Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

Buying

2K views 31 replies 11 participants last post by  Overboard 
#1 ·
Is it worth buying a td42 gq if so what am I to look out for and what to expect thanks pros and cons too

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Is it worth buying a td42 gq if so what am I to look out for and what to expect thanks pros and cons too
You are the only person that can determine if buying one is worth while.

Pros

Tough as nails.
One of the most capable offroad vehicles ever made.
Reliable engine and drive train.
Cheap to buy.
Good availability of parts (considering its age).
Easy to modify for better power and better offroad.

Cons

Old.
Relatively gutless in stock form.
Noisy.
Thirsty.

There is a whole subsection on Buying a Patrol. Do a search and have a read.

#9 ·
Pros

Tough as nails.
One of the most capable offroad vehicles ever made.
Reliable engine and drive train.
Cheap to buy.
Good availability of parts (considering its age).
Easy to modify for better power and better offroad.

Cons

Old.
Relatively gutless in stock form.
Noisy.
Thirsty.
A perfect summary, after owning mine for 18 months that is EXACTLY what it is :)

But I'll add to the Pros list - character. My old girl is just a hell of a lot of fun to punt around, regardless of what I'm doing with her.

#30 ·
They don't even use that much Diesel really. I've got a turbocharged (no cooler) TD42 on 33s and I usually get around 11-12L/km regardless of what driving I'm doing (except low range). Great car if your mechanical knowledge is lacking, for the most part they are really easy to work on and fix.

Only downsides are their age and cost of fixing a major issue. If the deisel pump goes your up for around $1500 to rebuild the stock one or as much as $3500 for the top of the range. If the engine goes your up for a lot more.

#32 ·
Get a compression check done on it. Some are stuffed at that age while others are only at half life. Generally about 350k is when the pump needs some work so factor that in along with new shocks, suspension bushes and engine mounts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.