Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

gu ute gone got a gq wagon

8K views 86 replies 9 participants last post by  jc4x4 
#1 · (Edited)
hey guys well my gu ute got yellow stickered and i managed to swap it for a gq wagon =)

the gq is a 93 model silver top td42 na motor with some fuel pump work done previously.

it has dual batteries, 5in front lift and 6in rear, 146lt fuel tank, larger radiator, dual wheel carrier and the usual gear

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sport utility vehicle Bumper

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Tire

plans for it are

turbo it
3in exhaust
4in lift after removing the 6in lift
tube bar front
rear quater chop
possiably an extra cab chop but to a well body ute
hid head lights upgrade
led light bars x 2
and yeah go from there haha

See less See more
#2 ·
ok have owned the new wagon for about a week now and i have come across a few little problems such as the earth for the dual battery isolator had come off so had a flat batter one morning. also the spot lights decided not to work, and the high beam on the drivers side head light isnt getting power. but i have fixed the spot lights and dual batterys and have been looking at the power fault for the head light but yeah. also been getting prices for the new 4in lift kit and been thinking about the bar work i want to have on it.

here is a few pics of my previous gu ute

Vehicle Off-roading Car Bumper Automotive exterior

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Off-roading

Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Tire Car

#4 ·
haha na there was some money my way but as it had a defect sticker and i didnt have the time or money to get it fixed and passed it had to go plus i was wanting to start a new project anyway

plus the guy i got it from has a turbo and manifold for it and he said i can have them.

#5 ·
over the christmas i wnet down to perth to see the folks and caught up with a mate so we figured we would go and test out the gq up at mundaring powerlines.

her is a couple of flex pics

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Tire Automotive tire

there is a few more pics my the internet is playing up will add them later

cheers

#6 ·
got a little question about rear coils/ suspension and flex as im used to a leaf rear patrol, when the rear was flexed as above, i noticed that the left hand rear wheel was sort of pointing in towards the front of the car like the axel had twisted is that normal or not? for the aparnet lift thats in it i dont think the rear arms are the correct length ones so would that cause the wheel and axel to twist like that?

i am going to redo the lift once i get some coin so adjustable lower arms and maybe upper arms as well.

cheers

#10 ·
hey guys hope everyone had a good christmas and new year.

over the holidays and doing some 4wding i have been thinking about keeping the gq as a wagon for a while as i have never had one and have always had utes, so something different for a while. So i have been thinking about what i would like to do and what i would use it for more and have decided for a bit of an all rounder such as touring, weekend 4by runs, beach work (fishing etc).

i have come up with a bit of a list of things i am wanting to do to it to make it better, more driveable and pritty much ready to go anywhere.

here is a list i have come up with:

Bar work:
- chop the steel bullbar for more approch angle and a better look, also reenforce it to suit a winch
-side steps to be cut down so they dont hang out so wide
- mod the rear dual wheel carrier to suit the quater chop or make a new one to suit. i have also been thinking about possiably making it so i could take a rear winch
Lighting;
-headlight and loom upgrade and find and fix the driverside high beam not working fault
-decent spotties (hid)
- repace all park, tail and indicator globes with leds
Engine:
-turbo set up
- w2a intercooler or a front mount set up
-3in zorst straight through
-patrol docta 4in air box
- 4in snorkle with ram head
-heavy duty alloy radiator
Suspension:
-4in lift with suspension stuff flexi coils
- 33's or 35 atz's or mtz's
Interior:
-new front seats as the current ones are rooted
-new drivers side seat belt
-custom roof console possiable 'T' type
-set up the uhf so its easyer to hear
-upgrade the sterio head unit
-offroad gps set up
-rear draw system
-cargo barrier
-led interior lights
Electrical
-new batterys
-redo the dual battery system with a redarc set p like my previous 4wd
-run power to the rear of the wagon
Other stuff:
-Air compressor set up
-onboard water and shower set up
-roof rack

thats all i have come up with for now. i have also changed the washer bottle as it had some holes in it and wouldn't hold water and same with the over flow bottle

cheers jc

#11 ·
ok been a while since I have updated this thread so figured I better update.

not much has changed on the wangon yet but I have started to make a rear draw set up and atm I have the frame in and a board over the top but gives me some extra storage which is good.

also got most my new suspension which has ss flexi coils 3.5in lift, procomp 6in shocks, superior 10mm+ lower trailing arms, extrended barke lines, 80 series bumpstops, and also have ordered a buds customs front long arm kit which I am waiting to rock up.

still decideing what size and brand tyres I am going to get.

have been 4wding out around pickering brook WA also have done a couple of 4wd trips now one to Harvey WA and one to collie WA and managed to stake a tyre over the weekend so got to get some tyres soon.

little bit of a flex shot with the old suspension as the new lot aint in yet.

few of the other cars I have been trecking with

will keep up dated as I have done a clutch with the last trip so motor is goint to come out, fix a few leaks , clutch, do the ebay td05 turbo upgrade and yeah hope fully some tyres haha.

jc

#12 ·
update

motor is out,
flywheel going to get skimmed this week,
new clutch on its way,
headlight wiring upgrade done,
pulled the sump off and pulled a couple of the mains and bigend caps off and bearings in fairly good shape and say std on them so bonus going to put a new set in while its out tho =)
got new patrol docta winch cradle just need mounting bolts and will put the new bar togeather

I have the turbo manifold. just an ebay one and going to order the turbo in a week or so

have other bits still coming as well as my buds front longarms left on Thursday finally so changed out the front coils and shocks.

got a new hd brass and copper radiator as mine had some leaks, also pulled the thermostat top off to find the long bolt ( that normaly snaps) to be previously helicoiled and striped thread on the bolt. managed to get a 2nd hand lower thermostat housing and timing cover from the wrekers for $220.

so slowerly getting there.

qick question has anyone tried one of these on the 4wd?

1 6" OD Universal Aluminum IN Line AIR BOX POD Filter 4" Inlet | eBay

or

2 5" OD Universal Aluminum IN Line AIR BOX POD Filter 4" Inlet | eBay

or

3 Universal Aluminum IN Line AIR BOX POD Filter 3" Inlet | eBay

cheers jc

#17 ·
yeah I know but trying to get ahold of a 3lt air box at a reasonable price is scairce
Well, as luck would have it my feck off huge pod is on its way from the states. So when it gets here and I put it on, I shall sell you my zd30 box if you so desire ;-)

#15 ·
If your not after huge power maybe just 3ltr airbox and 4" snorkel.
Easy ish mod and don't lost 2nd battery like some airboxes.
Only downfall I can see so far is bit harder to change passenger side headlight globe.

#20 ·
few pics of work in process

empty engine bay
Vehicle Car Auto part Engine Automotive exterior

motor out, new ebay high mount manifold (up for sale on gumtree as going different way)
Auto part

some new suspension, diff breather kit, extended brake lines
Auto part Wire Electrical wiring Gas Suspension

new headlight wiring upgrade
Electrical wiring Wire Electrical supply Electronics Technology

#21 ·
old brass copper hd radiator
View attachment 77818

new hd brass copper radiator
View attachment 77834

patrol docta winch cradle
Auto part Vehicle

how a lower thermostat housing should look like
Iris Automotive exhaust Auto part Exhaust system Muffler

how mine looks
Iris Eye Close-up Organ Caramel color

the bottom end, pulled off the front and rear main caps to inspect the bearings and they are fairly good still and still std size. going to put new ones in tho same with the big ends Auto part Engine Vehicle Automotive engine part Machine

new 60mm boost and pyro gauges just sitting there atm as seeing if I like them in that spot:eek:
Tachometer Gauge Vehicle Measuring instrument Car

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Steering wheel

#23 ·
haha I know im still waiting foir the buds long arms and gotta save bit more for the turbo etc. think I might put the normal exhaust mani back on to get it on the road etc.

new bigend and main bearings will be delivered Monday and my dad is getting my flywheel machined for me so its getting there. once I have the bearings the motor can go back together and put it in but yeah

#24 ·
well just ordered my new turbo :D.
ebay td05 16g 8cm now just got to get my lowmount manifold and a w2a intercooler

jc

#29 ·
Not yet :/ the arms might be here tomorrow but who knows. Once the car is running again I will take it to a mates workshop a and borrow the hoist

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.