
Old 14-10-2009, 09:04 PM

So benno after reading that i am to assume that i can mount 2 and only 2 spotties on my roof, as long as they do not reflect of my bonnet and annoy me, and i cannot have any spotties on my bullbar as there is a maximum of 2 additional lights allowed.

IF that is the case then i will just wait till it becomes four lights and mount two extras on the roof, and leave my current ones on my bullbar.

Cheers,

- CozaB
Old 14-10-2009, 09:37 PM
Part Of The Furniture Round Here

Garage

Thats my take on it too mate.

EDIT!!!!: just reread what you said. It is currently 2 x pairs of spotties + 1 pair of fog lamps. It is changing to a max of four extra lights only with fog lamps included in that total. So in your case you can have four extras total.

It effects me (and anyone with the S4+ ARB bars with inserts) that currently have spotties and foglamps. As it currently stands I am illegal with my roofrack on (4 spotties) with the two on my bar and my two fogs (6 driving lamps), when it changes Ill be just a tad more illegal (8 total lamps).

That said I have been parked in front of the local constabulary for over 5hrs and walloper after another walked right on past.

Sorry for the correction.

Last edited by bennoGU28; 14-10-2009 at 11:30 PM.
Old 14-10-2009, 10:10 PM

Im in western australia and i got a yellow sticker for having a light on the top of bull bar it was illegal for restriction of vision wich is fair enough but but the copper also said that from the road to the center of the spot light cant be over 1400 mm.But got told at the pits that that is bull@#$! and there is no such rule on spotlights be it on the roof or on the bull bar only if they dont restrict vision or are wired up in a loom not requiring a relay..

SD33T,33inch stt,Straight throught mandel exaust,Full custom roof rack,2 inch lift,extended shackles,2 inch body blocks and Custom bush pinstriping etc etc
Old 14-10-2009, 10:31 PM
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK3.3TWAGHOON View Post
Im in western australia and i got a yellow sticker for having a light on the top of bull bar it was illegal for restriction of vision wich is fair enough but but the copper also said that from the road to the center of the spot light cant be over 1400 mm.But got told at the pits that that is bull@#$! and there is no such rule on spotlights be it on the roof or on the bull bar only if they dont restrict vision or are wired up in a loom not requiring a relay..
I know a copper who booked someone with rooflights. Not because they were on the roof but when he came over the crest the rooflights were on and dazzled the copper before the other driver knew there was an oncoming car. He booked him for failing to dip his lamps.
I've looked right into roof light laws too (Comlaw, ADR's, VSB's etc) and cant find anything from any state that says they are illegal.

All I could find is that the use of them come under the same road rules as using high beam and driving lights.
Old 14-10-2009, 11:43 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudso View Post
I know a copper who booked someone with rooflights. Not because they were on the roof but when he came over the crest the rooflights were on and dazzled the copper before the other driver knew there was an oncoming car. He booked him for failing to dip his lamps.
I've looked right into roof light laws too (Comlaw, ADR's, VSB's etc) and cant find anything from any state that says they are illegal.

All I could find is that the use of them come under the same road rules as using high beam and driving lights.
Roof lights are NOT allowed to be used "on road" they are for off road use only.
I was done for having spotlights on top of my bullbar as they are a hazzard to pedestrians they were not hooked up just sitting there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification