GQ Repower with GU4.2tdt - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > Nissan Patrol and Safari Models > Nissan Patrol GQ/Y60 & Ford Maverick

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17-03-2007, 11:09 AM

Default GQ Repower with GU4.2tdt

Hi,
Has anyone repowered a GQ with a factory gu 4.2 inter cooled turbo motor? i am thinking of buying a engine from the wreckers preferable low k's. mine currenty is a 4.2. does it bolt staright in? any wireing mods? do you need a engineers certificate? (in victoria). and if some one has approx how much was the cost?

cheers!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-03-2007, 06:23 AM
4x4 Addiction

Try Marks Adaptors they have a lot of info on engine swaps! Cost this depends how much you pay for your new engine and sell the old one, are you getting someone to do the engine swap or are you going to go it yourself?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 18-03-2007, 07:47 AM

I'm pretty sure you don't need an engineers cert here in NSW for that kind of swap as it is the same motor. They're both TD42's, but Vic rules may differ.
For the price of a second hand GU motor you could buy an aftermarket turbo kit for your motor anyway. Is yours tired or are you just chasing some more grunt? The internals in the earlier motor are stronger than the GU motor aswell. Something to consider?
Old 18-03-2007, 10:18 AM
Give it some goat

Send a message via MSN to 89 GQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4bdan
The internals in the earlier motor are stronger than the GU motor aswell. Something to consider?
Not trying to take the piss but i knew that the internals from 88-93 were stronger than the other GQ's but i am fairly sure that nissan changed back with the introduction of the GU?

Cheers chris
Old 18-03-2007, 10:42 AM
SUI GENERIS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89 GQ
Not trying to take the piss but i knew that the internals from 88-93 were stronger than the other GQ's but i am fairly sure that nissan changed back with the introduction of the GU?

Cheers chris
All GU turbo motors have the heavier pistons and rods which are a little heavier than the 88-Aug 93 motor. but more importantly they have the oil squarters in the side of the block to squart oil onto the piston crown to cool it. The non turbo models after Aug 93 do not have these which can cause piston failure when chasing to much power when turboed, also the piston is a little lighter which doesn't help.

Peter
Old 18-03-2007, 03:22 PM

mine has a aftermarket turbo fitted and is getting tired, im just wondering which is the cheaper option? to fit a low km gu motor that is intercooled

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification