aircon condenser fan - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > Nissan Patrol and Safari Models > Nissan Patrol GQ/Y60 & Ford Maverick

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2010, 08:49 PM

Cool aircon condenser fan

GQ on LPG over heats on hot days, but only when aircon is going !! i thought it was a radiator problem with aircon puting extra load on the engine...have just realised condenser fan isnt running... tested fan on its own and all good!! does anyone know were i can find the relay for that fan ? i found the relay for the compressor but that seems to be working ok! i was told that fan and compressor should be on same relay ??? conFUSED and sweaty HEEEEELLLLLP cheers !!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2010, 01:13 PM

I was supposed to drive to Adelaide Saturday, but put it off to sunday so I could reco the fan clutch, which had made a big difference to water temp. Wouyldn't have known how cept for the post/photos/info on thi site .

I had never seen/heard my aircon fan working, so on the offchance a local auto electrician was still working at 4.30pm Saturday, I swung past.

In my 1989 gq the relay was under the black tin next to the battery, and was the one closet the front of the car. Turned out that an inline glass fuse that attached to the posotive terminal of the battery was making intermitant contact, so I got him to replace it with a new blade style fuse holder .

We were undecided whether the relay was suspect, ie aircon activated or temp activated, so I got him to replace it as well.

So yesterday when I drove to Adelaide the aircons never been so cold, and the engine temps where around 78 .

Don't know if this helps
cheers Greg
BLUE OVER SILVER Club member #20
Schwitzer Club Member #1
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-12-2010, 01:33 PM

Garage

I bypassed the wiring on my fan so that it is running all the time when the aircon is switched on as I had the same problem, fan was good but was not working.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:35 PM

thanks for the info guys ! at least the problem seems to be getting more simple.. was just about to have my radiator done then heard fan was more likely the problem, then nearly bought new fan but it tested ok....so now i can just look at fuses ect. i noticed in that relay box there was a relay plug with no relay on it ( this could be for an option ) .. would anyone know what the sticker would have on it for the relay im looking for ?
Old 06-12-2010, 03:41 PM

@branchy... that sounds like a good idea ! can i wire it to the relay that works the compressor ? so when compressor is running so is fan ? silly or smart ? let me know.. im no auto electrician. cheers !!
Old 08-12-2010, 10:13 AM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol patrol View Post
@branchy... that sounds like a good idea ! can i wire it to the relay that works the compressor ? so when compressor is running so is fan ? silly or smart ? let me know.. im no auto electrician. cheers !!
No, i wouldn't do it that way, i'd wire it to the a/c in-cab switch (through a relay) that way it works while the a/c is on, not just cutting in and out with the compressor.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmagnet View Post
I was supposed to drive to Adelaide Saturday, but put it off to sunday so I could reco the fan clutch, which had made a big difference to water temp. Wouyldn't have known how cept for the post/photos/info on thi site .

I had never seen/heard my aircon fan working, so on the offchance a local auto electrician was still working at 4.30pm Saturday, I swung past.

In my 1989 gq the relay was under the black tin next to the battery, and was the one closet the front of the car. Turned out that an inline glass fuse that attached to the posotive terminal of the battery was making intermitant contact, so I got him to replace it with a new blade style fuse holder .

We were undecided whether the relay was suspect, ie aircon activated or temp activated, so I got him to replace it as well.

So yesterday when I drove to Adelaide the aircons never been so cold, and the engine temps where around 78 .

Don't know if this helps
cheers Greg
Where is the fan. Is it between the raidiator and the condenser?
Old 09-12-2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
Where is the fan. Is it between the raidiator and the condenser?

I have and electrically powered fan thats between the grill and the face of the aircon condenser(radiator) and is actually bolted to the air condensor. I have read that the Safaris actually came out with two and there is provision for the second fan to be plugged into the wiring loom.
BLUE OVER SILVER Club member #20
Schwitzer Club Member #1
Old 09-12-2010, 06:31 PM
BLACK BETTY

Some models don;t have a fan a all. Well my Maverick doesn't.
I had one on the shorty but never saw in run. I did check one day and the fan did spin. I believe the fan is triggered by the pressure switch screwed into the receiver dyer.

92 Ford Maverick Turbo Diesel. 2 inch lift, bull bar, fridge. Lots more to come.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmagnet View Post
I have and electrically powered fan thats between the grill and the face of the aircon condenser(radiator) and is actually bolted to the air condensor. I have read that the Safaris actually came out with two and there is provision for the second fan to be plugged into the wiring loom.
Cant seem to see one, but its difficult without removing the grill, I will have a go at it again over the weekend.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2P'sinapatrol View Post
Some models don;t have a fan a all.
Yep, my 1991 Ti doesn't have one.
Getting your aircon fan to work may help a bit (at low speeds) but it's not the cause of your cooling problem.

If the temp goes up to about 3/4 on a decent hill (without A/C) and then cools off straight after then I'd be re-packing the main fan clutch, there is a how to in the DIY section.

4.2..........I'll be there after you!
Old 10-12-2010, 08:32 AM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamj001 View Post
No, i wouldn't do it that way, i'd wire it to the a/c in-cab switch (through a relay) that way it works while the a/c is on, not just cutting in and out with the compressor.
Yep, thats what I have done. Easy to do. As I am in the NT my aircon and fan are running the time so it helps here.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:43 PM

yeah good point Liam.. wasn't thinking of compressor cutting in and out..i was talking to a radiator dude who has done nothing but for 30 years, he said it was a common fault with early patrols ( mine is a 92 ti ) even worse on LPG. Condenser gets real hot when fan not working..adds heaps of temp to the radiator. It only seems to happen when aircon is on, so i have to assume it has to do with the crap fan !! time to see an auto electrician me thinks !! thanks for info guys !
Old 11-12-2010, 06:38 PM

sound like the hp switch ontop of the receiver drier is shot, like mine undo the plug which only has two wires and make a loop to bypass the switch, the fan will run whenever the aircon is on.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:25 PM
Part Of The Furniture Round Here

Send a message via MSN to BeNos

just run a second relay switching off the compressor so when the compresser is pumping so is the fan. wouldnt be real hard.
mine has one fan that never worked. i had a play round with it. cant remember for the life of me what it was but i got it working eventually. off memory was bad earths or something. but did make a difference to a/c temp and also engine temp a tad.
the other thing is its possible for their to be to much gas in the a/c system. this cause extremely high temps thru the condenser which will cause low a/c performance and engine overheating.
an auto elec is your best bet though if not real good with wiring and the likes.
Old 15-12-2010, 08:52 PM

still havn't had time to get to it yet but thanks for all your sugestions..let you know how we go !!
Old 16-12-2010, 07:39 PM

It doesnt make a difference to the Air con if you have the fan running with the compressor or running all the time....as long as the fan is on while the compressor is pumping then its all good.
Old 16-12-2010, 09:42 PM

I wired mine up so it comes on when the compressor is on. From memory I did this because the HP switch that controls the fan would not close. It has been wired like this for a couple of years now with no problems.

4.2litre Diesel Club #84, ST Club #153
90 GQ TD 4.2 LWB 2" lift, Safari snorkel, ARB winch bar, GME UHF & Codan HF radio's, dual batteries, Firestone air bags, overhead console & dashpod.
Old 17-12-2010, 09:29 AM

I added a second thermo fan to mine and connected both fans up through a seperate relay with a manual override switch and indicator LED on the dash. The separate relay is powered by the standard relay which normally powers the standard (?) single fan, or by the override switch on the dash. Therefore I know when the fans are on because the LED indicator is on. With the override switch I can turn the thermo fans on on hot days to assist in cooling, whether sitting at traffic lights or pulling loads at low speed, whether the air conditioner is on or not.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification