carb vac lines, missfire and strong smell of fuel - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > Nissan Patrol and Safari Models > Nissan Patrol GQ/Y60 & Ford Maverick

Patrol4x4.com is the premier Nissan Patrol Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2017, 06:44 AM

right so i have come to realise alot of the vac lines are missing its a tb42 carb, dizzy advance and the whole charcoal cannister asaembly is missing. also alot of vac ports on the carb with nothing connected. can anyone shed any light on the vac line locations?

BCDD solenoid wires have been cut and vac line is missing, whats the best way to remove? will this cause any issue?

also there is a strong smell of fuel if i open the window while driving, had the carb refurbed along with new fuel pump and filter. i cant find any visible leaks and the smell goes away as soon as you slow down or stop with the motor running. is there some kind of overflow? or has this got something to do with the charcoal cannister being missing?

also getting quite a bad missfire at low revs when the weather is cold. for example of i stop at a speedbump in second and try and get back on the gas. the car splutters badly but clears up. overall the car drives ok but the fuel consumption isnt great at all.

any help on these issues will be much appreciated. sorry for the essay.

thanks in advance

Last edited by qatarY60; 06-01-2017 at 08:22 AM. Reason: forgot information
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2017, 07:26 PM
Part Of The Furniture Round Here

BCDD should be ok without any external vacuum lines connecting to it 'cos I reckon for carby manual RB30s and TB42s it's not that critical(mine has external BCDD vacuum line vented to outside, mine's an RB30, but it's the same carby on both engines)

Dizzy advance should be there. If it's completely missing, I would find a new or used dizzy advance diaphragm unit and connect it accordingly. If it's just the vacuum lines from dizzy advance, then the vacuum line should connect to the TVV(thermal vacuum valve).

Charcoal canister is NOT critical for engine running. It's there for emission control needs.
If the vacuum lines are properly blocked, then the removal of charcoal canister has no effect on the engine.

Open vacuum lines on the carby is a real concern. The engine would run like a bastard or not run at all with open vacuum lines. You need to sort out all the vacuum leaks before you start going anywhere with fixing any fuel consumption or misfiring issues.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-01-2017, 07:27 PM

Use the information and diagrams in the below thread of mine to sort out your vacuum lines & any vacuum leaks.

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/4029914-post1.html

Old 06-01-2017, 07:38 PM

Back firing is a good indication of running lean due to vacuum leaks. If it's on LPG it would run like an absolute bastard with any vacuum leaks.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:30 PM

thanks for the replys, i will connect all the lines and see where im at, thanks!
Old 07-01-2017, 08:50 AM

As already stated the Charcoal canister is for emission purposes. The role of the Charcoal canister is to collect fuel vapours from the fuel system ( mainly the fuel tank) and allow them to be burnt up by the engine when above idle speed. If the system is blocked up it will not allow the evaporating fuel vapours anywhere to go until they force there way out past bolts, ball bearings and whatever else has been used to seal up the hoses. If they are not sealed then it will just vent into the atmosphere (also costing $$$). This may be your fuel smell.

The carby should have two vac ports that connect to a valve on the Charcoal canister. One of them should have suction when the engine is above idle speed. This is the one that opens the venting valve on the Charcoal canister allowing fuel vapours to be burnt up in the engine. Venting the canister at cruising speeds means that it won't mess with the idle mixture settings.

EFI equipped cars fitted with O2 sensors will actually lean off the fuel mixtures when additional fuel vapours are released into the engine, saving fuel by compensating for what is added.

Cheers
RD
The Following User Says Thank You to Red Dirt For This Useful Post:
dom14 (07-01-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 11:30 AM

thanks for the input guys,

i might add the smell is only when the drivers window is opened (LHD). nothing through AC vents or anything. but when the window is open its chokingly strong. cant see any ovious signs of leakage anyway.

thanks!
Old 09-01-2017, 01:21 PM

Get a used charcoal canister unit and connect it.

It might be a good idea to find out exactly where the petrol/petrol fumes are leaking from.
It can be from the fuel supply/return lines, carby, etc as well.