GQ manual trans question? Rear main seal. - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > Nissan Patrol and Safari Models > Nissan Patrol GQ/Y60 & Ford Maverick

Patrol4x4.com is the premier Nissan Patrol Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19-05-2017, 01:20 PM

Default GQ manual trans question? Rear main seal.

Cheers, I have a 93 TB42 carby that has started to leak a bit from the bottom of the trans. Now, initially I thought it was the rear main seal but it started almost immediately after I had replaced the starter. So here is my theory (probably more wishful thinking) while underneath changing out the starter I noticed some blue silicone sealant between the trans bell housing and the steel cover plate. So I thought this was a good indication that someone had probably used sealer when changing the clutch and since I bought the trol used with 275 k I often wondered when the the clutch might go. So, while under the trol I made the big mistake of cleaning up some residual oil that had collected on the bottom of the bell housing. Not a lot mind you and it never leaked. I also foolishly poked and peeled some of the gasket sealer off the bottom as well. So later that week I noticed my first drip ever from the bell housing. I am hopeful that by peeling the silicone gasket sealer I opened the dam and years of oil had collected and was draining so my rear main seal leak may be negligible. My question is what is the little small rubber "plug" for at the very bottom of the bell housing? Can I pull it out? Any ideas what it's for? TIA for any input theories or wild ass guesses.... I did used a half dose of Nulon leak stop but it's too soon to tell. I am not a big fan of snake oil although I did have a %100 success with a leaky ford rear main with Valvoline high mileage motor oil. I would use some now but just changed my oil 500k ago. Thanks in advance for your time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-05-2017, 04:06 PM
Part Of The Furniture Round Here

Water get into the bell housing during water crossings, etc.

The rubber plug is there to drain any water trapped inside, which can develop rust & gunk issue over time.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to dom14 For This Useful Post:
rwcfrank (19-05-2017)