Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

Tritys GQ Patrol

5K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  trity 
#1 ·
Heres the new play toy - when i first went looking for a Patrol i had a few requirements
1. GQ
2. Diesel or petrol/gas
3. Manual
4. Good mechanicals

I didn't care too much for the body as i knew this could be fixed fairly cheaply

it is a 1991 GQ TI Patrol, 4.2 petrol/gas, manual, pacemaker extractors, 2.5 in exhaust, tint, velour seats, full electrics, 2in lift ally bullbar, ally roofrack, spotties, ally sidesteps, ROH alloy wheels, 90lt gas tank, long range fuel tank and custom rust in the rear windows and a bit in the roof

#2 ·
ok here are some pics of the car before i had a few beers and got stuck into the work

i am going to tidy up the inside first, this patrol has seen a bit of gravel road work a bit of gravel dust throughout so i think thats a pretty good place to start cleaning as the previous owner didn't feel like cleaning much ahahaha

before the U bracket on the rear bumper was crummy, dirty and rusty after a little TLC this is how it ended up

it looks like around a 2in lift but of what brands i dont know the springs are yellow and the shocks look like Rancho 5000's but with no stickering
either way it doesn't handle too bad - i didn't ralise how small the front sway bar is on the GQ it is so thin i may be tempted to dis-connect

#3 ·
took the spare off the back door and gave the rim a new lease of life as it was looking a bit sad the old steelie

the lh mirror what has happened is the plastic clip on the back of the electric mirror (much like a housing for the cogs etc) has snapped so the mirror falls out of the plastic housing

my old man has some scotchweld crap that we chucked on there then about a whole tube of silicone this puppy aint going anywhere hahahaha

picked up a few things today, Uniden UH-012 uhf radio nice little unit not a remote head but it isnt bulky and an antenna - looks like a 4.5dB might replace it with a 6dB later on

i managed to do a bush mechanics job of the rear right mudflap, the rubber mudflap has torn away from the bracket therefore falling off
so out comes the drill and pop-rivets
bobs ya uncle shes back on and working a charm

took the roof rack off today and had a decent look at the roof - a little more bubbled paint along the side but nothing to worry about i like my rust i am starting to become a custom to it, at least the interior is looking a bit better

#4 ·
ok update time:

i have removed the 3rd row seat and given the whole car a good vacuum and wipe down of the gravel dust - i was actually quite surprised how clean the cargo area actually is for a 91

i have started the UHF install and for some reason i always need to do something DIY as its never straight forward
well behind the dash under the stereo there is a small metal cross member, using a bit of ally angle i measured it all up cut it and did a trial run - what do ya know i reckon this will work!! i pop riveted the uhf bracket to the top of the angle and did another trial run... it fits with room to spare

so using the trusty tech screws i screwed the angle onto the cross member and did another trial run with the uhf slotting it in place all i could do was

everything fit nicely so thats where i finished tonight before it got dark heres some pics of the half finished product

after i put the dash back together i have this black plastic that i am going to cut out a rectangle to slide over the uhf to cover the gaping hole around it since it is so much smaller than a normal din unit

should turn out tops

#5 ·
well today i thought i might keep going on the patrol just doing bits and pieces to gradually make it how i want it. This morning i thought to myself yep definately gonna finish the UHF

antenna got mounted on the bullbar (6db Benelec)

i got a GME SPK04 external speaker so i mounted that in the centre console, ran the cable under the carpet and up into the dash

mounted the handpiece on the ashtray as this was the spot that seemed to work the bet and not stick out the dogs nutz

now this was my nice custom black plastic facia panel, makes the install look nearly fatory (you can see it good in the pic above)

i'm happy with how it all turned out looks tops, works first go now i need to play around with the squelch hahaha

#6 ·
after the UHF install i was bored so i decided to spruce up the rear bumper ends, the previous owner gave me some nice scratches and surface rust on the bumper ends so i decided to rub them back and give them a new lease of life

before - i gave them a quick sand with some 800

masking up as taking this off to paint is a *****

all primed up ready to paint

i decided to go a hammertone charcoal so it sorta disguises a few of the imperfections, so the end result

#10 ·
thanks guys there were only two previous owners the last owner neglected it alittle bit in regards to bodywork but the mechnicals are A1

a few little rust spots and scratches galore but my old man used to be a panelbeater spraypainter so he'll just give the patrol a once over

plans for the near future:

chuck my 30mm coil spacers in so i should be on the thick end of a 3in lift, install my 3in dobinson shocks, tough dog rtc steering damper, i have a set of 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Wrangler MTR's off my mate they are on 15x8 steelies, diff breather extensions, re-wire all the accessories on the vehicle as it is just one big birdsnest hahahaah

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.