Supercheap, Ridge Ryder 9500lb Winch - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > General Technical Discussions > General Patrol Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17-08-2010, 07:39 PM

Default Supercheap, Ridge Ryder 9500lb Winch

For anyone thinking of getting one, Supercheap has them for $397 ea starting tomorrow. I'm going to have a look at one first before laying down the cash.

Only thing worrying me is is 9500lb enough for a GU? Probably not, but I'm not doing the Borneo Equator Challenge...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17-08-2010, 08:26 PM

9500 should be enough, nodoubt these will be the same as most cheap winches just re named someting else. For the coin they seem to be ok if you don't over work them. Make sure you give it a good test out before you need it ie bogged by yourself
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 17-08-2010, 08:47 PM

They should be used with a snatch block to halve the stress on them and should be ok then. I have a warn 9000 and always use a snatch block, bit slower but saves the winch.

cheers

Shane.
Old 17-08-2010, 11:48 PM

my little brother has got 1 on his 80 series landcruzer. They uses a dog clutch so yo need to make sure that if you free spool you need to lock it in before you put any load onto it and you will be fine

cheers
Nigel
Old 18-08-2010, 04:26 PM

what's the go with putting one of these/ or any winch on a standard nissan bull bar???? i haven't upgraded my bar yet but would like to take advantage of this deal as i have been told buy quite a few people that they are pretty decent winch for the cost???
Old 18-08-2010, 07:12 PM

I've had a good look, and think that if you were to fab up a mounting plate and were prepared to cut open the alloy on the factory bar then it is doable.

If I didn't get the arb bar I got though I was just going to drive around and every winch bar I saw on a patrol leave a note offering cash to swap. Plenty of soccer mums out there with winch bars that don't need them and would love some cash...
Old 21-08-2010, 06:08 PM

Ben 78, did you get the winch and if so what is it like. I have also been told that it is a good product for the coin, but I am still yet to see one in the flesh.
Old 21-08-2010, 06:19 PM

i would recommend them to anyone look for a good cheap whinch it is slow but always done the job, when i get home from work i will upload some pics of it in action

cheers,
Nigel
Old 21-08-2010, 08:18 PM

Yep, installed. Winched me against 3 clicks of the handbrake (enough to hold me in most circumstances) along the street to spool the cable under tension. Went out today to try and get an opportunity to use it but like always, the Patrol makes light work of everything I throw at it, no matter how much I clench my teeth... Drove the Gum Flat Trail out of Coffs (as seen on the most recent Coffs 4wd Action DVD) aired the ATZ's down to 24psi and just crawled my way up. The tyres rubbed the inside of the arch on the rear drivers (that plastic stuff covering the fuel filler hoses).

I don't really have the right batteries in there though, just have a 480CCA in the Aux tray. Connected to the main via a 100amp jumper cable.

For the dollars I have been pretty happy. I have seen a LOT of cheap chinese gear. Nothing has matched the quality of wiring connections in this (for the relative dollar/value) Everything has been crimped and heatshrinked. Nothing has a 'cheap' feel about it.

Oh, one thing. The fairlead seems a bit light on considering the load it could possible see. Just seems to be a bit of pipe with a couple of plastic bushes in it and a pin up the centre. Not that I have looked at any other fairlead rollers to see how they go together. Might be something to cause grief in the future...
Old 21-08-2010, 08:28 PM

If you can get a secondhand warn fairlead cheap do it they are a much heavier construction they weigh about 3 times more. my cheapie fairlead had enough 2 rollers pack up from the presure on them once they stop rolling then they just start to bend the roller frame

Last edited by Danny40; 21-08-2010 at 08:37 PM.
Old 21-08-2010, 08:34 PM

Hey guys
You have me interested now! any pics ???
Old 21-08-2010, 10:33 PM
Over there somewhere...

Old 22-08-2010, 12:12 AM

I purchased one of the winches in perth, would you believe my daughter went their on monday (first day of the sale) and she got the last one.

I can't pick it up till 3 weeks, so watching this post to see the vibes and so far so good.

Would appreciate pics though of the winch working
Old 22-08-2010, 06:51 AM

Would be good to get some pictures and specs.
Old 22-08-2010, 08:32 AM

Ok,

In the box when I got it

In the box when I got it

Inside the motor side. Plenty of grease and sealing.

Inside the clutch side. Plenty of grease and sealing.

Installed in the bar

Mounted solenoid box on the back of the winch so no prying fingers can get to it

Extended control lead plug to the dash, again to keep away from prying fingers and to make it easier to operate.

Out looking for somewhere to use it...
Old 22-08-2010, 08:36 AM

For specs look here
You can buy online if you want one for $427 which includes $30 freight

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/onl...um=cpc#details

* 9,500lbs (4,300kgs) Rated single line pull
* 5.5HP 12V Series wound motor
* Remote switch with 3.5m lead
* 195.8:1 Gear reduction ratio
* Automatic In-The-Drum braking
* Cable diameter 8.3mm x 28m long
* Mounting bolt pattern: 254mm x 114.3mm
* Gross weight: 36Kg
* 12 Month warranty
Old 22-08-2010, 12:56 PM

Looks very similar to the ALDI unit.

DIY GU Drink Holders
Old 22-08-2010, 01:31 PM

Looks like my tigerz11 re-badged. Looks like it was even packed the same.
Old 22-08-2010, 05:10 PM

I don't know about the older Tigerz11, but the current ones have bigger motors and higher speed gearboxes.

Another thing to add...

The Supercheap winch has long enough power cables to reach the aux battery which is mounted against the firewall on an RD28, pretty much enough cable to suit nearly any application. Which may also be a negative. The cables are fairly small considering that at a dropped battery voltage of 11.5V the cables could be asked for 350 amps. They are more like the cables used on 100-200A jumper cables, over longer runs can result in higher voltage drops which leads to more current draw.

Will keep an eye on this and fix if need be.
Old 22-08-2010, 06:09 PM
Part Of The Furniture Round Here

Good that it has rubber seal rings to seal against the drum.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification