Front mount intercooler questions? - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > Nissan Patrol and Safari Models > Nissan Patrol GQ/Y60 & Ford Maverick

Patrol4x4.com is the premier Nissan Patrol Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2017, 11:50 AM

Default Front mount intercooler questions?

Going to fit s front mount just need a little advice.

1). Does removing the support in the middle from bonnet catch down have any adverse affects?

2). Does removing the air con thermo have any adverse affects?

3). I've read to buy decent intercooler hose ( rubber/ silicone) where from and how do I know there any good?

4). Do I need to rubber mount the intercooler?

5). Was thinking a aeroflow cooler but is it worth spending extra on a pwr or the like?

Thanks Rob
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2017, 02:45 PM
Part Of The Furniture Round Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89gqpatrol4x4 View Post
Going to fit s front mount just need a little advice.

1). Does removing the support in the middle from bonnet catch down have any adverse affects?

2). Does removing the air con thermo have any adverse affects?

3). I've read to buy decent intercooler hose ( rubber/ silicone) where from and how do I know there any good?

4). Do I need to rubber mount the intercooler?

5). Was thinking a aeroflow cooler but is it worth spending extra on a pwr or the like?

Thanks Rob
1 Yes it will effect the bonnet. I had a bracket welded to the top plate of the ic that bolts to the catch. Its significantly stronger than without.

2 No

3 When choosing your hoses stick to brands named hoses that areat least 4 ply.

4 No

5 Imho no.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to Sméagol For This Useful Post:
89gqpatrol4x4 (06-01-2017)
Old 07-01-2017, 08:05 PM

Haven't touched any of the a/c system to fit mine.

I don't know if everyone has had to do this with their front mount but I had to trim a fair bit off the back of the grill to get it in ended up cutting all the fins out and fitted mesh which was better in the long run and if you happen to stuff it up it's pretty cheap to replace the whole grill.

Think I got my hoses from Autobarn

Mine is mounted without rubber supports their not necessary, I put thread lock on all the bolts so they don't come loose.

Don't know about AeroFlow they look ok, don't cost a fortune like some. I have a frozen boost it's been fine sturdy, well made http://www.frozenboost.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to Batt's For This Useful Post:
89gqpatrol4x4 (07-01-2017)

Old 07-01-2017, 11:11 PM

Thanks mate, what size cooler is it? And do you have any pics? Did you leave the support in place aswell?
Old 08-01-2017, 08:11 PM

If your asking me I'm out of town in another vehicle have to look at it again when I get home.

The only pic I took is in another thread go to DIY section then click on search type in grill mesh you will sort of see how close the intercooler is to the grill they don't have a lot of room there that's why I removed the grill fins altogether. I can take some more pics when I get home if you need them.

On their site it's a Type 7... 29" x 6" x 2 1/2" on small but makes a difference next time I wouldn't mind a bigger intercooler maybe the next size up but it will just mainly help the torque so it hold gears longer on hills but it may not be worth it because the bull bar and winch will restrict air flow.
The Following User Says Thank You to Batt's For This Useful Post:
89gqpatrol4x4 (08-01-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 12:23 PM

Garage

I'm in the process of doing mine. I made a bracket that mounts the top of the cooler to the top bolt and same on the bottom, acts as the new bonnet latch support. I removed the aircon fan and moved the condenser back a bit to make life easier with the grill (don't think I needed to). Haven't started the piping yet and expect it to be a PITA but fairly straightforward. I didn't use any rubber for the install. I'm getting most of my piping welded as price difference shouldn't be that much once you take into account joiners and quality clamps. I went plazmaman cooler but aeroflow were my second choice.

11xp Runva winch
The Following User Says Thank You to BeerBandito For This Useful Post:
89gqpatrol4x4 (09-01-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 08:35 PM

Are you using alley or stainless for your pipes?
Old 10-01-2017, 08:23 AM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89gqpatrol4x4 View Post
Are you using alley or stainless for your pipes?
Stainless due to easier access and a mate has the gear to weld it.
11xp Runva winch
The Following User Says Thank You to BeerBandito For This Useful Post:
89gqpatrol4x4 (10-01-2017)