Clutch on GQ - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > Nissan Patrol and Safari Models > Nissan Patrol GQ/Y60 & Ford Maverick

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16-12-2009, 08:01 AM

Send a message via MSN to BrentE
Default Clutch on GQ

Hey, i've just recently bought gq swb and i have some weird things going on with clutch.
Ocasionally Shifting from 4th to 3rd clutch goes all heavy and is hard to push in. Also 3rd to 2nd at times. Any other time the clutch is fine. Clutch fluid is high, and the guy that i bought it off said it has aftermarket clutch i think RPM brand.
Is this something i should be worried about, or is it just something my clutch does?

Thanks brent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16-12-2009, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentE View Post
Hey, i've just recently bought gq swb and i have some weird things going on with clutch.
Ocasionally Shifting from 4th to 3rd clutch goes all heavy and is hard to push in. Also 3rd to 2nd at times. Any other time the clutch is fine. Clutch fluid is high, and the guy that i bought it off said it has aftermarket clutch i think RPM brand.
Is this something i should be worried about, or is it just something my clutch does?

Thanks brent
Hey doesnt sound like something a clutch should do to me,strange that it's gear specific,you've probably already done but i'd check simple stuff first like something fouling
pedal itself
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 16-12-2009, 10:25 AM

hey mate may be low vacume at the clutch booster or a leaking clutch booster
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 16-12-2009, 11:07 AM
mechanical necromancer

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to davess

have a look at the slave too, they are an item that fails fairly regurlarly if the vehicle is off road. peel the dust cover back on it and look for fluid loss..
Old 16-12-2009, 11:13 AM
Quickest Tyre Deflator On The Market

Garage

yep, faulty booster or a vacuum leak
Old 16-12-2009, 11:26 AM

The guy i bought it off said he replaced master and slave not long ago, he may have lied but it looks like new. Although i did top up fluid about 1 week ago and since then nearly 1/4 of refill cylinder has been used.

Last edited by BrentE; 16-12-2009 at 11:34 AM.
Old 16-12-2009, 11:55 AM

yeh sounds stupid i know but i think my clutch is easier to push in if i give it a bit of a rev first, i put this down to vac leak but to be honest i really dont know, its still easy to push in and change gears so im not worried
Old 16-12-2009, 12:01 PM
mechanical necromancer

Garage

Quote:
The guy i bought it off said he replaced master and slave not long ago, he may have lied but it looks like new. Although i did top up fluid about 1 week ago and since then nearly 1/4 of refill cylinder has been used.

any fluid loss or paint peeling underneath the master where it bolts onto the vac assist unit? i'd check that and get under it and have a look at the slave too, unfortunately the slave can go pretty regularly in these especially the aftermarket ones. on the up side they are quick and easy to replace but you will need someone to help you bleed it.
Old 16-12-2009, 12:06 PM
Quickest Tyre Deflator On The Market

Garage

Quote:
You should'nt have to top it up that often, if fluid can get out, air can get in, you may have a slight leak at the slave or the master cylinder/, look for signs of a fluid leak under the dash where the brake booster enters the firewall.
Old 16-12-2009, 03:32 PM

Thanks for replys, ill give it a look over again in the spots u's mentioned. That suxs how they go through them quickly.
Old 16-12-2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Thanks for replys, ill give it a look over again in the spots u's mentioned. That suxs how they go through them quickly.
not that quickly - my first one lasted 16 years and would have lasted longer if I hadn't missed one 2 year fluid change cycle about 6 years before it finally died.
Old 16-12-2009, 09:14 PM
Part Of The Furniture Round Here

Send a message via MSN to BeNos

my original one was well over 17 years old and really looked as if it was probs never changed fluid wise. both aftermarket now with plenty of wheeling offroad and no dramas as yet. touch wood
as said it shoudnt use fluid ever if there is no leaks. ive never had to top up my clutch fluid in over 12 months. check either the slave the master, or even on mine the flexy clutch line that runs to the master split causing no pedal at all and a slow trip to tafe. so check there. its on the passenger side of the vehicle, basically runs down the firewall to the clutch slave cylinder and is a black rubber hose.
Old 17-12-2009, 06:43 PM

Ok well something has went wrong with clutch again... went for short drive come back to car started it up wouldnt go into 1st.. had to pretty much ram it into 1st then made crunch noise then had very little clutch (pretty much nothing), then it got better but all my clutch is just as you take your foot off floor. And theres barely any clutch left too use now.

Anyone know what the hell is going on?

cheers brent
Old 17-12-2009, 10:33 PM
mechanical necromancer

Garage

just a wild stab in the dark here but i'm going with you have no hydraulics (well ok limited perhaps) this is why it's really hard (krunchy) to get into gear, something is leaking somewhere between the master cylinder and the slave.

OR... you have a bent clutch fork (expensive gearbox out type problem)

OR 2.0.... your pressue plate is fragged (see abobe + add cost of clutch)

I'd be crawling under and checking the slave, then the flex hose and vac assist unit (for leakage)

but my tip (and because i've done 2 of the phuckers) is SLAVE....
Old 18-12-2009, 04:39 AM

Garage

Quote:
Ok well something has went wrong with clutch again... went for short drive come back to car started it up wouldnt go into 1st.. had to pretty much ram it into 1st then made crunch noise then had very little clutch (pretty much nothing), then it got better but all my clutch is just as you take your foot off floor. And theres barely any clutch left too use now.

Anyone know what the hell is going on?

cheers brent

this happened to me last week had to get a tow truck home cause i physically couldnt get it into gear turned out the clutch slave had crapped itself even with full fluid it still wouldnt go into gear
Old 18-12-2009, 08:08 AM

Hmm yer thats what i thought it could also be the clutch plate and throw out bearing.. but as winga said he had exact same problem as me. Since i have been losing fluid it proberly is Master and clutch slave. And i did find a leak around master cylinder. At gf's in brisbane at the moment, going back to parents this weekend (rainbow beach) ill check it out then.

thanks for help

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification