td42 Intake Manifold - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > General Technical Discussions > General Patrol Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2005, 11:53 AM

Send a message via MSN to oondy
Default Camshaft inlet duration and Port size/area - td42 Intake Manifold

Does anyone know the diameter or the hole in the intake manifold, where the air cleaner assy bolts to.

I'm toying with the idea of machining this out a bit, maybe some port matching while its off.....a big maybe that is.

Has anyone done this or any other intake mods (besides just adding a turbo)?

I just see it as being the most restrictive part of the induction system on a TD42. snorkels are all pretty much 3" diameter, along with nearly all the othr pipes/ducts but then i can't see the manifold intake being 3", i had a quick look from above and it looks quite small, then looking from underneath/sideon it looks quite small.....especially for a 4.2L engine.

i've seen custom plenum chambers for RB30ETs that people have built them selves.

I have the tools and resources to do a lot of it my self so anything is possible really.

just curious thats all.

cheers

OONDY

Last edited by oondy; 10-11-2005 at 07:09 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2005, 03:56 AM

We intend to use a twin ram intake into the inlet manifold on my turboed TD42. Instead of a single cross-over pipe coming from the turbo, have it split into a "Y" shape and have one arm of it drop in between cyl 2 & 3, with the second drop in between cyl 4 & 5. Then need to blank off the original inlet.

Has more even distribution of air to all cylinders...have no idea if it will work, but certainly shouldn't hurt it. Worth a try.

Cheers
Mitch
Old 06-11-2005, 10:27 PM

Have one all ready will post pics of it tomorrow.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-11-2005, 07:08 AM

Send a message via MSN to oondy
Default Cam shaft inlet duration and port area??

after a bit of looking around, there is quite a bit of science behind tuned intake manifold/plenum chambers.....still keen to give it ago though.

I found a web site which a bloke has calculated everything for an MGC GT with the rover V8 i think....anyway he has shown all his equations used and they all make sense...stuff working them out from first principles though.

if anyone knows the area of the intake port in the TD42 Head (where the manifold mates to it), and the inlet valve duration in degrees, i would be greatly appreciative if someone could help me out.

GQ TROL...your twin plenum idea looks like it would be the go...according to this website anyway.

http://mgcgti.clarkeandclarke.co.uk/

The theory is that the intake into the plenum is design correctly to give an desired air speed of about 180ft/s at max driving RPM. This then gives the air enough speed into the runner and into the engine so that when the inlet valve closes, the air then resonates within the runner, a wave front travels back and forth within the runner, creating a virtual prssure. The length of the runner determines where the wave front is when the intake valve opens next time round. If designed correctly, for a given RPM range, the wave front is at the valve when it opens.....presto....better flow of air into the engine.

the only drawback at the moment is the length of the runner i have calculated due to the low revving range of the engine. this could be an advantage aswell due to the narrow driven RPM range, unlike high revving petrol engines which may be from 2500 to 6000 or higher.

cheers

OONDY

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification