Which Gearbox? - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > Nissan Patrol and Safari Models > Nissan Patrol GQ/Y60 & Ford Maverick

Patrol4x4.com is the premier Nissan Patrol Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-04-2017, 11:01 AM

Default Which Gearbox?

Firstly, please forgive my lack of patrol knowledge!

I have a 1985 Land Rover 90 with a 350 Chev and GQ Patrol gearbox (5 speed manual) and diffs. (crazy amount of fun to drive with so much power in a light short wheel base 4x4!)

The gearbox has crapped itself and I am planning to swap it out for a replacement, the problem is I am not sure what engine the gearbox was originally bolted to.

I had a crawl under there with a torch but couldn't find any numbers stamped on it, I might just have been looking in the wrong place though. Can anyone point me in the direction of a gearbox number or any other way to identify which box I have.

Or does it even matter, will any GQ 5 speed box mount up to the adaptor plate?

Thanks for the help!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-04-2017, 11:38 AM

Here is the car as it stands. The extra track width of the patrol diffs mean that the tyres just about fit under the guards!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 21-04-2017, 11:44 AM
Part Of The Furniture Round Here

Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,215 Posts

That looks great.
2008 GU Wagon. Hybrid. Silver Patrol Member#74. V8 Member # 17. Now retired doctrinaire extraordinaire

Old 21-04-2017, 08:52 PM
Master Coalroller

Garage

Post up some photos of the box, above if possible and from each side below. Also pics of front and rear of transfer case. Then someone will be able to identify that way.
Old 22-04-2017, 04:44 AM
..Hollywood..

Thanked 6,010 Times in 3,320 Posts
Garage

It will almost definitely be from a 4.2 litre (doesn't matter if diesel or petrol), as the smaller box (from 2.8 dsl and 3.0 petrol) is weaker and you wouldn't have got a bellhousing to suit the chevy.

Chevy conversions in GQs with the larger box are very common, so conversion kits readily available.

If you're in Australia you wouldn't want to pay more than $300 for a good second hand one, but be aware they are very heavy, around the 160kg odd mark with transfer.

In the patrol, if you don't have a hoist you'd usually remove passenger seat and stick the jib of an engine crane in there and hold up the gearbox through the hole in the transmission tunnel to get it in, even then it's a bugger.

There's no point in me agreeing with you, then we'd both be wrong.
Old 22-04-2017, 09:21 AM
..Hollywood..

Garage

I'd love to see a pic of how you've squeezed a patrol box and a front tail shaft between the narrow chassis rails of a Land Rover!

Not easy at all, good effort

Old 24-04-2017, 01:21 AM
Part Of The Furniture Round Here

Garage

I have dreamt this exact setup.
So bloody jealous mate
And its actually doable........woohoo haha

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Expect the best, plan for the worst, and prepare to be surprised.
Old 25-04-2017, 05:24 PM

Thanks for the help guys, really not a lot of room to get decent photos down there but i did discover some numbers on the box above the PTO.

You can see what is written there, have googled and not much came up. Also cast into the block it looks like 01J01 02 9018 I had a google around and again it didn't seem to bring anything up

Does this look like the 4.2 box to anyone?

I will be selling the PTO along with the winch and the drive shafts if anyone is interested. I replaced the seals on the PTO when I installed the box as they were weeping but I have never installed the winch.
Old 25-04-2017, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavensent View Post
I have dreamt this exact setup.
So bloody jealous mate
And its actually doable........woohoo haha

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
I am actually going to sell it once I sort the gearbox out, got the 1st kid due in a couple of weeks.

I made a noble effort to get it over the line and even installed and engineered a rear seat complete with child seat anchor points but I couldn't get it over the line with the boss.

Not that she is making me sell it, but it's too noisy / windy / smelly for her and the baby so it just wont get any use.

Plus I also built this for camping

Old 25-04-2017, 07:30 PM
..Hollywood..

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitterbug View Post
Thanks for the help guys, really not a lot of room to get decent photos down there but i did discover some numbers on the box above the PTO.

You can see what is written there, have googled and not much came up. Also cast into the block it looks like 01J01 02 9018 I had a google around and again it didn't seem to bring anything up

Does this look like the 4.2 box to anyone?

I will be selling the PTO along with the winch and the drive shafts if anyone is interested. I replaced the seals on the PTO when I installed the box as they were weeping but I have never installed the winch.
Well I'd be extremely surprised if there was a pto option on the smaller box so that's another point for the 4.2 box

Old 26-04-2017, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leethal View Post
Well I'd be extremely surprised if there was a pto option on the smaller box so that's another point for the 4.2 box
Correct. No PTO option on the small gearbox, hence it must be from a 4.2.
Old 26-04-2017, 06:45 AM

PTO can be found on very few 2.8 but not on small gearbox ( OE for nordic countries ) .

Anyway , small gearbox on 2.8 is cast in aluminium alloy .
Old 26-04-2017, 07:47 AM

Awesome, thanks for the help guys!

Now to find a decent 4.2 box for sale!
Old 26-04-2017, 10:09 AM
Safari Hoarder

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cos View Post
PTO can be found on very few 2.8 but not on small gearbox ( OE for nordic countries ) .

Anyway , small gearbox on 2.8 is cast in aluminium alloy .
Yup, 2.8 in Denmark had PTO option.

Jitterbug, where in the world are you?
Old 26-04-2017, 12:10 PM
Master Coalroller

Garage

MQ/K had two different sets of boxes, one type was separated from the transfer by a cardan joint, that one was only in LWB models from memory.

Agreed that the transfer case connection appears to be GQ/U in the limited viewpoint in the pictures though.